Wednesday, September 14, 2011

An incentive for good behavior and a little of what we've been up to! :-)

I have so many blog posts in my head and keep thinking tomorrow I'll get that together and posted..... whoops then busy schedules get in the way! But I'm lovin the good changes coming our way each day! Like getting healthier!! As I mentioned we joined our local YMCA and we have been going almost every day enjoying the benefits.

Last week Hayley and I started cycling/spinning classes and our butts were so sore from the seats! So upon recommendations from others Hayley and I went and bought a gel seat cushion to strap onto the bike seat.


What a huge difference!! So this week we concentrated on burning some serious calories!

I also enjoy speed walking on their track and 18 laps around is 1 mile. So I would find while I was bopping along at a steady pace listening to my music I kept forgetting how many laps I went around...so I came up with the idea to buy a pitch counter and each time I made a lap it was simple to press the button and record!



Having a busy schedule can make dinners a little challenging, but I am determined to stick to healthy eating and in order to do that it takes planning. Today I took some time to precook and chop up chicken, I diced up zucchini, peppers and onions and bought prepared mushrooms.


I put it all in the fridge for tonight and when we got home I sauteed it all in some olive oil. Quick and healthy meal :-) So worth the prep time. Healthy eating is possible but look at your family's schedule and plan accordingly to making healthy meals. :-) We have to make the time to serve our family healthy foods.

Kathleen has been loving Kindergarten and comes home full of stories every day. I love listening to all the things she does and all the new friends she is meeting. We work on reading and math and then have some fun! We took a trip to Barnes and Nobles over the weekend and she found this craft book she really liked.


It's a cute book and Kathleen really likes to cut things out and she's good at it! So most of the crafts are cut and paste, great for their fine motor skills. Simple and fun....here's a Giraffe she did. :-)

While we were busy learning Princess decided to curl up in Kathleen's doll carrier and go to sleep for a bit...


Whoops must have woken her up!



Kathleen also looks forward to special lunches and yummy snacks....one of her favorites being cherries



I also decided to make a behavior/ school incentive program for them. Their school uses red, yellow and green lights for behavior, so I decided to adapt my own version of it. If they do well the whole school year until June they get a special prize. Hayley has chosen an American Girl and Kathleen keeps changing her mind! LOL  But if they get on red 10 times then they don't earn it. This includes chores, good grades etc. so there are high expectations. So far it's going really well. Simple to make but very effective!



I don't know what I was thinking but I enrolled for 2, 6 week college courses and I have been swamped with reading, papers and discussions. Which is a big time zapper, plus running the kids to activities and trying to keep up with the house. So I'm feeling a little stressed lately....being able to exercise daily really helps though I find I look forward to it now.

This past Saturday was an emotional day for Jerry, he went out on a fishing trip with his twin brother and a few close childhood friends. They went to spread his younger brother's ashes....Hard to say final goodbyes.... still getting by day by day. Lots of emotions/questions still. Things I just can't post.
But on a good note Jerry was able to bring home some crabs and enjoy them in Patrick's memory. He was up most the night eating crabs and drinking beer. He's not a drinker normally but he said with the crabs it had to be done...lol. The whole time our cat Elvis sat behind him on a chair watching him. LOL


Rest In Peace Patrick....we miss you!

So what have you all been up to this week? Are you settling in to school schedules? Saving money? Caring for your health? Love to hear your thoughts!

Have a wonderful night!

Blessings,
Jill

12 comments:

Christy said...

I love doing crafty things with my girls too. That looks like a fun book :) The little giraffe turned out cute!

SonyaAnn said...

I don't know how you do it all and with a smile no less!
And great job on getting healthy! I'm proud of you!

Camille said...

You've got a lot going on there Jill! Wow...two six week courses??!! Good for you to be disciplined on the healthy eating and excercising routines...well done!! Keep it up! :)

Have a great evening!
Blessings,
Camille

Patti said...

Those blog posts that are running through your mind are great...but you are doing exactly what you need to be doing---caring for yourself and your family. Even if you don't get around to blogging, you can rest at the end of the day knowing that you took care of your priorities for the day. In other seasons of life, you will have more time for blogging. For now, just go with the flow.

Oh, planning the meals is definitely the key, isn't it? I don't do the cooking anymore (my daughter does) but several years ago, I learned the necessity of having my meals planned. Without that, we would eat on the run, and you know that means junk.

Oh, I hate beer, but I know from my husband you just have to have beer with crabs. At least that's what he says. I could probably do them with iced tea or wine!

Anyhow, love and hugs to you,
Patti

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I have so missed you and hearing about your family. I love that the kids are back in school and sharing their fun times with you. Also, the Y is a great place to work out together as a family.

I'm wanting to do the crab thing myself. I saw some people crabbing at the beach here and I was so fascinated, I didn't want to leave.

I promise I'll do better at coming by to visit.

What classes are you taking in college?

Heather said...

You sure are busy!! Great your fitting in the exercise I have been making sure I workout also. I have been volunteering to help set up the school library which has been nice getting to know some other Moms ~Have a wonderful rest of the week ~Love Heather

Tara said...

Thanks for the motivation on planning and making healthy food for our families! Have a great Thursday Jill, tara

Mark Himes said...

Jill, I'm getting fatter and fatter and can't stop eating. Seriously, I feel as if I'm about to embark on a major diet. I could stand to lose a good 25 lbs. I just have to get my mind in the right place. That is really all it takes and I know it.
And although you are happy, I would be so mad if Fred came home with crabs. Wink!
m.

Jenny said...

Glad things are going ok for you guys. Sending good thoughts to your hubby, that must be really hard.

I love spinning and believe it or not, your booty will get used to it and not be so sore. :) Keep up the good work.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Was wondering about you. Had not seen a post. I do understand. Glad to hear all is ok. You are such a busy gal & so creative with all you do with the girls. How lucky they are. Open house is at school tonight. I have been busy with creations for the fall festival at the shop & canning lately. The YMCA sounds fun. The nearest one to me is to far to travel daily. A really nice town called Waynesboro. Keep on it girl & wishing you much success in your education. Blessings!
Lara

McVal said...

Wow! You're a busy woman! That's great that you and Hayley are doing the classes together, but my bottom hurts just thinking about it...

Julie said...

I love all that you do with the girls. It had to be hard for Jerry, I can't imagine. I am still so sorry for your loss.
Me canning and saving money, no school this year for home or daycare. Busy as a bee getting ready for winter.
Take care and have a blessed afternoon.