Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A little surprise from our girls, a recipe and more!

A slight break from my Disney posts as I have a few things to share :-) This past weekend the girls surprised us by turning our dining room into a restaurant and making us dinner! What a sweet treat!
Here is the menu they made:
The appetizer was rice cakes with peanut butter...


Hayley does real well with the George Foreman grill so she made us the best turkey burgers!


Kathleen helped mix the meat and make it into burgers. (Hayley took these photos)



Yummy salad with tomatoes!


Kathleen found the cans of coke we have for company in the garage and brought one in for me. I didn't have the heart to tell her I couldn't drink it....



She even served me! :-)



She was great at taking orders too! Hayley did the cooking and prep during this time :-)



She was sure to start Daddy's meal with some coffee!



We also received another surprise..... A BILL!! LOL Seems they thought of everything.....



Driving the other evening the moon looked so beautiful I had to grab a quick picture....



Kathleen has been enjoying her new claw machine from her Godmother Teresa!



Funny though....she's not eating the candy, she just keeps putting it back in to pick up! ;-)

She also is enjoying her new sparkly boots! Children's Place store near us is going out of business and we got the boots for $4.99!! Love a great deal....they even light up!



I think Owen likes them too!



We also were busy taking down and organizing Christmas decor! As some of you saw I have tons of Christmas bins....



Hayley and Patches were helping, lol....

I got them all nice, neat and organized!! Have a ton for sale at our yard sale this summer and I am happy to finally get this done. We have lived in 7 homes and just kept changing and packing away decor. This year I was determined to get it all straight and it feels great! I emptied about 7 totes and will be using them for organizing posts coming up soon!

Used my handy labeler for the totes that weren't see through....


I also ordered new towels and washcloths from Kohl's. Reorganizing my linen closets are on my list for the new year as well. Out with the old...in with the new! ;-) More on that to come!


Now for a yummy recipe! Baked ziti with turkey sausage!

Boil the wheat noodles while prepping the rest of the dish....



Ingredient list:

3/4 pounds uncooked turkey sausage (spicy or mild depending on your taste) Casings removed!
1 medium uncooked onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper
28 oz can diced tomatoes
10 oz frozen peas thawed
2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp table salt or to your taste
1/2 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta (cook by boiling)
6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Crumble sausage into large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often
Drain any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper cook and keep stirring until softened
Stir in tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 5 mins. stirring often.



Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with remaining cheese.

Bake until cheese has melted and casserole is bubbling. About 20 mins or more.....Enjoy!


Healthy and yummy! :-)

Ending with some sad news again.... my parent's dog Smokey who has been in our lives for 17 years went to heaven last night. This has been a rough couple months since November. First our beloved Sally (on right in picture) her and Smokey were best friends, My sisters cat Maggie who was 22 years old, our cat Princess who was 13 years old, and now our much loved Smokey. It's a lot for the girls to absorb, let alone us as adults but we're getting by the best we can. Heaven has some amazing angels right now....My heart goes out to my parents as Smokey and their dog Sarah are their "kids" and Smokey will be greatly missed. So sorry Mom and Dad....we know how much this hurts.... hugs to you both! (I know you're reading...)


Thanks for stopping by! Tomorrow more Disney World pictures and we will be in the Animal Kingdom!!

Blessings,
Jill

12 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Too bad about the dog, that is always sad. The recipe looks wonderful! The girls as usual are a delight..$4.50..cash only so cute! You guys stay happy and well. :D

Chelle said...

that was so sweet of them. That was a special treat. My neighbor gave me one of those grills. I will have to make turkey burgers too. Sounds yummy!

Wendi said...

Love that they gave you a bill for dinner! :) Seriously, that was a really sweet thing to do.

Sheila said...

Gosh, y'all sure have had a lot to deal with lately. Hoping and praying 2012 becomes much brighter. Love all the girls did for y'all. The bill looks like something my girls would have done too!! Kathleen's boots are great!!! Yummy sounding recipe. Take care.
I can't comment on some blogs either--don't know what's going on with that. I did get your emails. Take care.

Genn said...

Hi Jill,
Oh how sweet of your girls to cook dinner for you.
I bet they were so proud of themselves!

Good for you with the zumba!! I wish I were brave enough to just do that. I'm a horrible horrible dancer! No ryhthm whatsoever. lol

Julie said...

I remember when Mike did that for us for breakfast in bed. It was so sweet of the girls. You are really getting organized, YEAH!!
Sorry for your pets too. Sorry for your parents. They are just children with an extra set of legs and hearts bigger then we can imagine.
Take care Jill. Blessings to you and yours!!

Miranda said...

What a sweet thing for your girls to do for you! I especially love the bill-lol.

Have a great time in Disney World!

Sell WoW Accounts said...

the girls are lovely! they're having cooking=)

so sorry about your dog=/

Nicolle said...

That moon is gorgeous! I love that your girls cooked for you guys....and left you a bill. How funny.

So sorry about the loss of Smokey. You all have definitely had some hard losses lately with your beloved pets. Hugs to you all, and to your mom and dad!

Kerri said...

What a sweet thing for your girls to do! Love that they even gave you a bill...they are smart too!

Jenny said...

How sweet! My kids have done the same thing it is such a kind gesture. I love your labeled tubs!!!! I am anxious to hear about the reorganizing of your closet. The recipe sounds yummy.

Cherie said...

Oh my goodness - What sweet girls and creative too! I love the menu and little dinner they set up for you. And the bill just makes me giggle :-D
I hope you tipped well!