Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Favorite Christmas Tradition

Having my two girls to share my holidays with has been on of my biggest blessings and joys in my life. I've always wanted to be a mom... nothing makes me happier than raising my girls and being there for them. I have so many wonderful Christmas memories that choosing only one is a challenge. So I may throughout the next month and a half be sharing more special moments.  I would like to share one that is close to my heart and that makes me so proud is our Christmas Eve tradition of reading The Night Before Christmas. This photo was from last Christmas when Hayley was 12 and Kathleen was 8. :-)

I come from a family of passionate readers, we can always be found with a book in our hands...Reading The Night Before Christmas was something I enjoyed with my parents and my sister as a child. I have carried on that tradition by reading the story to Hayley every year since she was an infant. As she grew and learned to read, she took over my reading to her and Kathleen and began to read to all of us. This tradition now carries on, as Kathleen has learned to read as well and now she is our reader on Christmas Eve. I love hearing how they recite the story, the animation in their voices and the excitement in their eyes as they create an amazing storytelling experience! The fact they have that gift of knowing how to read and reading well. I hope it will be a tradition they carry on to their children to treasure as well.

From now throughout Christmas I'll be sharing tips, websites, crafts, recipes and more to help make your holidays be the best they can be! Today a new site I have learned about that has whimsical and beautifully handcrafted items and a variety of Christmas ornaments to choose from is PatienceBrewster Check out all her amazing items on her website and perhaps you will find that special gift for someone on your list this year. :-)

"It's true, Christmas can feel like a lot of work, particularly for mothers. But when you look back on all the Christmases in your life, you'll find you've created family traditions and lasting memories. Those memories, good and bad, are really what help to keep a family together over a long haul"          - Caroline Kennedy

"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas"  Calvin Coolidge

                                                           Many Blessings,
                                                                     Jill


5 comments:

Camille said...

What a lovely tradition, Jill. I am sure your girls will have many happy memories to take with them into their own families one day. How quickly they grow up! Hugs to you! Camille

McVal said...

I love this time of year too!!! There is ALWAYS too much going on, but it's the lulls I live for when we can relax and enjoy the whole atmosphere. It's making time for the little things.

~ Noelle said...

What a great tradition! Might need to pick that one up.
We normally make cookies and then I get a group picture of the boys in their pj's (they get a new set for Christmas eve)

Sonya Ann said...

I love this tradition. I love our Christmas day tradition, we get Chinese take out and watch movies all day. We just do nothing. Its my favorite day of the year.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

We love this tradition, too. It started with my mom. We try to recite it, too. Our probably is we are getting too many traditions, LOL. Great problem to have though ;) Thanks for the well wishes for our growing family. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!