Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Book Review: Veiled Rose


I received this book from Bethany House Publishers to review for free.  While I greatly appreciate the opportunity to do so, I must say as an avid reader I was disappointed in this book and found it hard to want to finish it. It's main characters are Rose Red and Leo (Lionheart) and it is a fantasy type tale, but I felt it didn't flow smoothly and at times was hard to follow. I found myself really pushing to try to finish it. It may be because I'm not much for fantasy style stories, but I found the flow of the story to be lacking. The ending also was not what I was expecting, so unfortunately I could not recommend it to others. It just seemed to jump all over the place and wasn't very entertaining or enjoyable to me personally.
Rose Red and Leo meet as children and he finds her while hunting the "monster" one summer. Most of the story focuses on this "monster" and how others relate to it. It jumps from reality to fantasy and includes good and evil representing itself in different forms and a love that can never really be, although I just couldn't feel the connection and see it as a good love story. If you enjoy fantasy style books then you may want to try it, but in my opinion it is not worth the time. :-(

Blessings,
Jill

1 comment:

Patti said...

I appreciate your honest opinion. I would probably never be looking at this book anyhow, as I'm not a fan of fantasy. But based on your review, I definitely won't.

I signed up to do book reviews for Multnomah's Blogging for Books program. Most of the books are submitted in e-reader format, and I don't have an e-reader, nor do I want one. (MY daughter has one, and I can't stand it....I'm a paper books kind of gal.) Anyhow, most of the books in their program are electronic; only a few are "hard copies." Which means, I have almost zero choice of books to review. The one I was able to get, I have no desire to read. Just like "so many classic movies, so little time," same with "so many books, so little time." When I have so little time to read, I'd rather read a book I enjoy. I find it hard to even force myself to finish a book I'm not interested in. So, good for you for at least finishing.

Hope you're having a great week.

Love,
Patti