Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap day activities :-)

Leap year, also known as intercalary day was created by Julius Caesar in 45 BC! It occurs just about every four years. (certain years it does not). Since the earth completes it's orbit around the sun in 365 1/4 days, leap year is a way to sync the calendar year with the solar year.

I wanted to create a fun afternoon for Kathleen to learn about why this happens, but to make it a fun frog day too to associate with leaping of course! She was so excited to get started, she loves any kinds of crafts! She was also happy to see I had all our favorite Froggy books by Jack London out and ready to read! If you haven't read these books yet, I highly suggest them...so much fun to read with the children.


The first project I had ready for her was making a frog puppet.


She told me "this was a gooder than good day!" LOL



She also had a number to number sheet to complete, which she later colored.


The same for this frog page which she matched the numbers with the colors....


The next activity was I cut out frogs, coloring one and I hid them around the house. After she found them she colored them and glued them to her Lilly pad. She enjoyed doing the hiding game several times first :-)


A few little hiding places.... one in a favorite book...


Another in one of my favorite pictures of the three of us from when they were younger and we went to the zoo. :-)


Yes we were all hot and sweaty, but had so much fun that day :-)
After finding them all (several times) she got down to coloring and pasting!


Of course I had to have a little treat for her at lunch time too.


Supposed to be a frog's face with it's tongue sticking out, lol (use your imagination :-), lol)

What matters is she enjoyed it! :-)


Tomorrow we will be discussing if March will be coming in like a lion or a lamb! ;-)
And of course Friday is more fun with Dr. Seuss's birthday!! Busy, busy week :-)

Happy Leap day!

Blessings,
Jill

17 comments:

McVal said...

FUN! And I love that you had frog cakes too! What a beautiful pic of you guys at the zoo.

Patti said...

I love that you always do such fun things with your girls!! You are providing them with some awesome memories!!

Very cute "old" photo of you and the girls!!

As always, Kathleen is SO photogenic.

Love,
Patti

Annie said...

Shane has friends who are 56, but because they were born on Leap Day, so today is just their 14th actual birthday. But because they are twins, they take turns each year, so they are only 7 today.

Karen said...

What great activities! And, I love that frog cake!

Mrs. Nerdy said...

How fun! Your activities are fabulous!! We love the Froggy books here too :)

Rayanne said...

I've missed seeing those sweet little faces! Happy leap day :)!

Sweet Tea said...

Jill,
Are we gonna lose all our FOLLOWERS? I don't know what you're talking about. Can you fill me in, please?!
bunkodeb@aol.com

WendyP said...

AWESOME day!! I soooo wish I had you around for inspiration when my kid's were little! :-)

Kris said...

Are you a former teacher? You sure should be one!!!
Love the frog cake!!! Cute post!

KERRY said...

I love how you do so many fun things with your daughters, they must have so many great memories!!

Mark said...

Seriously, where do you get the imagination for all of these projects? Very nice!
Also, I think March has come in like a lamb. "I almost wrote (lamp)" ha!
m.

Beloved's Bride said...

Extremely cute. I am looking forward to ur other post on the lion/lamb and Dr.Suess.

Julie said...

When I was little we use to play hide the thimble, mama had lots of them and she'd hide them a couple times a week and whoever had the most on Friday would get to pick supper. Now here I don't have thimbles but the kids and I play it by that name but usually hide a few toys. I never ever hide things in the same spot (and after 12 years of doing this I am really having to be creative on the hiding), anyways I love all that you do with your girls. Thanks for always sharing.
Take care Jill and have a blessed and awesome afternoon!!

Tara said...

How DO you do it?! Amazing... first grade teacher for sure!!!

Camille said...

You are one creative Mom Jill!! Your girls are going to have such fabulous memories of being under your care! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Alea Milham said...

What a wonderful, fun Leap Day!

jhopes70 said...

superb blog

pearson airport limos