Sunday, October 23, 2011

Yummy crockpot meal and a pumpkin angel food cake! celebrating dad's birthday..

Finally getting a chance to blog and catch up with everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful week! :-)
We've had some really neat looking clouds over the last few days as the cold fronts have been moving in so I tried to capture it with my camera along with a few Fall shots in my front yard. I've always been fascinated with clouds :-)
Hard to see in this photo but the top half of the sky was so dark and sitting upon the sunny part of the sky...




It is on my list to get netting for the fish pond as the leaves are rapidly accumulating.....

It's always the best time for a yummy crock pot meal and I have another to share that I had when my parents were here. This is really flavorful and my mom took the recipe home with her :-)

The preparation....

Time to enjoy!!
This one is called chicken and veggies with a little added extras! We used some fresh bread to mop up the sauce....mmmmm my mouth is watering just thinking about it again! LOL

2-4 medium potatoes (depending on how many people you are feeding, this serves 6)
1 cup thickly sliced onion
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 medium carrot cut into 1 inch pieces (or prewashed and cut carrots sprinkled in)
1 medium sweet yellow pepper cut into one inch pieces
1 broiler or fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) cut up and skin removed ( I used a roaster chicken from the store and cut the meat off of 2)
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and yellow peeper in a 5 qt slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine the other ingredients and pour over top. Cover and cook on low 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. :-)

In preparation for my dad's birthday dinner I whipped up some brownies ....

They of course did not last long.....

But I also made a pumpkin angel food cake! So delicious!! My Mom and Dad loved it! So needless to say that didn't last long either. :-)

I was so happy with how it turned out after flipping it over.... but yes it did get some topping on it too!

If you're looking for a low fat, healthier way to enjoy pumpkin, this is it!!!

Pumpkin angel food cake with creamy ginger filling
(I found this recipe on the eat better america site) Lots of great recipes here!

1 box white angel food cake mix
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup cold water

Filling:
1 8 oz container frozen fat free whipped topping (thawed)
1 teaspoon ground ginger

1. Move oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat all cake ingredients with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, beat on medium for 1 minute, pour into ungreased 10 inch angel food tube cake pan.

2. Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until crust is dark golden brown and cracks are dry. immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or glass bottle ( I simply flipped mine onto a plate) Let cool for 2 hours loosen cake from sides of a pan turn upside down onto a serving plate.

3. In a medium bowl mix topping with ginger. Cut cake horizontally in half to make 2 even parts. Spread half the mixture on this layer then replace top half of cake. Spread remaining over top of cake.
Refrigerate! Enjoy!

Then serve it up for a birthday party ;-)


The girls love their Pop pop so much!!!

We took so many pictures we barely had any candles left to sing with! LOL


Dad enjoyed his day with the girls and us and opening some gifts. :-)

Happy Birthday Dad! So happy you were able to come up and share it with us!! We love you!!

The girls were so excited to have Neve, their cousin visit and they talked Aunt Kim into spending the night so they could have a sleepover!!
Their first victim I mean playmate was Owen....

He got the royal treatment being dressed up and transported in the baby carriage! LOL


It wasn't long after that, that I realized our basement was trashed yet again....


This is what having fun is all about right??

Look carefully....there are girls hiding in there!!

And boy were they giggly, happy, and having a blast!!!

Love you girls soooo much!!


The next morning they were up early and had made attempts to cook breakfast.... see the CLUE on my chair? Yes, that's a greasy hand print and yes....it will remain on my chair :-)

My adorable husband decided to borrow Hayley apron and cook up a big breakfast for all of us! Sunday is a day he takes over cooking :-)



Doesn't he look so cute in that apron ;-) LOL

The girls quite enjoyed their breakfast...



Jerry even shared some with Patches...

Nope, no spoiled dogs here I promise....lol NOT!!!


And to leave you with a smile today.... Kathleen snuck into the kitchen and decided to make her "lunch"

No carb/sugar overload there! LOL I was sure to intervene and get her a healthier lunch :-)

A little inspiration for those who could use some today, whatever struggles you may be facing....

"If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell"

-Lance Armstrong

Thanks for stopping by to visit! :-)

Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Looks like FUN at your house.
Kids + Good Time = Messy Room!
You're a great Mom, Jill, and your husband
looks like a good Sunday morning Chef!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Looks like things have been busy around there as usual :) Wow, that pumpkin angel food cake sounds absolutely delicious! Now MY mouth is watering :)

Tara said...

Hi Jill,

I'm making that crockpot recipe for sure this week! Sounds sooooo good! I love your family picture in front of the water (on your header) beautiful! btw: are you still doing Chalene extreme?

Wendi said...

A man that cooks is a good thing! I love it when Chuck decides to make breakfast.

It looks like a fun, exciting weekend!

Julie said...

That pumpkin angel food cake sounds great. I think the guys would love that. I love all your pictures. I love that your husband cooks. Thanks for sharing.
Take care and have a blessed week.

Heather said...

Looks like you are well into your fall there! That pumpkin angel food looks delicious I have never heard of that!! And it looks like the girls had a blast ~Happy Birthday to your Dad ~Have a great week Love Heather

Mark said...

Happy Birthday to your Daddy! I can't wait till I turn 50. ha!
Hayley's hair is growing back so quickly. She looks good!
And your destroyed basement looks just like my destroyed basement. Why is that?
m.

Nicolle said...

Hi Jill, thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for your sweet comment. Love your blog. Your kitchen is so pretty and I'm going to try that pumpkin angel food cake. That would be a hit in our house! Love the quote you put at the end of your post.

Have a wonderful week.
:)

SonyaAnn said...

I would love to come to your house for dinner! I'm cutting and pasting that crock pot meal to try. yum!!!!!

Kerin said...

Wonderful family times!
Love the good food you've been making for your loved ones too!
Gotta try that pumpkin angel food cake. Looks delicious :)

Camille said...

LOTS of FUN times!! What a great place to play...can we come over?? ;-)

Your family must be so thankful for all the YUMMY food you prepare for them Jill. How fun that you were able to do a birthday dinner for your Dad...he looks like he enjoyed it very much.

I have a crock pot dinner going right now too....aren't they just the BEST??? :)

Blessings to you!
Camille

Kris said...

Oh my goodness, what a fun post! The food all looked so good! That cake...oh my!! Your girls remind me of when mine were young. I had many a hand print, or some other such thing from their antics!!! It just adds character!!!
Love the pics of hubby in apron cooking!!! That's a good man!!!
Loved the last pic....heart in bread, so cute!!!
Kris

Kerri said...

Oh, both those recipes sound so good! I love using the crockpot...especially this time of year!
Happy Birthday to your dad...he looks like a happy man!

McVal said...

Wow! You had a fun weekend! That Pumpkin angel food cake looks wonderful. and possibly a good idea for the upcoming holidays... hnmmmm..
Happy birthday to Pop pop!

Nezzy said...

Dang, I missed the party and I wanted a big old piece of that pumpkin angel food cake. It looks absolutely divine sweetie!!!

Happy belated birthday to your very handsome daddy!!!

God bless ya and have a terrific Tuesday!!!

BTW: if ya have a brownie left...could ya toss me one??? :o)