Monday, April 15, 2013

Making Buttermilk dill Tuna salad with my helper Kathleen

First, I want to thank you all for your sweet comments and emails about my health. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you and the support you give and the friendships I've made. THANK YOU!!!

I got a nice surprise this Saturday, Hayley has been sick so I stayed home with her and Jerry offered to get groceries for the week with Kathleen. When he came back he brought me these beautiful roses "just because". It really brightened up my day!


The dogs however left an unpleasant present for me outside the back door... they were so proud of themselves for getting rid of a snake! However dead or alive I'm not fond of seeing them...lol. I think they ended up playing with it to death :-(


Jerry was also super excited that he found a great deal on Craiglslist for a power washer. Our house needs it so bad right now and they are so expensive. He had some $$ saved and bought it from an older gentlemen who is retiring to Florida. He only had it for a year and took great care of it. Had all the warranty papers and everything for only $180.00. Can't beat that for a good quality one!


While he was going to get the power washer Kathleen stayed home with Hayley and I and wanted to help me cook. I was preparing a healthy lunch so I was happy to have her lend me a hand! This is the outfit she dressed in that morning and since we were at home for awhile I just went with it! LOL Had to take a picture before the apron and hat went on.

Have I said yet today how much I love this little girl?? I do! I do! :-)

All that healthy food was taking over my counter tops but I worked on getting some order established before cooking.


We got out all the ingredients and Kathleen grabbed her color coded measuring spoons she loves so much! (Thank you again Aunt Teresa for those! We put them to good use!)


The ingredients for BUTTERMILK DILL TUNA SALAD (Clean eating Magazine, April/May, 2013)

1 lb. red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
12 oz. asparagus, tough ends trimmed
1/2 cup 2% milk (I used skim)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp all-natural olive oil mayonnaise
2 tsp dried dill or 3 to 4 tsp chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
1 6.4 ounce pouch wild albacore tuna ( although Jerry thought it could use more)
2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and chopped ( and these he thought it could use less, lol)
2 radishes chopped

Kathleen got busy washing the potatoes....


She wanted so badly to chop them herself and grabbed  a butter knife out of the drawer but I had to gently explain why that wouldn't work ;-) I am going to look into those knives sets and no cut gloves for children, I think Rachel Ray sells them. Then she can learn even more and safely until she gets the hang of it.


Into the water they go!


She wanted to be sure Jasmine came along to help!


Cook potatoes until just tender and then drain. Also steam Asparagus until tender crisp 3-5 minutes.


Prep radishes while these are boiling.


Next in a jar with a tight fitting lid mix the dressing. ( I used a Mason jar.)

Put milk, vinegar, mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper in jar, shake well and let sit 5 minutes. Kathleen really enjoyed this part.

We love smelling spices and other ingredients as we go along. :-)


I also taught her how to take the seeds out of the cucumbers.


In a large bowl, combine potatoes, asparagus, tuna and cucumbers. Shake dressing and pour over top of potato mixture. Toss gently to coat and top with radishes.

Nutrients (12 oz)
calories 259
Total fat 8 g
Sat fat 1g
Carbs 28g
Fiber 5g
Sugars 7g
Protein 20g
Sodium 404 mg


It was really good and healthy ;-)


Kathleen alerted me that Jasmine wanted to steal some clementines....


So we helped her out and had a little snack ;-) Having fresh fruits and vegetables available with easy access definitely encourages healthy eating for children.

And their dolls! ;-)


Next up it was time to make a healthy carrot cake from scratch. But the outdoors was calling to Kathleen so she went out to play with the neighborhood kids. Hayley went out for a little bit too to get some fresh air. There was a tent to build from tarps and ropes, ball to play and so much more!

It has been such a joy watching them all grow up together over the past 8 years! :-) Most of the neighborhood is boys and it is so sweet how well they all get along!

The next recipe is Carrot Cake also from the Clean Eating magazine same issue.

These are the ingredients:


Olive oil cooking spray (I use Misto aluminum sprayer to use only fresh oils no chemicals! I got mine in Bed, Bath & Beyond)
3 large carrots, peeled and ends trimmed
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (Love Bob's Red Mill products!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup maple sugar ( this is for a sweeter taste yet healthier then traditional sugar. I did not have any on hand so I used regular and it works fine )
1/4 cup safflower oil
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (Do not use nonfat or Greek)
1/2 cup 1/3 less fat cream cheese plain room temperature
1/4 cup raw honey
1 tap orange zest

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mist a 9 inch round baking pan with cooking spray. Cut a 9 inch round piece of parchment paper and fit inside pan.


Use food processor to grate and chop carrots (1 1/2 cups for recipe)


In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt, set aside.


Using a hand mixer or standing electric mixer add maple sugar, oil and yogurt, beat on medium speed until light and frothy about 3-4 minutes.


Add dry ingredients in, in 3 parts. Beat on lowest speed until just incorporated.


Transfer to prepared pan and bake in center of the oven until edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. About 35-37 minutes. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 mins. in pan. Invert cake onto a plate and gently peel off parchment paper. Invert cake back to wire rack so cake is right side up and cool COMPLETELY!


While cake is cooling... in the standing mixer or with a hand held mixer and bowl, add cream cheese, honey and zest. Beat on medium-high until light and smooth, about 2 minutes, spread over cake leaving a small border.


Enjoy!!


                                      "It is the responsibility of leadership to provide opportunity, and
                                        the responsibility of individuals to contribute"  --William Pollard

Teaching our children life skills is critical for them throughout their life. Let them see beyond technology and know how to provide for themselves and how to survive and be independent. This world is challenging enough, but what an injustice we would do to them if we didn't encourage self-respect and self-confidence and the ability to play, learn, laugh and grow into amazing adults who are well-adjusted and thriving. Do not set limits on all they can be and above all love them through every trial and tribulation.

                                      "He who has a why to live can bear almost anyhow" --Friedrich Nietzsche
                     
                                      "Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom" -Aristotle

                                      "Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant.
                                        There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks"
                                                                                                       --Johann Gottfried Von Herder

                              Have a wonderful week! Wishing you all many blessings and good fortune!

                                                                           Jill
                                       

9 comments:

Sonya Ann said...

I've got to say I'm loving the outfit. The powerwasher is great but the outfit wins hands down.

Nonnie said...

Yes, the outfit wins the day, and I like the chef's hat to top it off. Yummy recipes, and that carrot cake makes me want some of it.

It is a great thing for kids to grow up in a stable neighborhood having longtime friends. Both our adult kids still hang out with many of their childhood friends and now their children are playing together.

McVal said...

All that looks delish! The food, not the snake, sickness or power washer!!!!

Julie said...

I want to borrow your daughter. I so miss cooking with Mike. Just maybe he'll cook for me when he's home for those two weeks before his new job starts.
Thanks for sharing. Love it!!
Blessings!!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, what a delightful post filled with fun. I love Kathleen's outfit. The recipes look great and thank you for sharing. Great deal on the power washer. We got one a couple years ago and love it.
Not a fan of the snake either. We had one last week in the pool. It was just a small one, but I don't care what size they are.

So enjoyed my visit. Have a wonderful week.
Many prayers for you my friend. Say hi to your mom.

Hugs, CM

Kris said...

Oh my, everything sounds so good! I love Kathleen's outfit, and seeing her in her chef's toque. She is a great little sous chef, isn't she?
Yummy food!!! Now I want carrot cake!!!
xo Kris

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You are doing your children such a service by letting them help you in the kitchen. Those recipes look wonderful!

Tara said...

You inspire with your clean eating (and are lucky to have a helper I'm sure!) So sorry Jill to read about your heart health... I just know that armed with knowledge, your healthy 'I can do this' attitude, clean eating, and love from your family, you will conquer this challenge. I'll be keeping you in prayer. Blessings, tara

Tara said...

Hi there Jill, not looking for a new post from you just wanted to stop by and say that I'm thinking about you and hoping you're doing well. Hugs, tara