Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring is finally arriving and a health update.

Springtime just has a way of making everything right again. The crisp cool air, the new buds on the trees, daffodils, tulips and one of my favorites the hyacinth. I love walking out in the morning and getting a whiff of the fragrant air. Wanted to take a snapshot of our home before the trees completely fill in and cover us back in privacy. :-) So excited and happy to see green grass again!!


Elvis enjoys sitting in front of the open front door and observing the birds and other happenings in the neighborhood.


Took a walk around my yard to capture the flowers and new buds.



Of course there will soon be mulching to do.... but for now I'm taking in the beauty of the moment.


Kathleen made sure I had some pretty flowers for the kitchen table. Nothing beats picking them right out of your own yard. ;-) Each day she asks to pick one for her teacher and the bus driver, lol. Love how thoughtful she is!


The next tree has "died" several times, but miraculously keeps getting new growth. So Jerry trims off the dead and we let it go and see how it grows each year. Amazing how much strength and willpower a tree possesses.



Our goldfish and Koi have survived the winter and are happily enjoying not having ice in the pond! Still need to keep the netting over them so the Blue Heron doesn't grab more. He struts around on our sidewalk like he owns the place! I used to think it was so neat having him that close....then he ate my fish! :-(



I thought it was a beautiful day to get started on my Project Life scrap booking albums. HSN ( home shopping network) had a great deal on them a couple weeks ago so I ordered two sets. Makes scrap booking a busy life easy to do!

Pictures ready for the albums....


Kathleen's art work to cheer me up.

Sitting here enjoying a frozen Greek yogurt bar for snack, so delicious!!


Kathleen is super excited because her scholastic order of Magic Tree House books came in and she is thrilled to be able to keep reading them in order without having to wait for them at the library. This is a wonderful, educational series from Mary Pope Osbourne, I highly recommend them from late preschool and up. We read them together and then she goes back and reads them again by herself and she is in first grade. So much rich history and more, you can also visit the web site for more resources.


I've been reading through my new Clean Eating magazine for great menu ideas. I love this magazine so much, great healthy recipes, snack ideas and more!


Took a trip to our local produce place and stocked up on healthy foods! We got all this food for $60.00, no way I could have done that in a grocery store!


We got mushrooms, clementines, oranges, apples, pears, 2 heads of lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, blueberries, bananas, strawberries, peppers, broccoli, green and red grapes, celery, green beans, cantaloupe, pineapple, regular potatoes, spinach, carrots and watermelon!! I think I covered it all, lol.

Eating clean is one of the best ways to heal your body and get the nourishment you need. I will be sharing several healthy recipes as I make them.  Eating healthy is even more critical for me right now. I recently found out from my heart doctor that my ejection fraction of my heart (how it works) is only 45-50% and it should not go below 55%. They are not sure what is causing this to happen. But I have just started a beta blocker to try to keep my heart from working so hard. My resting heart rate is between 102-166 beats a minute. ( not a good thing!) The medicine has made me very tired and they are going to be following up to see what needs adjusting and if I need to take more medicines. I am not a fan of medication in any form, but in this case I have no choice, I have to regulate my heart beats. They are erratic and skip beats or run extremely fast (tachacardia) I have always had mitral valve prolapse and have learned to deal with that, but this really has me concerned. I want to be here for my family a long time so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that happens. I'm just glad they caught it before things got worse. I haven't been feeling well for quite some time and as moms tend to do I put myself last. They need me so that has to change. It's why I've always said to embrace every day and count our blessings for we never know what lies ahead. I'll be keeping you posted on this journey of mine.

Hope you are all taking time to enjoy the "little" things in life. Whether it's cold, rainy, snowy, sunny or hot where you are today, whatever challenge you may be facing, enjoy every moment, hug your loved ones tight and know what a gift each day is!

                        "It is surmounting difficulties that makes heroes"  -- Louis Pasture

        "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" --Ralph Waldo Emerson

                    "Tough times never last, tough people do" --Robert Schuller

                                                              Blessings,
                                                                  Jill

18 comments:

Aunt B said...

I've been dealing with heart problems too Jill, and I agree that beta blockers are no fun. I've never been so tired!

Good for you for seeking better health through healthier eating! That's one huge pile of produce. Great buy.

~Niki~ said...

hey jill :) how've you been? love all your home pics! your home is gorgeous!

Camille said...

I popped in here earlier today prior to this update. Thank you for stopping by my place and for letting me know you had put up a new post. I will add your heart issues to my prayer list my friend. So sorry you are having to deal with this...SO scary! Austin's EF was in the teens in the spring...I hear you on the frightening nature of it all. Hang in there! One step at a time.

Love to you!
Camille

Miss Janet said...

Look at that bounty!!

Thank you for visiting my blog.

Blessings to you as well!

Janet

Nonnie said...

Oh my! Such a beautiful home - I wouldn't want to leave it.
I'll be interested in seeing your recipes. All that produce looks so good, but it would spoil here before it was eaten.

Frances said...

Wonderful amount of produce for $60!

Take care of yourself!

Kris said...

Oh my gosh Jill, how scary!!! I hope and pray you can reverse the bad affects of this recent health scare for you!
What a lot of wonderful looking fresh fruit and veg!!
Loved this post....you stay well now, and follow Dr.s Orders!!!
xo Kris

Syrone said...

Beautiful flowers! I love spring because the world just seems to burst with color, fragrances and His creative artistry. It's awesome you've taken to eating clean. I hope you begin feeling better soon!

Wendi said...

Jill,

I am so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hope that with diet and medication you can start feel well again.

Great price on all of that produce!

Enjoy your week!

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I'm sorry to hear about your heart problems. I'm sure your doctors have done this already, but if not, make sure they check your thyroid levels for Graves' Disease (hyperthyroidism). When I had it, my resting heart rate was 120 most of the time.

I take a beta blocker now, not for thyroid or blood pressure issues, but to help lessen the severity and frequency of migraine headaches. They do make me tired, but I find that by spreading them out, taking part of my dose in the morning and part before bed, it makes me less tired during the day.

Hope they find out what's going on and that you feel better soon!

Beloved's Bride said...

OH, Jill so sorry! Scary!

Love all the produce you were able to get for such a great price. It all looks delicious.

I totally agree... reading books in order and not having to wait at the library is absolutely a necessity! ;) Heehee!

Nice to have some spring flowers in bloom huh?!

Sonya Ann said...

Your house is beautiful! And you got an awesome deal with all of the fruits and veg!
Your yard and all of your plants are so far ahead of us. It's still yucky here.
And its scary to find out that your heart isn't up to snuff but I really think that you and your doctor will find a way to get this under control.
Take care of yourself, we all need you!

Nicolle said...

First, I am praying for good health for you. I know you must be anxious but I am so glad that you are getting care and also taking care of yourself. Praying for you!
Love your spring flowers. Everything looks so pretty around your place. You did get a great deal on all of those veggies! Hope you had a great weekend. Keep us posted on your health. Thinking of you.
xo

Sheila said...

Spring is looking good in your neck of the woods. I've been wanting to email you to see how you are doing but I just haven't had a chance. I'm so glad to see a health update for you and I'm glad to see the doctors are working on making you better. I take beta blockers twice a day--not fun but it's necessary. Just spent 5 days in the hospital but I'm doing better since I got out---will be seeing a vascular surgeon next month=( Love seeing how y'all are doing. I'm going to try to keep better updated!! Take care.

Annmarie Pipa said...

wow..your beautiful house and beautiful produce look so lovely!
Hope things are beautiful with your heart too! and they can adjust the meds to improve your EF..modern science is remarkable. good luck with everything join g on..

Julie said...

Oh my dear. I am so glad you are taking care of yourself and all the produce is awesome. I always love all your pictures and thank you for sharing.
Thank you for stopping by. I have an update coming shortly shortly my weekend with Mike. It was totally awesome!!!
Blessings my friend!

Celestina Marie said...

Dear Jill,
My prayers will be lifted for you in the days ahead. I am so sorry to read this but I know with your knowledge and the doctors guide you will do just fine. Like you said, so glad they found this earlier then later. I love your spirt and determination!!

Your home and flowers are gorgeous. Such a wonderful feeling to see the new springtime blooms.
What a great haul on the healthy foods. You did good and everything looks so yummy!!

Wishing you a special week and blessings to you always.
hugs and prayers, CM

Simone said...

Jill, I'm so sorry that I'm just getting on and reading this. I have been having heart problems as you know for over a year. The last three weeks, I have been in and out of the hospital twice. I am on a beta blocker and what seems like 10 billion other pills. It is exhausting!

I'm praying that the doctors are able to get to the bottom of all this and fast so that you can get to feeling better soon. Take good care of yourself. Sending prayers your way.