Monday, July 30, 2012

Fun activities for 2012 Olympics

The girls and I had a great time Friday preparing for the Olympics to start. We rode out to the craft store for supplies and when we came back I did an Olympic themed tea party :-)

I bought bugles and fruit roll ups in cherry flavor and I made a mini, edible Olympic torch to place on their plates. :-)

I love sharing this moments with my girls, and I know when they go back to school everything will just rush on by....

 See that black bar in the doorway? It's my pull-up bar. I'm determined to do at least one by the end of the year unassisted. LOL my arms are my weakness right now, but getting stronger all the time. ;-)

I made special Olympic cupcakes for them to enjoy afterwards. :-) They made their flags to add.


The girls worked hard on decorating shirts, hats and making their own torches! Kathleen's was top secret she didn't want us to see it until she finished, lol!

Such creativity! ;-)

Next on to the torch!

Of course we had to make them for Tinkerbell and the American girl Samantha ;-)

We played a bunch of relay and other games which I didn't photograph :-(. We made popcorn and served them in cones with red paper (crepe) to look like a torch for when the opening ceremony started. The kids had a great time and so did I.
Now I sit in anticipation watching the athletes compete. I just love watching the Olympic games.

I finished up my weekend making 7 loaves of zucchini bread. One I sent home with my neighbor's daughter after she was playing at our house all day. I also made a batch of lemon cookies, yum! Thanks to Kerri I found the recipe on her blog. Look up Little lemon cookies on her sidebar for the recipe. They are so delicious and so easy to make!

There is a frosting/glaze to put over top, but we thought they were sweet enough without adding it. So delicious!! ;-)

My parents have come up to take care of the house, dogs and our cat for us as we head off to vacation tomorrow morning and I can't wait! I'm caught up on my schoolwork and it will be so nice to relax and unwind! :-) So I will be on a little break for about a week. Hope you all have a great one!!!

                                                                  Blessings,
                                                                       Jill

11 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Tee shirts, and hats, and Tea, Oh My! I KNEW you would do something fun for the Olympics. What a great Mom you are. Enjoy your vacation and the time away!!

Mark said...

Seriously, Jill, where do you find the time and the imagination to come up with this stuff? Not to mention the energy! I would be totally wiped out hanging out with you and the girls. It's probably good that I only have one daughter and she has girlfriends to plan with.
Good job!
m.

my diary said...

nice post thanks for sharing i found you thrue other followers looking for to visit more blessings across the miles

Kris said...

Jill,
The girls will remember these special times with you, their whole lives. And they will carry the traditions on with their families! I can't tell you how many of my friends have said that they have patterned their own families after having known mine as children. We were so blessed! And now, I hope that my children and grandchildren will "carry the torch" for me.
Loved this!!!
XO Kris

Heather said...

oh how cute!!! love your olympic celebration and too funny I just took a picture of Anna with her pinky finger up drinking tea lol!! Great Job your making fantastic memories with your girls so wonderful to see thanks for sharing them with us ~Love Heather

Kat said...

Everything looks delicious I will be right over! I used to make zucchini bread but I don't much anymore. The girls look like they had a great time getting ready for the olympics! what fun! have a great last day of July! big hugs

Tara said...

One word... AMAZING!!! Boy how I wish we lived next door... I'd be over all the time with my girls to enjoy the fun things you plan! You are a rockin mom for sure! PS I cried on your dog post.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You are amazing as usual! I love the Olympic themed tea party idea. How cool is that? We just did a "Little House" themed birthday party for Hailey's 5th b-day. It was so much fun! I love putting on themed parties :) I love that you do, too!

Camille said...

What a creative Mama you are Jill! Your girls have so much fun with you...it is apparent in their faces. Enjoy your vacation! What a blessing to have a little time away to unwind and *get away* from the hustle and bustle of the *everyday* things.

Blessings to you!
Camille

Nicolle said...

Hi Jill,

Y'all are so cute. I just love your Olympics tea party. That flame made out of the bugle is adorable. I am sure your girls loved the party so much! I wish I could have joined you. :)

Enjoy your vacation!
xo

McVal said...

Wow you guys are creative! Love BOTH those types of torches you made! CUTE...