Monday, March 5, 2012

Coat closet organization and my handy husband :-)

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! We took the girl's to the Saturday matinee to see The Lorax. Hayley saw a friend from school so she went off to sit with her and Kathleen, Jerry and I hung out with a big bucket of popcorn and a huge water bottle that came with complimentary cups! LOL. It was a really cute movie, slightly different from the book, but same general idea. It was definitely kid friendly and enjoyable. The girls really liked it.

We were also busy running lots of errands and working on reorganization around the house. During last week Jerry took some time in the evening and built me a really nice shoe rack for one of our hall closets. I've been needing one for quite awhile, but it seems like we're never home long enough to get it done. Since last week was a break from the YMCA he built it after work.


We have 2 coat closets, one in the main foyer for when we have company, we hang the coats there and this one leading out to our garage that all four of us use daily. As you can see it needed some attention during this busy cold weather season!


Clutter equals chaos to me and I just had to get a better system in place so the after now looks like this!



Snow suit hangs a little low but after winter they get packed away for the following year. :-)


Aaahhhh already feeling better!



Jerry and I share the basket for hats, gloves and scarves and I have a labelled container for each of the girls to keep their items in. Makes life so much easier when everything has a place! ;-)

I did come across these shoes of Kathleen's. It was time to say good-bye to them as they were badly worn, but certainly well-loved. *sigh* Is it just a Mom thing to be sentimental about size 12 little Princess shoes??


But don't despair....we have a pair of Ruby Red sparkle shoes too. :-)

Just had to share these fresh strawberries we enjoyed for a snack that we found at a local market. Can't wait till we can go and pick our own in nicer weather!


This letter from Kathleen put a smile on my face too.....

It says I want toy. I want t.v. I want car! LOL Ummm yeah not happening ! ;-) But anything to encourage early reading and writing is o.k. by me.

We love our Keurig, but I've been wanting to find a nice system for storing all the K-cups! So I was so pleased when I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond this weekend and found this storage solution. It sits under the coffee pot and takes very little room. Holds 36 cups at a time, which I use for tea, the girls like hot cocoa and Jerry out drinks us all with his coffees. :-)



My basil plant is really growing well and is so fragrant adding a delicious taste to many of our meals!


The reason I originally went to Bed, Bath and Beyond was for glass storage containers with BPA free lids for my freezer in different sizes which I found. I will be doing an upcoming post on freezer meals and planning menus.  :-)


This weekend we got busy reorganizing the closet under our staircase. Another area I've been wanting shelves for and my awesome husband built them Sunday! Here is the before of the area.


Ha! After I cleared out all the stuff that was in there. Mostly appliances and other odds and ends. :-)


Kathleen just loves helping Daddy!


This shelf they built for Hayley to go under her jewelry desk to store containers. She was quite excited as she spent most of the day reorganizing her work station. First chance she's gotten since it flooded and we had new carpet installed.


I am so pleased with how the shelves in my closet turned out! So excited to get everything organized!


I've got the sweetest husband ever! He's so handy with everything and he enjoys doing it as well. He even said it felt good to have a project again. :-) Better be careful because I have a whole page full of projects! LOL
I'll post after photos as soon as I'm done rearranging! :-)

Jerry didn't want to leave Kathleen out after all her hard work helping him, so he built her a 3 tier bunk bed for her American Girl dolls. It fits 6 dolls and she is just delighted!

She was so excited to try it out she didn't even take her coat and hat off first! ;-)

Next I will be organizing their bathroom closet! They are only 6 and 10 and wait till you see all the beauty items they have already! LOL :-)

Today has been a tough one remembering my brother in law Patrick. He would have celebrated his 40th birthday today. R.I.P. always Patrick....gone too soon but never forgotten.


Hope you have a great day!! Be sure to count your blessings.

Many blessings,
Jill

18 comments:

WendyP said...

ok, I am soooo going to share this with my hubby! I have been trying to figure something out for our storage area under the stairs and couldn't come up with anything but utter chaos & clutter...I love what you all did so I am going to get the hubby to get some shelves!!!

kristi said...

Great job. Sorry about your b.i.l.

Cindy said...

Oh how I love a good organization post!! Perfect time of year for it too!:) Everythihng looks amazing. Handy hubbies are the best!
have a happy day jill

Cindy said...

Oh how I love a good organization post!! Perfect time of year for it too!:) Everythihng looks amazing. Handy hubbies are the best!
have a happy day jill

Kerri said...

You guys have been busy! I just wanted to say that your husband always looks so happy! That's such a good thing! I have a happy husband too...sure makes life more enjoyable! :)

Wendi said...

A handy husband and organization... two things I love!

SonyaAnn said...

I'm so sorry about your BIL. Very sad.
Your hubs is an amazing man and sooooo handy!

Genn said...

Your organized coat closet looks great!

I want to take my girls to see The Lorax. Glad to hear it was cute.

Those strawberries look amazing! I just told my husband that I can't wait to go picking them again too.

I'm sure it is always a hard day remembering a loved one's passing. Hope you all are ok today.

xo

Karina said...

Oh my goodness. Look at all those great new organizers you have. It feels so good to ave an organized place to put everything. I think there are a few of us wishing we could hire your hubby. We are in the process of redoing our closet under the stairs as well ... turning it into secret room fir Litle K. Maybe I'll add a few shelves inspired by yours :)

Megan said...

Hi Jill,
I think my label maker has changed my life! I see you have one too! :)

No better feeling than getting things organized! Way to go!

Nicolle said...

Thinking of your entire family during this difficult time and remembrance of your brother in law. xo.

Your husband is handy. Ok, I have to tell you, every time I see him, he reminds me of one of the captains on the show Deadliest Catch. Spitting imagine of him in some pictures!

Love that handy storage for your K cups. I'm still debating, but would love a machine for my one cup of coffee I always need in the afternoons.

Have a good day.

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

So totally impressed, and slightly jealous ;-) of your organizational accomplishment!! Do you want to come hang out at my house!!!

McVal said...

Ohmy goodness! Your hubs is the handiest EVAH! LOVE those shelves...

Samantha Kelley said...

You have been busy! Everything looks great!

Heather said...

Wow the closets turned out great you got so much done. It really does feel good when you are organized. Praying for your family as you remember your brother in law. ~Love Heather

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

All these missed milestones bring a pain of their own, don't they? I'm so sorry.

I love your closet organization! It looks so good. Isn't it wonderful having such a handy hubby?

Annie said...

I really like the shoe rack in the coat closet, and that you have a coat closet in a place that makes sense. Ours is in the hallway, completely across the carpeted living room from the front door entry way. No way to get there without either taking off shoes or tracking across the carpet.

Tara said...

Those strawberries look AMAZING! and your closet organizers are the best ever! I've been oranizing little by little here too. Just one small part of the house each weekend. No new shelves here though... your husband sure is handy! Love the doll bunk beds too! Have a happy day, tara