Thursday, February 28, 2013

Snow, scrapbooking, cooking and more

I'm so ready for Spring.... this cold I can do without! We've been keeping busy entertaining and more. I finally took some time to start pulling out my scrap booking things and the girls worked on theirs as well. It was such a nice day of reminiscing over the pictures and memories. Have to make time to do that more often as we all enjoy it so much. I will be doing more posts on this soon.


I'm not even concerned about showing the messiness of the room...there was a lot of creativity going on! ;-)


Elvis had to come over with us and check out what was going on.


He so wanted that ribbon she was working with....


Stalking mission accomplished!


Every time we started to do a page he would plop himself down on top of it.

Hayley made a cool beaded bag for her Valentines at school.


Jerry bought the girls tote bags back from San Francisco with new aprons in them.


We had enough snow one day for some pretty pictures :-)


I made a lemon chicken meal with red potatoes one night that was a big hit, so moist and yummy :-) This is it prepped to go in the oven.


Also made up a pasta salad for company we had with yellow peppers, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, olive oil and blue cheese.


Also made up some yummy lemon bars and chocolate /cookie bars.

This group of cuties has been getting together ever since Hayley and Maci were 6 years old.

I love Carly's smile.... she's the new addition to the gang but we love her so much it was hard to imagine her not being here before, lol :-)


In other news.... Kathleen won a coloring contest at the grand opening of the Dollar Tree and received a gift card!


She is also quite the helper in the kitchen with me. On this night we were making stuffed chicken/spinach shells and she stuffed the shells for the first time. She did awesome!

I love spending time with my girls like this and teaching them to cook and make healthy choices is so important to start at a young age. Sets them up for a lifetime of good eating habits and Independence.
She turned in the kitchen to reach for something and her apron got caught on the door handle! LOL


She was like "uh, Mom...little help here?"


Measuring is another way to enhance and build upon the math learning skills.



Having fresh veggies is another daily part of our meals and I am all about peeling and dicing my carrots; especially after reading an article that the precut and washed carrots are soaked in bleach first..then rinsed... yeah umm no thanks! We don't need extra chemicals/ toxins in our food. We do our best to eliminate that as much as we can.


Elvis has been enjoying his seat by the fire every night, we actually have to pull that chair over for him and if we don't have it there he will meow at us till we do!


Kathleen loves to sort money and coins that she saves. My dad brought a counter up for her and she was so excited to use it. She always looks for the D coins for her collection and for Poppop.


Her Tinkerbell backpack was literally falling apart....but luckily we had a backup one we had bought when Children's Place went out of business. I bought the backpack and lunch box for only $1.50!

I'm sure by the end of the year we will be doing this again!


Her teacher is leaving tomorrow...she has been a substitute for several months while her regular teacher was out on maternity leave. So I arranged with the parents to get a gift card and candies and a card we also did flowers for her as well.


I know Kathleen will miss her! I even found a goodbye card that was Dr. Seuss related.... he is one of my favorite authors and he celebrates his birthday March 2nd! In my March post from last year is activities, etc. related to him. There will never be another Dr. Seuss!

Been busy keeping up on Facebook and Instagram if you want to follow along my Facebook link is at the top right and my Instagram is jillkh. I am set to private but you can send a request to me to follow along. Since it's quick and easy I update there more frequently!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

                                                                    Blessings,
                                                                        Jill

15 comments:

Beloved's Bride said...

Sweet Pictures. Your recipes look very yummy!

Wendi said...

Megan makes a big mess when she is creating. I think the mess helps her creative juices flow!

I read that about the carrots also. Yuck! I now buy whold carrots and cut them into sticks.

I looks like you are all keeping busy! :)

Veronica Lee said...

What a delightful post - fun pics of cute kids, gorgeous snowscapes and yummy food!!

Have a terrific weekend!

Kerri said...

I really enjoyed your post Jill...such sweet moments happening over at your house! So cool that the girls like to scrapbook with you. Love their darling aprons!! And, Elvis looks GIGANTIC in that chair!
BTW, I am sooo over winter. I know it hasnt been a bad one, but I can't take much more! I think reading blogs where people are wearing shorts and picnicing down by the beach is not helping me either! :)

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

You have picturesque snow. I'm no longer seeing the beauty in ours. And guess what? It's snowing again this morning.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill,
It is easy to see your home is filled with love and lots of creative fun. Your girls are such a delight and learning so much from you. I love seeing the scrapbooking going on and the creations, cooking and those aprons are darling.

Your home in the snow pics is beautiful.

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment and birthday greeting.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Sonya Ann said...

You have a picture perfect life! Thank you for sharing it.
Have a great weekend.

Camille said...

Fun photos of your *everyday* happenings Jill! What a blessing that you are teaching your girls all about cooking and letting them get in on the adventure! They will remember those times with you forever.

And...scrapbooking?? What a FUN thing to do together! I should get Emma going on that, too.

Eeeeewwww about the pre-cut/peeled carrots!! It would make sense, wouldn't it? Okay...that's it for me...no more buying of those...you've ruined it for me! LOL! Thanks for sharing the info, though...it's a good thing to know. :(

Blessings to you!
Camille

Eileen said...

Love when Dad and I come to visit. We like everyone else feel so warm and welcomed at your home. So proud of our granddaughters and how they are learning so much in such fun ways. But they have the best teachers....their Mom and Dad. :-)
love ya

McVal said...

Awe! You never want to squelch their creativity.
Great review

Tara said...

Hi Jill... I love all of that yummy cooking going on. Oh I'm so hungry! Anyway... I got back into scrapbooking in January but then stopped again. I think your post just might be enough to motivate me again! Thanks!
Hope you're having a happy week. Love Hayley's heart bag!
~ tara

Patti said...

Jill, I don't know what is going on with my Blogger dashboard. I just discovered that your blog doesn't show up there anymore...it's as if I wasn't a follower of your blog.

I haven't seen any updates coming through in months, but I didn't think much of that, because I know your life is crazy busy, so I figured blogging had just been moved to the back burner. But lo and behold, I discovered that you aren't listed among the blogs I follow. Not sure what is up with that, as I never "stopped following." I will try "following" again and see what happens.

I always enjoy seeing pictures of your girls. My, but they are growing up. Don't you wish you could slow things down a bit?

Love and hugs to you,
Patti

Sam said...

I love seeing posts like this, everyday life in someone elses world :) Those spinach stuffed shells look so yummy! You totally inspired me to get back to scrapbooking with my girls.
Sam

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love the beaded valentine.

You are doing such a great job by allowing your girls to help you in the kitchen. They will thank you someday!

Looks like things are going well. Hope you have a great weekend :)

Kerry said...

Hi Jill!
Scrapbooking is so much fun but like you, I don't make enough time for it. I got so overwhelmed at the amount of pictures that I wanted to put into a scrapbook that I stopped altogether!!
Your snow pictures are beautiful and you have a lovely home (I love the lamp post too).
Happy Easter to you and your family!! xo