Thursday, May 16, 2013

Recipes, Spring and what we've been up to Part 1

Weeks are flying by and it's time to update! Jerry's surgery went well and he is recovering nicely. In fact he is on another business trip to San Francisco for a few days, although the plane ride was not in favor of his knee.

I've been making healthier meals found a good one on Pinterest which was a hit with everyone in the house.It's a broccoli & chicken pasta.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground chicken breast
14 1/2 ozs canned Italian style tomatoes, undrained and diced
2 tsps minced garlic
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tbs no salt added tomato paste
1/2 tsp basil
6 oz rotini pasta cooked and drained
1/2 tsp oregano
3 ozs shredded cheddar cheese
10 oz frozen broccoli florets

In a large skillet cook chicken, garlic, and onions until chicken is no longer pink. Mix in basil and oregano


Transfer mixture to crock pot and add broccoli, tomatoes and chicken broth. Mix well and cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Then stir in tomato paste, pasta and cheese cook another 30 mins. Then Enjoy!


Really delicious!

Kathleen was so excited that the author Ted Arnold was coming to her school the other day that she made him a special picture. He told her there is a great chance he will feature it on his website! This is her creation of Fly Guy!



The girls also made a countdown chain for the end of school....of course it's much shorter now! lol


Hayley just finished a book by Jerry Spinelli called Milkweed about the Holocaust, great book for a young reader to help them understand what happened during that time.


How many of you are familiar with the Orange Julius store and drink? We don't have them where I live now but I found a recipe in Pinterest that tastes just like it!


6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
8-9 ice cubes

Combine and blend about 1-2 mins. Says to add ice cubes 1 at a time but I have a Vitamix so I threw them all in. So delicious and so not healthy...but once in awhile it's o.k. :-)

Kathleen had her kitty at the kitchen table the other morning and I thought it was so cute she covered him with a napkin to keep him warm while she was at school.


Oh and I can't forget to share the recipe for orange creamsicle homemade Popsicles, yum!


1 cup orange juice
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium bowl whisk all ingredients together. Pour into Popsicle molds ( I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond and I love them! Very sturdy) Let sit 30-60 mins then add sticks. Freeze at least 4-6 hours until frozen

When ready to serve run a little warm water over them to loosen them up to come out.
Enjoy!


Grabbed a few of my favorite magazines the other day. :-)


Been enjoying the Spring changes in our yard and all the lovely fragrances when walking out the front door.

 Lilacs

Dogwood
Redwood tree my dad got us a couple years ago. It is really doing well...wonder if one day it will be as big as the ones in California? ;-)

Jerry cut the lilacs for me and I put them in a vase, I love their fragrance, it's one of my favorite flowers!


Hayley has been busy crafting and creating. She made a path to go around the Tipi for her American Girls.

Yup all on my formal dining room table...lol but I'm ok with that if it makes her happy. :-)

Jerry wanted to get mowing done before traveling to San Francisco for business and decided to mow at night using his flashlight app on his IPhone, lol. Not the best picture but you can get an idea :-) His poor knee! Can't keep him down for long and with my heart I can't do push mowing.


Both girls were really happy that their Nana and Pop Pop came up for grandparent's day at their school. We got a great picture of Kathleen with them :-)


I have more to post but for some reason blogger loading pictures is taking a ton of time today. So I will catch up more next week from Mother's day. This weekend one of my best friends is getting married and I'm so excited for him. I'll be posting pictures from that next week too! Been crazy busy here but hoping to get caught up on some of my blog reading the next few days. Have a wonderful weekend!!

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"
                                                 -Ella Wheeler Wilcox

                                                                     Blessings,
                                                                          Jill

12 comments:

Wendi said...

I enjoy the smell of lilac also. It is so sad when the blooms fade!

McVal said...

Blogspot has been doing that to me with the photos too. I write the post, add the pictures and while they're adding, which takes a LONG time, I do something else. I wonder if they're running out of space or memory... Oh well. I have noticed that if I shrink the pictures they load quicker.
LOVE Lilacs!!! Can't wait until mine bloom.

Nicolle said...

Blogger has been taking me forever as well, to upload pictures. Hopefully it's just a short lived glitch. I'm glad all is going well in your home. Beautiful pictures of the flowers! I love Kathleen's drawing of Fly Guy. And, Hayley's haircut is adorable on her. Take care sweet friend.
xo

Kris said...

Busy, busy!!! Glad Jerry's knee is better! Loved the Fly Guy!! Hayley's hair is darling!! The recipe looks good! And I love Mother Earth News magazine!!!
Hugs,
Kris

{cindy} said...

all your spring flowers are so beautiful!!

I think riley read that holocaust book too. such a hard subject for kids, helps to have some great book on the topic.

saw some popsicle molds at target! how fun would those be?!:) thanks for the recipes.

actually my pics have been uploading a LOT faster!! weird! I know I changed my blogger format to the one that allows me to reply right to someone's comment in my comment section and that actually made my pics upload at record speed!!! awesome side effect right? hope it gets fixed soon

have a happy day jill

Heather said...

Hi Jill so glad to catch up with you. Anna and I are very behind with letters my apologies we are doing several fairs right now and have the Alpaca shearing coming up !! If you ever want to do a skype let me know Anna and Hayley could chit chat and we could talk healthy food :) If Jerry ever comes more south to San Diego let us know we will pick him up for dinner :) ~Take Care Love Heather

Julie said...

Your flowers are so far ahead of ours but we'll catch up sooner or later. I love all the pictures.
We too use our kitchen table for everything from working on dirtbikes, to crafting and even eating.
Thank you for sharing all your pictures. I love it when you do that.
Glad that Jerry's knee surgery went good and he's up and about doing well.
Take care Jill and have a blessed weekend.

Patti said...

Hayley's new hairstyle sure changes her appearance! It's very pretty!

Obviously, those are your parents, not Jerry's, as I see traces of you in Nanna...she has to be YOUR mom!

I love lilacs too. Sadly, they are around for only such a short period of time; in fact, ours are done for the season now.

Have a great day!

Patti

Tara said...

Hi Jill, What a great picture of Kathleen with your parents... so sweet! So glad that Jerry is up and going and that his surgery went well. It sure does sound busy. I'm counting the days til it calms down here too! :) I love checking into your world! Have a great week. ~tara

Mandisa Chesser said...

Great post, Jill. Your girls are very creative. I took a looooong break from blogging and although I may not have been commenting on your posts, I was certainly reading them! Just FYI, I wrote about you on my blog over the weekend. Since I've gotten back to blogging again, I started a new segment where I showcase blogs every week. Yours was the first one I decided to do! Wishing you many blessings.

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I just Pinned both of the orange recipes...Kat has been wanting to try the Orange Julius at home for a while. :)

Beloved's Bride said...

OH Wow, Jill. You're oldest is looking so mature in these pictures. Are you putting "miracle grow" in her bed? ;) Time sure is flying by!