Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Another new family member...

Hope all my American readers enjoyed a wonderful July 4th! We had a nice day as a family without any set plans, which was relaxing! :-) However we did stop in at a pet store/adoption center where we had gotten Skippy and Owen and Jerry saw and fell in love with an older dog that was there. His name was Dakota, but we renamed him Cooper. We had no intentions of adopting....then they told us since he was 12 years old his adoption fee was free!

His story.... He was in a loving home with 4 other dogs until the man was put in a retirement home and his children were trusted to care for his dogs. They kept the young dogs and sent Cooper to a kill shelter. When the man found out he called the place where we got him to tell them what happened and they agreed to take him and adopt him out. Thank goodness they did! I cannot imagine how someone could be so heartless and cast this sweet dog away!

He is a Border Collie and is housebroken and well trained. We had a long talk with the girls about him being older and not sure how long he had. They agreed he needed a family to love him to the end, so we all agreed. We took our dogs to the store to meet him and they got along great. When we brought him home they also welcomed him. I think being rescues themselves they knew he needed a home :-) Jerry is quite happy and so are we!


He enjoyed walking outside on the leash with us. I was able to get a few pictures of my hostas growing nicely on the hillside.


Jerry worked hard on raised flower beds for us this weekend and put a small wire fence around it to keep the dogs away. However nothing planted yet...it's a little late but we will attempt something!


He also enjoys cooking on Sundays and he treated himself to a new smoker for cooking all kinds of meat. He did a pork and chicken and ribs this weekend and it was delicious! We will be doing meats regularly and using them in our salads, and for sandwiches, etc.


This is my final week of school for my Bachelors of Science Degree in Early Childhood Education/Teaching.
I am so excited to be wrapping this up finally! After 14 years of college, all the moves we did, all the sacrifices I have made...it's going to be worth it. In September I am looking to start my Masters degree. :-)

"You are educated. Your certification is your degree. You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. Let me ask you to think of it as your ticket to change the world" --Tom Brokaw

Blessings,
Jill

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Bless y'all for adopting Cooper. I just don't understand some people. I've been keeping up with you on facebook. Congrats on your final week of school. Your girls sure are growing. Love seeing Kathleen's recital pictures. Hope your health is improving. Take care. Sheila

Patti said...

Cooper is adorable! I'm so glad he found his way to your loving home instead of having to be put down.

I'm glad you are aware that since he is older, his time with you could be fleeting. Not to be a downer, but I am currently walking that path. We have a beagle who just turned 15, and the past 2 years have been difficult, especially the last 6 months. Older dogs can be very hard on the heart, as you may continually be told (as we were told in December) that it is time to say goodbye. Just letting you know that you have someone who understands the unique challenges of an older dog.

Love and hugs,
Patti

Along A Widowed Road said...

Very cool smoking the meat idea. Does it just taste delicious? Looks like it.

Jill I went back to school the year after Dennis and I were married. I only had 12 transferrable credits. Before I transferred into my upper division units I found out I was pregnant with Savannah.

I had only 3 classes left before finding out Dennis was sick with the cancer.

He wanted me to finish and I did the year after he died. I graduated in June 2008 with a degree in Business Management. It was a personal goal I wanted to finish.

Yippee for you to stay on course and track before transitioning to the Master's Program.

You can do it.

Viola

Kris said...

How wonderful for Cooper to have found you, and you to have found Cooper! He is so pretty. And Jerry looks so happy!!
His smoked meats look fabulous too! And congratulations to you!!!! All of that hard work....so great!! Be proud!
xo Kris

Nicolle said...

You guys are the sweetest for taking Cooper in, and it does break my heart that someone would send a dog to a kill shelter. Bless your hearts for taking care of him like you are doing! Reading this makes me kind of weepy, in a good way.
Jerry's new smoker is AWESOME!
Congrats on school. That is a huge accomplishment. You should be proud.
xo

Sonya Ann said...

YOur family is so impressive. You are teaching your children wonderful things.

Julie said...

I think it is so awesome for you to adopt Cooper. He will be such a great addition to your family. And a little word of advice with a collie, even an older one. They like things to do, keep them busy. And they live for quite some time so you could have time for a long time to come.
Congrats on your school and good luck with the Masters. You are an amazing woman and mother.
By the way, I want one of those chickens, YUMMY!!! I'll have fresh chicken I can get and you can cook, if you lived 1000 miles closer. :o)
Blessings my friend.

Heather said...

Congratulations on your schooling! and degree!! and I am so happy the pup is with you. I know life can get so crazy but it breaks my heart the way people just dump there animals. ~He will have a great home with comfort and peace to spend the rest of his days Love Heather

Beloved's Bride said...

Wow. Cooper has a sweet face! I am glad you adopted him. The story made me sad even though it has a good ending.

Simone Dankenbring said...

Cooper is adorable. He needed a special family and you all are IT. I hope that he lives for many, many more years.

Kerry said...

What a beautiful quote!! Congrats to you Jill :)
You guys are awesome for giving this lovely old dog a home for the rest of his days. It just confirms your kind heartedness which I could already see from your lives in pictures on this blog. Cooper is one lucky Border Collie with a brand new loving family in you all :)

A Primitive Homestead said...

Thank you Jill for stopping by & leaving your thoughtful kind words. It has been a hard painful year. Congrats! Wonderful furthering your education. Cooper is a beautiful dog. So good your family could adopt & save him. Your food looks so good. Blessings!
Lara

Tara said...

Awwwww..... Cooper is oh so cute and you are just an awesome family for caring and loving so much! I'm sure you'll have many happy years with this furry blessing in your home! Happy summer to you and to your sweet girls! Jill, I soooo wanted to stop by and meet you when Scott and I went to Philly but we were short on time and just couldn't make it fit. Believe me, I did have the map open on the computer and we sat down and looked at how far you'd be on the way home. :( Next time for sure. Oh of these days I just can't wait to meet you all! Congratulations on you your last class and starting your Maters! Wowza!!! Hope you're able to fit in some lazy days this summer before that Masters begins! How are you feeling lately? Been in my thoughts... tara

Nonnie said...

I don't know how I missed seeing this post. What a pretty dog and I'm so thankful that he has a family like you to love him. I love it that you had the talk with your daughters about his being old. What a sensitive thing to do. Congratulations on your accomplishments. And all the food looks so delicious.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

congratulations on both the new dog (he's adorable, I love border collies) AND your bachelor's degree! Keep up the good work, friend!