Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Little celebration, recipe and a goodbye

Today I am taking some time to get a new post on and visit your blogs I have been missing the updates! It's an incredibly hot day here again so I think the girls and I will hang out inside until this afternoon or evening when it cools. They are playing Super Mario Brothers on the Wii and having a blast! Some days just flow best not having a "schedule" and we have run so much this summer a down day is nice :-)
   We had a very small birthday celebration for Jerry the other day, just the 4 of us. Turned out so nice spending quality family time together.

Hayley wore her Happy Birthday sunglasses for the special day :-)


Kathleen made a special picture of Jerry's truck because she knew how special it was to him.



We thought he would enjoy a bean bag toss (corn hole) game for his desk at work, lol!


I love Kathleen's smile and laughter in this picture!


Jerry and his mini me, lol. As you know following my family there are silly moments as well...regularly! lol


I did ask for her approval to post it, lol. ;-)


Love this picture too!

Hayley was sure to insist on a picture of me with Jerry too ;-)


Hayley also made the cake for his birthday, a special dark chocolate!


Yes, a little short on candles... but I guess it's sometimes a good thing to celebrate your 5th birthday over again ;-)



Happy birthday Jerry!! We love you!!! From your girls ;-)

We've been getting some fresh zucchini from the Amish markets and friends of ours since we never got our garden started this year. So I made some yummy zucchini bread the other day. Sent some to Jerry's work and kept a loaf for home.


Zucchini Bread

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups zucchini (I chop mine into small pieces)
1 cup walnuts (optional) I usually leave these out Kathleen is not a fan.

Grease and flour two 8x4" pans
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon together in bowl.

Beat eggs, vanilla, oil, and sugar together in large bowl.

Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in zucchini (and nuts if using) until well combined. Pour batter into pans and bake 40-60 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 20 mins, then remove from pan and cool completely.

Sneak a warm piece and enjoy with a glass of milk! ;-) Enjoy!!!

The goodbye we had this week was saying goodbye to his Nissan truck that has served us well for 14 years.
I happen to catch the tow truck from my window.


I know it's just a truck, but I know what it meant to Jerry and how down he has been about losing it. The insurance company did declare it totaled. :-(


Gone but not forgotten.... all the states we moved to, the places we've been, and the awesome service it provided. The fact that it was paid for was a benefit too.

We did find him another truck. It's a used Ford F150, 2005 with 141,000 miles! But we have heard good things about this truck running forever and the previous owner kept it in excellent condition. It looks brand new. I only have a picture of it on my phone so when I get a good shot I'll post a picture here. Thanks for all your kind words and emails. Some of you I have no way to reach personally, but I want to thank you for reading along and leaving such kind comments. I really appreciate it! I also want to welcome my new followers and encourage you to leave a comment and say hi.

                                                           Have a fabulous Tuesday!!!

                                                                       Blessings,
                                                                           Jill

13 comments:

Katharine said...

Down days are wonderful! Funny how when you follow a blog for a while, you notice the changes and I thought when I looked at the pictures how much more grown up your Haley is looking. I thought the same of my son this week, seems I just turned around and he traded his younger look for a more mature one! Happens fast! Blessings on your day!

Kris said...

Happy Birthday to Jerry! I love the pics. His mini me, and your mini me.
Goodbye to his faithful truck, and yea for the new one!!!!
Thanks for sharing your recipe. Looks yummy. I need to make some of that with all of the zucchini!!!
Have a great day, and stay cool!
XO Kris

Mark said...

With you being so busy and posting so little this Summer, I thought that you were saying "Goodbye" by hanging up your blogging hat. Don't ever do that because it's a good recorded history for your girls. And for you too once you start to lose your mind. ha!
I'm glad to see a post from you.
And now you got me wanting a pick-up truck too! Or maybe I'll just borrow Jerry's!
m.

McVal said...

That bread recipe sounds delish! Thanks!
And I'm sorry about the truck. Especially since it was paid off...
I hope he enjoys his new one.
and Happy Birthday to him!

Cranberry Morning said...

What a nice and special family-time birthday! Loved the family photos. :-)

Thanks for stopping in at Cranberry Morning. You would love that chocolate-orange Bundt cake. It disappeared around here pretty fast!

Annie said...

Happy Birthday to Jerry! I hope he likes his new-to-you new truck. We are sure enjoying ours!

Vale ♥ said...

Your pics are lovely, your family looks very happy and it's a joy to see your post ! Greetings from Italy

Fashion and Cookies
You're invited to my $50 GIVEAWAY on LASPACENY.com !

Sonya Ann said...

You have an ADORABLE family!
I know how crazy it gets during the summer. It's busy here too. You would think that it wouldn't be as hectic with a 16 and a 20 year old but there are days when I just can't keep up.
Enjoy the down days and stay cool.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting!

Looks like you have had a fun-filled summer so far!

Eileen said...

Have a lot of squash so will make the bread. Dad will love it.
Looks like you all had a good time for Jerry's birthday. Love Kathleen's truck picture. And Hayley's funny face. Love those two soooo much.
hugs

Sheila said...

Love the pictures of your family. Just seeing those makes me smile. I'm glad y'all found a new to you truck. We're still looking for a replacement for the Focus. Kevin came home the other day and asked me what "zukes" were. I asked him why he was asking and then I told him not to bring tons home--though a small amount would be okay!! He wasn't too happy when he heard it was zucchini--apparently a lady he works with has a wonderful garden and is bringing in things to share. Sorry for the long rambling comment---hope y'all have a wonderful week. Take care.

KERRY said...

Hi Jill!! This was a sweet catch up post :)
Happy birthday to your husband and I noticed some Swedish Fish amongst his gifts, a bloggy friend (I need to drop the word bloggy) sent me some at Christmas time.
Sorry your husband had to see his beloved truck go, I hope you make the same memories with the new one!
Hayley looks like her dad I think and she did a great job with the cake too.
Enjoy those warm summer days because they are slowly creeping my way hehehe
Have a wonderful weekend xo

Nicolle said...

I LOVE zucchini bread. My grandma used to make it all the time.

I'm sure it was hard seeing the truck being towed away. I'm glad you guys found something new to drive though!

xo