Thursday, April 18, 2013

Adjusting

Perfectly overcast day for sharing some random thoughts. This medicine sucks, as if I wasn't already tired I am now more tired! At the lowest dosages I can't imagine how I'll feel if they decide to up it. At least it will be the end of May before I have my next appointment. As a busy mom....I'm frustrated to say the least. We bought a blood pressure monitor to keep track of my blood pressure and pulse throughout the day.

Funny how quickly your life can change and certain things become a necessity. A wake up call to not take our health for granted. Elvis thinks the noise of the machine is super cool....he makes me smile and find the positive as he sits by me and watches each time I need to take it. :-) That intent stare of "if something should move...I'm going to conquer and catch it!" LOL


Of course Owen is picture perfect each time he sees the camera in my hand....he quickly sat down and looked up at me when I picked my camera up this morning, lol. Love my fur babies....


So in making smarter choices I have been filling up a large cup we got when we went to the Virginia aquarium. I guess it's about 32 ounces and I refill it a few times a day. I've always been good with drinking water but been trying to get in even more.

Still enjoying one of my favorite snacks, blueberries and Greek yogurt :-) Can't go wrong with that combination ;-)


This past Tuesday I went power walking with my friend Lori, first time since starting the medicine...determined to push through my tiredness. We have always walked about 2 hours each time we meet up. Jerry warned me to start out slow with it....well we got about an hours walk in and I have to say I was completely wiped out for the rest of the day. Thanks meds. would you adjust already! I'm used to working out every day and now I have to ease back in and listen to my body's signals....that's hard for me because I don't slow down well at all. In fact I get a little cranky and frustrated when someone tells me I can't do something....then I want to prove them wrong!

Jerry insists I make more "down" time until my heart evens out with it's function. I have always kept a written journal since I was in elementary school and I bought a lovely Vera Bradley planner that had sat on my desk for awhile. I decided to put it to good use and I've always loved to write....so I've been recoding my thoughts, blood pressure readings, and how I feel in there. It helps....


I have my Project Life scrap booking stuff spread out on the dining room table and sit and work on it as I feel up to it. Recording memories of good times always is encouraging.


I absolutely love to read and my neighbor Julia lent me this book to read and I am about 1/2 way through. It's really good. I feel reading is so wonderful for letting us escape the realities of real life some days. We all need that journey every once in awhile. :-) I'm always look for good recommendations so if you have any please leave them in the comment area or email me. Thanks!


So I'm taking it day by day and adjusting the best I know how. Planning healthy meals and trying to rest when I have the opportunity. College work is still keeping me busy as well as running a household, running errands and volunteering at the girl's school. I was there yesterday in Kathleen's room and she was so excited to have me there. I love that my little first grader had no problem running up to me and giving me a big hug and kiss when I arrived. I will cherish that because I know entering Hayley's classroom in 6th grade that is not likely to happen, lol! These moments....they are what I live for..... :-)


             "To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first" ---William Shakespeare

           "Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances"
                                                                   ----Benjamin Franklin

                                                                   Blessings,
                                                                        Jill

10 comments:

Kris said...

Oh Jill, I am so sorry you are having to go through this medical adjustment! Meds can really upset the system. I hope you adjust to them soon.
You are making good changes it sounds like though.
I have that book, but have not read it. I am reading another good one right now.
Hugs,
Kris

Patti said...

Oh, my sweet friend, I'm so sorry about your health problems. You are exactly where I was in 1994, when I was told that I was "looking at a lupus diagnosis." I had to dramatically alter (translation: slow down) my life. I could no longer be involved in everything I wanted to be involved in, nor could my kids be involved in all the activities they wanted to be in. In short, I learned that just because I (or my kids) might WANT to do something, it doesn't mean they NEED to. There are actually very few activities my kids NEEDED to be in. I eventually learned not to chafe about my pared-down life, realizing that it gave me an opportunity to have the old-fashioned, home-centered life I had long wanted. May it be the same for you.

Love and hugs,
Patti

Sonya Ann said...

Don't push yourself! Please we all need you. You don't have to do it all. Ok, I have nagged enough.

Tara said...

Oh Jill ~ I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Please listen to Jerry and take it slow... 2 hours of walking seems like a lot to me... just make sure you're not overdoing it. But wow on the healthy eating. You really can't go more right with blueberries and yogurt. (I guess I should put down my buttered muffin... ya think?) And water.. I carry it around each day but some days are better than others for sure. Today not so good on getting water in me. Sometimes I workout in the morning thinking I'll drink a bunch of water after and then it's noon and I haven't had a sip... ya bad, I know!
You inspire. You still inspire despite health issues. Hang in there and do what the doctor says, k?

Have a happy Thursday, tara

Tara said...

Oh Jill ~ I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Please listen to Jerry and take it slow... 2 hours of walking seems like a lot to me... just make sure you're not overdoing it. But wow on the healthy eating. You really can't go more right with blueberries and yogurt. (I guess I should put down my buttered muffin... ya think?) And water.. I carry it around each day but some days are better than others for sure. Today not so good on getting water in me. Sometimes I workout in the morning thinking I'll drink a bunch of water after and then it's noon and I haven't had a sip... ya bad, I know!
You inspire. You still inspire despite health issues. Hang in there and do what the doctor says, k?

Have a happy Thursday, tara

Sweet Tea said...

I went back and read some of your previous posts, since I wasn't award of your recent health issues. Medical "stuff" just SUCKS!! It seems to me that your meds should make you feel better, not worse. I take atenolol for mitral valve prolapse, and it makes me feel soooooo much better than I did before taking it. Hope the docs can figure out exactly what it takes to get your back on track. I've said a prayer for you, Friend...Also, I've gotta tell you this - Monday I was at the grocery store when a woman passed me pushing a cart with a child standing on the end of it. I stared at the child, thinking I KNEW that child, but couldn't instantly think who she was. Then it dawned on me that she looked EXACTLY like your Kathleen!! So, you can tell Kathleen that she has a twin sister in Louisiana. LOL

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, You have such a great attitude which is so important. I know it can be frustrating when you have to adjust by slowing down. That is so hard for me as well.
I hope your blood pressure becomes stable and you begin to get your energy back soon.
Love the fur babies and their concern for you. Too cute.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend and prayers continue for you my friend.
Hugs, CM

Simone said...

I'm learning too, that it's important to listen to what your body is telling you. I have pushed myself so many times but now, when I have no other choice but to listen, I'm learning to really slow down. I hope that you will heal and quickly and that the doctors will figure out what it is that is causing your heart to go haywire. Take good care, my friend.

McVal said...

Oh my dear! You take it easy!!!

Along A Widowed Road said...

Hi Jill,
wondering how your doing and if your adjusting with the meds and all.
Hey I got my 31 items from the giveaway (Thank you again). I'm now doing a giveaway on my blog. When you feel better and are up to it drop by and leave a comment to be entered.

Hugs, Viola