Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Food, helpers and a relaxing day

My salad spinner has to be one of my favorite additions to my kitchen :-) Keeps the lettuce nice and crisp for building healthy salads.


One of my favorite easy, healthy salads I like to have for lunch is lettuce with tomatoes, goat cheese, pine nuts and yummy red wine vinegar...


I've also been searching for healthy snacks with protein and I came across this recipe on Pinterest for roasted chick peas. Delicious! For the ingredients you will need:

1 can garbanzo beans 14 oz. rinsed and drained
2 tbps olive oil
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Rinse, drain and air dry chickpeas


Line cookie tray with parchment paper and place chickpeas on tray. Bake for 30 mins. stirring once at 15 min. mark.


Pour chickpeas into a mixing bowl, mix with olive oil, brown sugar, salt & cinnamon


Enjoy! delicious :-)

I've also been enjoying lots of healthy stir fry with a little olive oil and shrimp is one of our favorites.


I just buy frozen bags of precooked shrimp, defrost, remove tails and toss into stir fry to heat!


We have actually added this to our Thursday dinner plan because it is quick and easy after dance class for Kathleen.

I did make a dessert for friends last weekend, one was a delicious yogurt/strawberry cake. Also from Pinterest, turned out so yummy!


But this is the only photo I remembered to take! LOL

I also made these smores in a crescent roll.


They were o.k. but next time I think I will add more chocolate, marshmallows and Graham cracker crumbs because the crescent roll overpowered the sweetness.

My girl's have been great helpers, they were before but they have really been helping me out. Before having friends over this past weekend they helped me clean. Kathleen did the bathrooms...


And Hayley did the vacuuming. They also brought up the play kitchen from downstairs for Carly to play with. Hard to believe she will be 2 years old in May!


Jerry bought me more beautiful roses....


He was spending some time in the yard getting mowing and mulching done.


We are getting more signs of Spring, trees blooming more now... so pretty. :-)


Our birds are returning to the birdhouses around our yard to make their nests....


And from all the rain the other day our mini "stream" has come back. All the kids love playing in it.


On Sunday our friends asked us over to the place where they camp and we had a really nice relaxing day. Just what we needed.


A peaceful lake.....


Their golf cart got new life as "Herbie" :-)


The girls had a blast riding around on it!


We fell in love with their little dogs and Jerry had fun spoiling them with food!


Kathleen was happy carrying them around!

The only down part of the day is when we were leaving Jerry pulled into the little store to see what they had and he ran into a large rock that was sticking out on one side. So I have nice deep scratches in my new van :-( So I guess we will be contacting a body shop to match paint or something.


So this week has been off to a busy, crazy start. I have Kathleen home today with bronchitis and Jerry goes in for surgery on his knee tomorrow. So I must admit not much resting for me, lol. ;-) It's all good because I'm happiest taking care of the ones I love!

                                                                       Blessings,
                                                                          Jill

15 comments:

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, Love this post and all the fun at your home. Thank you for sharing the recipes. Everything looks so yummy. I love that kind of salad too with wine vinegar. The chick peas look so delish. I will be trying this one for sure.
Your flowers from your hubby are gorgeous. Love the color. Your home is so pretty and how wonderful the girls help you out with the cleaning.
Hope you are feeling a bit better and adjusting to your new direction.
Keeping you in prayers my dear.
Hugs, CM

Celestina Marie said...

Forgot to say, get well wishes to Kathleen and Best Wishes on your hubs surgery.
XO CM

Simone said...

How are you feeling? I would love to try the garbanzo beans. I'm not sure if I'd like it but I'm willing to give it a try. Your family adores you so much. You can see that in the smiles on their faces. I will be praying that Jerry's surgery goes well. Take good care.

Along A Widowed Road said...

I'm glad your resting and taking care of yourself. I sure love your blog, I know I've said that before.
Love how both your girlies just want to help out. Prayers for Jerry's surgery.

God bless you,
Viola

Mama Hen said...

Jill I always love visiting your blog and seeing the wonderful pictures. You are such a fantastic mom and I hope you feel better my friend. These pictures show such a peaceful time and the food looks delicious! Take it easy and rest when you can. Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Tara said...

Yes, happiest taking care of the ones we love... I feel the same too! So sorry that your little Kathleen is home sick... feel better soon! And to Jerry... yikes... knee surgery. I'll pray for him tomorrow!

Thanks for the chick pea recipe. I have hypoglycemia and love a protein snack recipe. I'm tire of a handful of almonds so thanks for sharing. I have a notebook of recipes and I have a bunch of yours in there. I'll add this one to it!

Stay healthy... tara

McVal said...

Good luck with the illness and knees thing! I hope all goes well with that.
What yummy foods!!!

Kerri said...

Good to catch up over here Jill! My salad spinner broke about a year ago and I miss having it! Those smores look good...I would have eaten them anyway...crescent rolls are so addicting!
Hope Kathleen is feeling better and hope Jerry's surgery was a success!

Nicolle said...

I pray that Jerry's surgery went well! I know what you mean, when I am caring for those that I love, it makes me the happiest. Your salad looks yummy. I will try the red wine vinegar. I have been loving balsamic vinegar with a little lemon on my salads. I have had the roasted garbanzo beans, but never sweet. I have had them spicy. Will try your recipe. They sounds delicious. Hope you are resting and feeling well! xo

Hanne said...

First yummy yummy :)

Great photos

Have a nice weekend

Sweet Tea said...

Argh! So sorry about your van! Everything else looks like great fun. Sounds like you're adjust to your new diet. Good for you!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love my salad spinner, too! I love that your girls are smiling for the camera as they are helping you. I wish my kids would smile while doing their chores. You're obviously doing a great job, mama!

Kat White said...

When is dinner did I miss it? LOL! I hope Jerry's surgery goes okay and speedy recovery. Poor Kathleen I hope she gets better soon. Hugs

Camille said...

Great *update* of life's happenings my friend. So sorry about your hubby's knee and your little Kathleen's bronchitis!! Remember to go gently on yourself...don't overdo it!! Let some things slide to get through these busy days. Praying for you all today...

Blessings,
Camille

Julie said...

Where the chickpeas crispy? I don't like them soft and gross but crispy...could be interesting.
I love all the pictures you share. Thank you.
Have a blessed weekend.