Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Odds and ends :-)

Since it's been awhile since I've posted so I decided to do two posts today just catching up a bit. The other weekend we went yard saling and found a few good finds. I haven't yet taken pictures of everything though.
Remember I was posting about visiting the Lodge Factory store in Tennessee? Well I found this great deal 3 more cast iron pans never used for $10.00!

The recipe book was a bonus for 50 cents :-)

I also lucked out and found a Vera Bradley wristlet for $1.00 never used :-)


Hayley has been wanting a place to hang her hats and found this coat rack perfect for the job at a yard sale.


We spent some time reorganizing and painting the ceiling in our kitchen. Spring cleaning in the fall :-)


Of course I have yet to take an after, lol. :-) But I promise it looks much better now.

This next picture I just had to take and tuck away with my memories.... after Kathleen left for school in the morning she left her beloved kitty on the table with her latest coloring project. Yes my windows need cleaning and the dog cages were stacked from reorganization (without the dogs in them of course, lol) but the moment just stayed with me....the daily things in my life that I treasure and want to always remember. The tender age of 6 years old and the things she loves and engages in.


Been busy prepping some burgers for future meals, a huge time saver! I try to do this each time I buy in bulk. Just make up up and store them in the freezer to use towards future meals.


The other day in target I found these cute little Ramekins to add to my collection for making some yummy recipes.


Here's a little recipe to enjoy perfect for this time of year:

Individual Upside-down Apple Tarts

3/4 cup sugar
4 medium Golden Delicious apples
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
4 gingersnap cookies
1 puff pastry sheet

Preheat oven to 450. In heavy saucepan, cook sugar over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue cooking sugar, stirring with a fork until its melted and swirl pan til its a deep golden color. Pour into 4 6oz ramekins. Peel and cut apples into 5 wedges, and core. Put wedges back together and set in ramekins, stem end down. Cut butter in 4 pieces. Break each gingersnap in 4 pieces, and place 4 pieces in each apple. Top with 1 piece butter. Arrange ramekins and bake apples in middle of oven 45 mins. Halve pastry sheet to make 4 pieces, and chill in wrap. Remove ramekins from oven and drape pastry over each one. Return to oven and reduce temp to 350. Bake 20 to 25 mins or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Invert over dessert plates and serve with whipped cream.

I've had this recipe written down for awhile but can't remember where I originally retrieve it from.

I've also been working on a little project for my best friend's son about Flat Stanley (based on a book they are reading in class). I got to keep Flat Stanley for a week and in that time I took him places and took photos as well. After journaling his adventures I sent him back to Colin's school. Here's a sneak peek.....


Had to place Flat Stanley under his foot so he wouldn't blow away! LOL. Of course I was getting some strange looks from passersby....lol but I will do just about anything for a child and my friend knew I was the person to choose to help with the project. :-) Here's a couple more pictures of the bears in our area.


And since it's football season....

How about them refs?........lol


So I've been working on college work as usual, organizing and cleaning, arranging the girl's new schedules, reading book reviews, entertaining guests, exercising and more! Planning to post more regularly....even if it's quick to say hi!!

                                                              Have an amazing day!!

                                                                      Blessings,
                                                                           Jill

13 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Don't you just love garage/yard sales? Great way to find things you need or want on the cheap, and cheap entertainment even when you don't buy a thing! :)

KERRY said...

Hi Jill!! So good to catch up with things in your life :) Aren't ramekins just so cute, I could buy heaps of them (I don't) and never use them all but just buy them because of their cuteness lol
I know what you mean about cherishing the little things that your girls love at this moment in time...they grow up way too fast!!
Your kitchen is awesome btw, wish I had a big one too :)
Have a wonderful day whatever you get up to xoxo

Kris said...

Oh we can't be talking about football refs right now!! LOVE the pic of Kathleen's place at the table, with her kitty sitting there, waiting for her to return from school!!! What a steal on those Lodge pans!!! Be sure to season them well!!! And tell Hayley she should consider painting her new snazzy hat rack! How fun!
Love the new fresh paint. And as always, I enjoyed my visit!!
Hugs,
Kris

Nicolle said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the layout. You found some great garage sale deals. I have wanted to hit up a few sales, but just haven't found the time. My mom is an avid garage sale fan! :) We buy hamburger meat in bulk too, and I do what you do with it. So much easier. Love your red ramekins.
xo

Nonnie said...

You guys done good!! ;-) What a sweet idea to take a pic to preserve the memory of your 6 year old's place. I have some ramekins I have never used. The apple tarts sounds like a great way to use them. Nice kitchen. Look forward to seeing the finished job. Your cabinets are beautiful.
(dumb question - I am curious about the hamburger patties and why the hole in the center?)

Wendi said...

The ref line made me lol! I saw those ramekins but passed since my cabinets need a good purge. Purging and organizing is an ongoing project for me. Is Haley letting her bangs grow out? Megan really wants to, but I dont know. To answer your question about Megan's stories and pictures... yes, it hard to get rid of them. I think choosing which to keep and get rid of is the hardest. Great finds at the garage sales. I love cast iron. I used some for dinner tonight. Okay, now that this is turning into one long running mess I will say have a great evening!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

It looks like you have a lot happening at your place :) :) I do thing you got a steal of a deal on those beautiful cast iron pans ;) :) : What's great, is that with good care, you'll be able to pass those down to your daughters :) : Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Heather said...

The kitchen looks great. Our house needs the ceilings done so bad but it is that crazy popcorn ceiling we really need to scrape it all off and then paint it. I wonder if they make some attachment you can stick on your shop vac so it sucks it up while you scrape it off. But seeing your pretty ceilings really makes me want to tackle that project. Love your wrislet I have that purse hehe and I love cast iron pans I have a ton of them. I just found a link with recipes for deserts to cook in them I will have to pass it along to you ~Have a great rest of the week ~Love Heather

McVal said...

Wow! You guys have been productive!!! The most spring/fall cleaning I've done lately was the upstairs hall and bathroom which had been neglected all summer...
Good job!

Tara said...

Love your new ramkins!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Great deal on the pans! I cook with cast iron all the time. Love it! Looks like you got some great yard sale deals. I haven't been yardsaling since Aug. Miss it! Your kitchen looks great :)

Beloved's Bride said...

Fabulous thrifty buys! CastIron is a favorite around my house! I will have to try the little recipe you posted. Thanks.

Glad to hear school is going okay.
- Carmen

Jenny said...

You always find the best stuff at sales. I love that Vera. So cute, it is perfect for taking cash to future sales! ;)