Monday, March 26, 2012

Cupcake recipe for Easter

I had a wonderful weekend with great friends! Our dear neighbors invited us over on Saturday for dinner and they have 2 boys the same ages as our 2 girls. They have grown up together and we all are quite close. We are so blessed to have them as our neighbors! The dinner was just wonderful and we listened to a great variety of music while Jerry and Spence enjoyed a few beers and Julia and I enjoyed some wine. Another thing you may not know about me is I'm allergic to the sulfates in wines so there are only a few I can drink that don't have them. I also rarely have a drink so it was nice to be able to enjoy a couple glasses and just unwind....then walk safely to our house next door. LOL

The kids stayed busy playing X-Box and watching some movies. They have always gotten along quite well. :-)


On Sunday we entertained friends of ours at our home. Hayley and her friend Heather met in school and her friend Heather has a sister that is Kathleen's age so all works out well when they get together.
:-)
Kathleen picked me some flowers from our yard...


They smell so good!


The table was set...


Hayley made name cards for everyone and I made up little favors for them to take home :-)


We had:
 baked chicken
steamed broccoli and cauliflower
corn
masked potatoes
rolls

and for dessert :
brownies (by popular kid request, lol)
and these yummy springtime poke cupcakes, perfect for Easter!

Ingredients:
1 pkg. white cake mix
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg 3 oz. strawberry jello
1 tub 8 oz. Cool Whip
Red or yellow food coloring
(Decorations suggestions: sprinkles, coconut, chocolate candies, marshmallow peeps, jelly beans, etc)
I chose marshmallow peeps (my weakness this time of year) :-)

Prepare batter as directed on box
Pour in cupcake liners
Bake
Then cool in pan for 10 mins and pierce tops with a fork
Stir boiling water into gelatin mix until dissolved then spoon over cupcakes
Refrigerate at least 30 mins.
Remove from pan
Tint Cool Whip with food coloring and spread over cupcakes.
Decorate as desired
Enjoy!! :-)

Be sure to keep stored in refrigerator!




My husband did the dishes from the meal since he usually cooks on Sundays and seeing them sitting there in the dryer board is a great reminder of a good meal with friends :-)


Hayley is wrapping up her Science project to turn in this week....


I am so proud of her and all the research she has done on McDonald's and other fast food restaurants. She now truly understands why I won't have us eat there. Real food is so much better for our bodies then processed, chemically filled whatever you want to call "it". To me that's not healthy food for our bodies. Just look up the ingredients and the definitions and I think you may be quite surprised. These same chemicals used in fertilizer, cement and more have portions in preserving these "foods"!!??

Well, off to work on some college papers and tackle my to do lists :-)....I found this photo and had to share, so sweet and just too cute!


I foresee my future with Jerry the same way....although we already have a few more dogs in the picture, lol. There is comfort is a good, strong love.

Have a wonderful day!!

Blessings,
Jill


8 comments:

Mark said...

So, did you and your neighbors already set a date for the double wedding? Seriously, start planning now before all the kids graduate and try to leave for college.
So, for a gal who doesn't drink, 2 glasses, huh? Were you feeling it? I bet you were!
Happy Monday!
m.

Annie said...

Have you ever read "The Bridge Across Forever", or any other of Richard Bach's books? They are a little "new age-y", but overall very inspiring. "Illusions" is a very quick read, but also very thought-provoking.

McVal said...

Those cupcakes look adorable! What a great idea.
And I love that marriage line!

Kris said...

Great looking cupcakes! And such a sweet post!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, What a beautiful post of friendship and family. The recipe sounds great. Love the pretty flowers and your tablesetting so pretty. Great job on your daughters research. Such an important topic to learn about and put into practice.
Love the last pic and the words.
I always find inspiration here my friend. Thanks again for the blog award.
Hugs and blessings, Celestina Marie

Megan said...

I love Peeps! What a great idea! Glad you had such a great time with friends!

Heather said...

I'm happy that you had a great time with your neighbors. My dad is allergic to sulfites in alcohol too. Yikes! That's so cool that she is researching McDonald's and all the nastiness that it is! I wish more kids cared.

Heather said...

sounds like a wonderful weekend!! and the cupcakes look so yummy!! and ugh I think I would rather not know what is in McDonalds we have been trying to eat home more and especially now that I have all the kids eating gluten free. ~Pretty Flowers it looks like spring has sprung for you ~Have a great week Love Heather