Friday, March 2, 2012

Celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday with fun activities! :-)

I love Dr. Seuss and so do my girls! He created books that made children of all ages get excited about reading and we just had to do some special things to celebrate!
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You!"
Dr. Seuss

We made a fun craft of thing 1 and thing 2!

First we traced her footprints, then she cut them out and this became the bodies.
Then she glued on the bodies, then the circles of 1 and 2 and their heads.
Next she dipped her hands in blue paint to make their wild hair, then decorated their features with markers.
(To lighten the blue use a little white paint, we were out so their hair was bluer than blue!, lol) 




"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!"  Dr. Seuss  (One of my favorites!)

We also created a special story book compliments of Kathleen's imagination! To become a great storyteller like Dr. Seuss!


"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!"
Dr. Seuss



"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go!"
Dr. Seuss

Then we got into the really cool stuff and made oobleck!! If you have children or grandchildren this is a must do! They will play in it forever!! :-) So much fun!

Oobleck Recipe:
1 cup water
1 1/2 - 2 cups cornstarch
A few drops of food coloring

Put water in a bowl first, then cornstarch, start stirring with a spoon first. Then use hands to mix, the goal is to have the consistency be liquid yet solid :-) Add food coloring and mix well!
Have lots of fun and wash up when done!

Today we left the food coloring out of ours because Kathleen has dance class and a busy weekend ahead and it does stain. Without the color it is a quick and easy cleanup! :-) O.k. I admit I played in it too! LOL




Love her expression here!



It really does have the coolest consistency! Be sure to read the Oobleck book as well!



When the drops hit the table, magic was happening ....;-)

When Hayley got home she had to try it too!



Of course we had to read some of our favorite Dr. Seuss books as well!


These are just a couple of the many wonderful stories he created :-)

Thank you Dr. Seuss you will forever live on in the hearts of children and adults everywhere!





"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting...so...get on your way!"
Dr. Seuss

Hope you all have a magical day!! We're surprising the girls this weekend and going to see The Lorax!
I'll let you know how it is :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Enjoy playing with the oobleck, if you do give it a try tell me what you think of it, ;-)

Blessings,
Jill

9 comments:

Rayanne said...

Children's art is the best of ART!!
How fun!!

Mark said...

I love that my "Mountain is waiting". That's too cool!
Great project with the girls. You're a very patient woman!
I call my twins Thing 1 and Thing 2. I call my oldest other names but I don't think I should put them in writing.
Have a great weekend!
m.

A Primitive Homestead said...

When my children were younger I joined a book club. Each month we received one of the books in the set. Some books have come & gone but these I kept. I used them the year I homeschooled. The movie sounds fun. Blessings!
Lara

Patti said...

I think you know my daughter works at our local library. Well, they were having a Dr. Seuss birthday party today. She and one of her co-workers dressed up as Thing 1 and Thing 2. (Someone else was the cat in the hat.)

Can't wait for her to come home and share about the day's excitement.

Have a great weekend.

Love,
Patti

SonyaAnn said...

Your family is just the cutest!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisa B. said...

I love Dr Seuss! Looks like the girls had fun.

Simone said...

Dr. Seuss is my all time favorite children's author. He had magical words that I never grew tired of reading aloud to my girls. I have collected and kept their books for one day when I have grandkids. I want to hear about the movie.

Kris said...

Love those pictures!!!!!

Lynn said...

I just loved this post how wonderful of yall to celebrate Dr Seuss, he was a handsome fella. Your girls sure are growing up, I hope all is well :o)