Tuesday, August 9, 2011

We got haircuts to donate to a good cause! Cassoulet recipe too :-)

Hayley has wanted to cut her long beautiful for about a year now and I've resisted, but today we had a mother/daughter day and decided we both would cut off about 12 inches to donate to Pantene Beautiful lengths program to make wigs for cancer patients. You can find out more here. There is also the locks of love organization but they do tend to be a bit more selective with the hair that is donated. So our salon recommended Pantene's program. Either one is a great way to enrich a life! You can find out more about locks of love here.

My "little" Hayley looks so grown up! Jerry didn't know we were getting it done and when he saw her he got tears in his eyes. His little girl is growing up! She is very happy to be helping others and loves her new style!
I'm pretty happy with mine too, it's a lot lighter and has more style then before! Jerry has always liked my hair better short, which is odd I think because most guys I know like long hair on women usually. :-)





Silliness! LOL

Hayley's they took off in one big ponytail, but mine came off in about 6 small because of the cut I was getting. :-)
Love these mother daughter moments.....

I also made a quick yummy supper tonight.
Skillet Cassoulet

2 sprays cooking spray or more to coat skillet
1 medium onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced (medium)
8 oz sausage low fat (I used turkey and added in some extra) cut into bite size pieces
1/4 tsp dried thyme
3/4 cups canned chicken broth
30 oz canned great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs

Preheat broiler

Coat a nonstick ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and heat (I actually used a regular nonstick and it works just as well)
Add onion, garlic, sausage and saute till onion is tender about 3 to 4 mins.
Add thyme, broth,beans and tomato paste...simmer 10 mins. or so

Sprinkle bread crumbs over beans. Place skillet under broiler until bread crumbs are browned about 30 seconds. Then Enjoy!!


This was still during the cooking process so the meat is still a bit pink here...be sure to cook thoroughly!

Well it's 10:30 PM and I have to be up at 3:30 AM to take Jerry in to have knee surgery tomorrow so I better try to get some rest. That's hard because I'm a night owl! :-)

A few of you have asked how much exercise program is going....it's great and I love it! I am also working on a clean eating diet plan and another program I may be starting once the girls are back to school so I'll keep you posted. So far I've lost an inch off my arms and thighs and 2 inches from my chest! I'm loving weight lifting and I am feeling so much better by taking care of myself. As I mentioned I have always ran ragged for others but realized my health has suffered. To be the best I can for my family I need to take care of myself and be there for them a long time. :-) We only get one body and one chance. I'll be posting more soon!!

Blessings,
Jill

19 comments:

Natasha in Oz said...

What a wonderful thing you both did. No wonder your husband got a bit teary. You are both so very kind. You both also look fantastic too! I love the new styles.

Thanks for sharing that yummy recipe, Jill. I will try it soon as it combines two things our family loves; sausages and beans!

Best wishes and happy week,
Natasha.

Sweet Tea said...

That's right up there with people who give their blood for others - what FANTASTIC citizens and what a great example you set for each of us...I went with my sister to buy a wig when she was going through chemo and what a wonderful thing it is to be afforded a wig during such an emotional, painful, time in one's life.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Looking great. So thoughtful for you both to donate the cuttings for wigs. Thanks for your prayers. Blessings!
Lara

Heather said...

Oh how sweet!! Good Job~ what a wonderful Mother Daughter moment to share and you both look beautiful. And what a blessing to share you both had such beautiful hair it will make a wonderful wig. To think of the smiles you will put on another girls face when she tries on those beautiful locks ~Your hair looks great!! ~Love Heather

Cindy said...

What a fun and meaningful day to spend together!
love both new "do-s"!
have a happy day

Patti said...

I love the new hairstyles!!! Gorgeous...both of you!!

I had heard of the Locks of Love program but not the other one. I think programs like that are awesome!

How are you doing with the fact that Kathleen will be starting school? I was heartbroken when my younger child started kindergarten. (I homeschooled, but I didn't start doing that until he was in the middle of 1st grade, so I had a year and a half of no little ones at home.)

Have a great day.

Love,
Patti

Mark said...

Congratulations Ladies!
You "both" look so grown-up. What a great thing that you are doing. Had I known, I would have had you donate some hair to me. How about your youngest one? I could be a red head!
But seriously, how beautiful!
Your Friend, m.

Chelle said...

your hair and your daughters hair looks really cute. It feels good to do something nice.

Lori said...

OMG Jill: I love Hayley's hair - I have never ever seen her with shorter hair like that - it looks great! Don't get me wrong - your hair looks good too - but I have seen you with shorter hair! Love it!!!

SonyaAnn said...

"As I mentioned I have always ran ragged for others but realized my health has suffered."-Truer words never spoken!
I love your hair and that you did it together for such a wonderful cause is wonderful. Creating wonderful memories and instilling values-you are a great person!

~Niki~ said...

what a great cause. the haircuts are adorable. i went to the mexican ranch market here this a.m. and bought all the fixins for yummy chicken burritos. we'll see how they come out tonight. i bought homemade guacamole and pico de gallo YUM!

Kerri said...

You guys both look great! I've always thought shorter hair is more stylish! What a wonderful thing for the two of you to do together. Can't wait to hear about your exercise program. I plan to do more exercising once Brady is back to school. I've sorta let myself go this summer! (no good!)

McVal said...

AWE!!! That's so sweet! My girls both did that for Locks of Love. I didn't realize there was another place!

Sheila said...

Love the haircuts. Hayley does look more grown up. Where does the time go? I like your shorter do too--looks great!! I've wanted to try cassoulet for years now but thought it was too involved. I think I may just have to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing. I pray Jerry's surgery went well. Take care.

Lynn said...

I hope all goes well with your hubbys surgery :o)

Wonderful thing you and your daughter did donating your hair and both of yalls haircuts look so great and your right she does look all grown up now, awwwww its so sad they have to grow up I wish they could stay small longer :o)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Praying your husband's knee surgery goes well.

Like both your cuts. I would love to cut my hair shorter, but my hubby falls into the "likes his wife's hair longs" department.

Hope you're having a great summer!

God Bless,
Jackie

Miranda said...

LOVE it! Both of your hair looks great, and what a fantastic reason to chop it all off. ♥

Angie Berry said...

That is so awesome! I didn't realize your hair was that long too. Hayley does look so much more grown up now. Isn't it funny that a hair cut can change their looks so much? I love both of your cuts, pretty girls!

~ Noelle said...

i was looking at later posts (since they come in my feed that way) and was loving her new do! glad to see it was for a great cause...
yall both look fantastic :)