Monday, April 30, 2012

A little catching up for Spring

Warm weather has been making it's appearance on and off the last few weeks so as you know the to do lists become larger as outside work is added to our lists. :-) Plus the girl's activities are in full swing and full speed ahead!

                                   We must find the beauty in all things even if they are a weed :-)
  These weeds are frequently lovingly picked and sitting in vases in my kitchen from Kathleen and Hayley      always did so as well. Gotta love the bright yellow dandelions! LOL
Our blueberry bush we planted last year is off to a good start! We are hoping for quite a few more blueberries this year.

Last week Hayley had her chorus, vocal ensemble and band recital for her school along with her art show.
 Very busy last week, then this Thursday she has her band concert, a big one with all the other schools.
She also won a coloring contest at the YMCA and received this shirt and lanyard and $25.00 towards a class or other items at the YMCA. :-)

The YMCA really does have great affordable programs for families. This Saturday we went to a healthy kids day, they had prizes, scavenger hunts, games, giveaways and more. The girl's had a great time and each received a shirt. It's also a wonderful way to be involved in the community!

Today Kathleen baked with me and I was teaching her more about measurements and cooking.
We also started her little seed project we do every year. Hayley will start hers when she gets home.
These seed kits are always fun for the little ones to explore with. :-) She is always amazed at how the soil "grows" when she adds the right measurement of water.
Sunflower seeds already to go! She planted 5 in her little yellow pot.
 Watering.....
Now the wait begins! She also started her journal to record her findings. :-) It was so cute because about an hour later she ran up to the window sill will her stool and was looking to see if it started to grow yet. :-)

I was also able to go into her school this morning as a secret reader! She was so over the top excited when I walked in the door with the biggest smile ever! I can not even tell you how much that made my day!
I read :
What Makes a Rainbow by Betty Ann Schwartz
I'm Gonna like Me by Jamie Lee Curtis
The Knot Fairy by Bobbie Hinman (great book about how the knot fairy visits and ties knots in little boys and girls hair while they sleep)
The Napping house by Audrey Wood (One of our all time favorites!, the kids just loved this one and laughed and laughed)


We did some clothes shopping for the girls this weekend and Jerry and I got a few things too. Kohl's was having 20 % off and $10.00 Kohl's cash back for every $50.00 spent so we had some money saved to prepare them for summer and getting new shoes. They have outgrown most everything from last year!
I was super excited when Jerry told me to get this dutch oven while it was on sale! I have been wanting one forever! It' s cast iron and super heavy! LOL But it should last a long time. :-) Now to try to lift it on and off the stove! ;-)

Yup .... I'm seriously excited about a pot! LOL. I can't wait to make good, yummy meals in here and then I'll share the recipes with you all. ;-)

Our patio area is just about done, but I'm not posting pictures until it's how I want it, lol. It's a work in progress.

Hoping to get around to visiting your blogs tonight, I've been behind and I am anxious to catch up and see what you have all been up to! Heading out to the YMCA again tonight after I cook up a meal for the girls. Since Kathleen and I were so busy inside and outside this afternoon looks like I will be doing schoolwork late again. :-)

                                                      Have a great week!!!!!!

                                                               Blessings,
                                                                  Jill

20 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Congratulations to Haylee! How fun to be the WINNER!! She is a busy girl with all her activities...I can't laugh to yard at Kathleen for checking on her seeds - I'm almost the same way when I plant something. LOL...Lots of yard work in my world right now too - very labor intense, but such a sense of accomplishment as I check things off my list.

McVal said...

LOVE those end of the year concerts! It's amazing how different they sound from the beginning of the year.
And gorgeous plants!

Eileen said...

Looks like your home is extremely active as always. Love the girls pictures and what they are doing.
love mom

Wendi said...

This seems to be a busy time of the year. I am looking at the May calendar and it is packed!

I will have to find The Knot Fairy book. We have that problem often. :)

I so get the excitement over a pot. It doesn't take much to make me happy.

Enjoy your evening!

KERRY said...

Beautiful flowers Jill!! Happy Spring to you :)
Looks like you guys have been doing lots of fun activities together.
I can't wait to see your finished patio!
And what a great find with the pot, enjoy!

Annie said...

Love the garden pictures. Your columbine is beautiful. Ours is a muted cinnamon color. It's pretty, but not as pretty as yours!

Lisa B. said...

Such gorgeous flowers!

I've also been wanting one of those pots. I would be excited too!

Mark said...

I can't believe how grown-up Hayley looks in the photo from the chorus. When did THAT happen?
m.

Kerri said...

Yay Hayley for winning the coloring contest! I wish we had a YMCA in our area. :(
Love your new green dutch oven...I have been wanting one too!
And we just planted strawberry seeds in a little pot this morning. I'd like to try some other things too with my son.

Jenny said...

That dutch oven looks so awesome. I have been wanting one for a while too. Maybe for Christmas? I think that's a good time to make some good old fashioned comfort foods! The girls look lovely as always. :)

Kris said...

Hi Jill,
Lots going on with you and your family! Congrats to Hayley for her winning the coloring contest. And hooray for you in teaching the kids in such a fun way. It is amazing how much we can "teach" with just the everyday ordinary things we do. I LOVE your new dutch oven. I have a green one too that I adore. It is by LODGE, and we bought it up in the mountains. I also have several Le Creuset Dutch ovens that I adore. They will last you a life time. Be sure to season it!!!!
Hugs,
Kris

The Momma said...

Y'all have been up to some FUN!

That dutch oven looks so nice, I've been needing a new one for a while now too! Love it!

Heather said...

Ha I would be excited by that pot Ha I am excited for you hehehe I want one so bad lol!! Everything is blooming there....and I hear ya my kids are growing like weeds Noah just hit 5 feet 9 inches WOW he is way taller than me now ....~Have a great week with those sweet girls of yours ~you have a beautiful family Love Heather

Chelle said...

Pretty flowers. I have one of those dancing flowers too. I think they are so cute.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, what lovely and busy days you all are enjoying. Congrats to Hayley in all her accomplishments. Love the pics of her and the smiles. Kathleen looks like she was having lots of fun baking and planting too. It will be special to watch the growing process. How wonderful you came to school to read and it was a surprise.
Your flowers are beautiful. Love the dutch oven in green. I can see some yummy meals coming from that beauty.
Sure enjoyed the adventures from your family. Looking forward to seeing your new deck.

Blessings always, Celestina Marie

Nicolle said...

The flowers are all so pretty! I love all of the colors. I have a blue pot like your green one. I think some of the enamel is chipping away though. :( I do love to cook in it!

Congrats to Hayley!

Rose said...

Those flowers are just beautiful!

Nezzy said...

Oh Miss Jill, 'tis such a busy time of year and I see your no exception!

Your flowers and your girl are shinnin' bloomers!!!

I can't wait to see your patio...I bet it's fabulous!

God bless ya and have a fantastic day sweetie!!! :o)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so excited you got a Dutch oven! I look forward to seeing your recipes. Here are all of my favorites: http://homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com/search/label/Dutch%20Oven%20Recipes

A Primitive Homestead said...

Beautiful blooms. My to do list is always growing. I gave my granddaughters each a sunflower kit of sunflowers. I am as excited as the children to see them grow. You will have your yard patio ready for the summer season. Family cook outs will be a must. Can't wait to see the big reveal. Blessings!
Lara