Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fall craft and pumpkin bars :-)

I'm enjoying the fact that I still get my afternoons with Kathleen due to 1/2 day Kindergarten so I still like planning lots of activities with her. Yesterday I had her decorate her own Fall tree. We started with some supplies...
This is a great project for children still developing or enhancing their fine motor skills. Kathleen just loves coloring, cutting, pasting and painting so I was sure to create the activity that included all of these. :-)

First coloring in the tree base....

Then cutting out the tree....

Pasting it on the background paper....

Next to decorate with the leaves of Fall!

I clipped the pieces of sponge in a clothespin to make it easier to hold and less messy :-)

While painting she quickly observed the yellow paint on a blue sponge makes green!

She loves painting so much she didn't want to stop, lol! But I think it's beautiful!!


Next she was super excited to help me make pumpkin bars, yummy!
Starting with the flour...


We always take time to stop and smell the ingredients and stimulate all our senses ;-) Here she was smelling the sweetness of the sugar :-)

Carefully pouring....

Beautiful blue eyes with sugar on her nose :-)

Mixing all the ingredients together!

Wait!! can't forget to stir in the chocolate chips!!

That's better Mom!

Mmmmmm  Enjoy!!

Pumpkin Harvest Bars

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1/2 cup solid-pack pumpkin
1 whole egg
1 egg white
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins  (we substituted with chocolate chips ;)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Spray 13x9 inch baking powder with nonstick cooking spray
2) In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, orange peel, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
3) In large bowl, combine sugar, apple sauce, pumpkin, whole egg, egg white and oil
4) Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture, stir until well blended. Stir in raisins (chocolate chips) Spread batter into prepared pan
5) Bake 25 to 30 mins. or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 mins. cut into bars.

What are you baking this week? ;-)

Blessings,
Jill

20 comments:

Patti said...

The bars sound great...and I just made some homemade applesauce today, using my homegrown apples. (Apples, cinnamon and water ONLY...no sugar.)

That up-close-and-personal photo is gorgeous!!! You know the one I'm talking about...big blue eyes and sugar on the nose. An award-winning photo, that's for sure.

You are a wonderful mom, Jill. You really enjoy your girls, and that comes through loud and clear in your posts.

Love,
Patti

Kris said...

I remember doing that craft when I was little! My little sous chef, Noah, helpe me make the bread today. It is an all time favorite recipe for English Muffin bread that is to die for!!!!
Makes the best toast too!

Sweet Tea said...

Clothes pins to hold the sponges! Now aren't you the smart one!! Brilliant!

Love pumpkin bread/bars/cake, but never had them with chocolate chips in them. Yummy!

A Primitive Homestead said...

It had been weeks since I baked anything but this week I decided it was time to bake a pumpkin roll. The pumpkin bars & pumpkin muffins in another post look just yummy. I do hope to try them soon. Thanks for sharing the recipes. You should name the cooking parts of your posts Kathleen & Mommies Cooking show. The next up & coming Martha Stewart shows will be replaced with kathleen. LOL! She is a doll. Blessings!
Lara

Julie Harward said...

LOL Very cute...my eyes get all glazed over when I smell sugar too! :D

Christy said...

Cute tree! I had a fun idea that i did with my girls last week. We went out and gathered twigs (to make the tree) colored leaves to glue on the tree & we glued acorns around the bottom. It turned out really neat!

Cindy said...

Oh I remember doing these in my classroom
So fun!
and i still have not baked anything with pumpkin...i need to get busy!
have a happy day jill

SonyaAnn said...

SUPER CUTE!!! She is going to have some wonderful memories and so are you. Thank you for sharing your precious life with me.

Rayanne said...

Oh I really like your new blog look!! Pretty!! Your post has put me in the Fall Mood...even though it's still very hot and dry here.
Good to hear from you, I've missed blogging!!

Jenny said...

That is a great tip, the clothespins, wow, never thought of that! Definitely going to try it. I am baking (I hope) PB&J bars. Those pumpkin ones look delish.

Nezzy said...

Oh honey, I can smell those spicy little pumpkin bars right now!!!

Now can I barrow that cute little chef??? She's such a doll!!!

God bless ya and have an incredible day sweetie!!! :o)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm sure Kathleen absolutely loves her special time with you. What a cute craft and those pumpkin bars look very yummy.

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Jill,
Oh I just love this post of love and togetherness with your little darling girl. Her tree is precious. What a little artist she is. Cute pic too with big blue eyes and a sugar nose. Perfect for framing.

The pumpkin bars looks so yummy good. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will have to try these for sure.


What a fun day you had with your daughter making special memories or M&M (memory makers) as I lie to say. You are an incredible mother and so very blessed.

Nice to see you and thank you for stopping by.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Tara said...

ohhhh... I want one! Those look Sooooo good!

McVal said...

Beautiful painting!
and can her eyes get any bluer?! wow.

Alea Milham said...

Looks like you had a fun day! I am enjoying baking with pumpkin too. If you have a chance, I would love for you to link this up to the Gallery of Favorites: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/gallery-of-favorites-107/

Wendi said...

Great idea to use a clothes pin to hold the sponge!

No baking going on here this week. The weather has been great and I have been out soaking up all the sun and warmth while I still can.

Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

She looks SOOOO happy doing her projects! Love that closeup of her in her baker's hat. She has beautiful eyes.

Camille said...

You are such a creative Mom Jill! Your girls are blessed. :)

Have a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Camille

Megan said...

Hi Jill, Thanks for the sweet comment over at my blog! I love this craft and your recipe looks great too! I am going to poke around and see what other great things you have here!