Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ball game, healthy snacks for summer and more

Summer is certainly in full swing! Had planned to blog and visit everyone a lot sooner but have not had much time for the computer. Today is dress rehearsal for Kathleen's dance recital this afternoon so I thought I'd try to take a few minutes and catch up :-)

These are a couple pictures of the girls on their last day of school. I take them here by this door to see how much they have grown over the years. :-)

Kathleen's last day of Kindergarten!!!

Hayley's last day of fifth grade!

So proud of both my girls for doing so great this school year and getting great marks! Love you both so much!!

Here is Skippy trying to push through the fence watching the girls go to the bus stop in the morning.

After school Kathleen likes to help get the mail and bring up the recycling container. That thing is about as big as she is and she insists on dragging it up the driveway! Don't tell Kathleen she can't do something because she will set her mind to prove you wrong! LOL


These are the yellow flowers that have bloomed on our butterfly bushes out front.

Our roses are coming out nicely as well.

We finally got our pond covered with netting and now we don't have to keep a baby gate across it! LOL So far the Blue Heron has not bothered them.

Kathleen dressed up in her ladybug outfit the other day and I just had to take a picture of her in the morning sun by the pond :-)


We have been participating in the reading program at the library and one morning I captured this shot of Elvis hanging out with Hayley while she was reading. :-)


"We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading" --B.F. Skinner

So our next experience was taking the girls to their first major league ball game and it happened to be our home town versus the area we have moved to! I haven't been to a ball game since I was a teenager and going back to my roots was pretty exciting. So even though I'm not a baseball fan I had to support my home town and that in itself was exciting! So Kathleen was born where we currently live and wanted to support our home team here so Jerry got on board and did the same. Hayley was born in NC but wanted to support my home town (and Jerry's) so she wore the clothes/outfit to do so. Of course everything had to match and be just so! LOL She wasn't happy I made her wear her tennis shoes because they didn't match, but since she had smashed up her toe the day before I insisted. ;-)

A family divided the Orioles versus the Phillies!

Even though there were more Phillies fans than Orioles in their home park (see all the red!!)...I kept the faith that the Orioles would not let me down! ;-)

We had pretty good seats and the zoom lens on my camera was awesome!

Nope I had no favorites just zooming in and snapping shots! LOL

It was almost 100 degrees that day sitting there and I packed us a cooler full of water and snacks because food is so expensive in the park!!! But I did let the girls get ice cream ($12.00 for 2!!) But their smiles were worth it :-)

I was extremely happy that the Orioles won!!!

Those Phillie fans were pretty quiet walking to their vehicles after talking lots of smack! LOL Speaking of vehicles when arriving Jerry had dropped the girls and I off at the front gate and parked. Well when we came out he couldn't remember where he parked! So we were walking all over in the heat looking for our van! LOL Not the most fun on a very hot day, but we found it then sat in some traffic and then finally headed out and went to Red Lobster for a nice dinner :-)

So how is everyone doing that is committing to healthier eating and exercise with me? I haven't updated lately but we are staying on track. One of the ways I make this easier for myself and my family is to be prepared. When buying fruits and veggies I prepare them when I get them home and make them easily accessible in the fridge. It's much easier for the girls to grab and stay with healthy choices when it's easily accessible.

Kiwi quick and easy for going to the park!

Tomatoes and cucumbers sliced for sandwiches and snacks. I use glass containers with plastic snap lids to keep them fresh.

Broccoli and cauliflower another great choice for daily snacks or going to a picnic lunch.

Delicious grapes and these are even more fun if you freeze them, a nice cool treat through the summer!

Yummy juicy apples are always available to the girls and us for meals and snacks!
Bananas and oranges too!

I am sure to keep Jerry healthy and on track by preparing large salads for his lunch :-)

This has several types of lettuce in it, tomatoes, cucumbers, black beans and feta cheese :-) So delicious!!

But being summer we do make cookies occasionally and we usually send them to Jerry's work. However I have been using wheat flour instead of white and you really can't taste a big difference. :-)


These sugar cookies are awesome and we make a glaze for the top. I may have shared this recipe before but for those of you that may not have seen it here it is again :-)

1 cup butter softened
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Frosting:

1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
food coloring (optional)

1) In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or until easy to handle.

2) On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters of your choice. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-8 mins. or until lightly browned.
Remove to wire racks to cool

3) In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, extract, salt, and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. add food coloring if desired. Frost cookies, decorate and enjoy!!!

Hope you are all enjoying your summer! Looking forward to visiting and catching up with what you have all been doing :-)

                                                               Blessings,
                                                                    Jill

10 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Summer IS in full swing at your house. Love Hayley's floppy hat and orange shades!!

Eileen said...

So do you have a snack bag made up for Nana when she comes to visit?
:-)
Girls look adorable as usual. Can't wait to come up and give them big hugs.

Heather said...

That salad with feta looks so delicious! I'm glad you had a fun time at the baseball game. My dad and his family live in Fairfax...kinda close to you???

Mark said...

It's 6:20 a.m. and I'm totally now starving for a salad! Not quite a breakfast meal but I'm sure it's healthier that Cap'n Crunch!
Love the photos. Especially the one of the dog poking it's head through the fence.
And thank God my kids have not asked me to take them to a baseball game yet. I think I would hang myself first. Instead of those bananas hanging, just picture me there.
m.

Heather said...

Looks like your having a very fun summer! I want one of those salads!

Kris said...

Great pictures of the girls! And that family shot of all of you is fantastic!!!!
Sounds like you are having a fun and busy summer!!!!
XO Kris

Nicolle said...

It looks like a fun and very busy summer for you guys. Summer is busy here too, and I'm having a hard time keeping up with blogs and all things related to the computer. I love all of your healthy snacks. We have been eating tons of fruits and salads. Kathleen's ladybug dress is adorable, and I love Hayley's summer hat. Cute!

I may have mentioned before, my mom has a large koi pond, and a blue heron ate some of their largest fish a couple of years ago. She was heartbroken. They have a net over theirs now too. :)

Enjoy your weekend.
xo.

Denise said...

wow! you have been busy. a good busy.

your cat's name is "elvis"... that is AWESOME. kinda makes me want a cat...kinda.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill,
Great summer fun with your sweet family. The girls look adorable and so happy enjoying the start of summer. Love the snacks and I like to plan the same types for us along with the baby carrots and celery sticks. We love frozen grapes too.
The pond looks great and I love seeing your pooch looking through the fence. Too cute.
Your flowers are doing so good too. We are due for a week of 100 degree days next week. I'll be doing a lot of watering.

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comments over the last month for our Miss B. You blessed me with your words.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

KERRY said...

Hi Jill!! I am finally getting around to visiting your blog :)
Great pics, all of that food looks so yummy :)
I would love to see a real baseball game one day, it looks so fun!
I hope you have a happy weekend xo