Friday, April 24, 2015

Chicks get a new pen to explore!




Our little chicks have been quite a delight! When we bought this container to get started, it was perfect as they were so small! Now they were getting to the point of needing more room; so Jerry built a new little pen for them in the garage. I have to say as attached as I am to them, I'm glad to have them out of my living room as the dust was everywhere!




As we were moving them out, we let Elvis meet them. He was just curious and did really well with them. They just sat there and let him, lol.



We used some moving blankets that we had to cover the new pen as it helped to keep the heat in. We also have the heat lamp on since it's not as warm just yet outside. Good thing because yesterday we had snow!! (April 23rd)


Jerry used 2 x 4's to make the pen and attached chicken wire to it. Then we turned the metal tub sideways that they were in previously for extra shelter and comfort. We put wood chips on the bottom of the pen.



They were happy to have more room to move around and I am convinced they are getting bigger and bigger every day! ;-)


They are such sweethearts and so very curious about their surroundings! I talk to them and we hold them every day.


It's funny, I never thought I would have chickens! ;-) But I am enjoying the process of raising them.








This one is one of my favorites, she's a little different color than the others and so very sweet!


Jerry made a door on top for easy access for cleaning the pen and feeding them. My friend's husband Sam gave him a hand but sadly I lost all the pictures of the process. :-( Other pictures too, so not sure what happened.







Jerry put on a simple door hook to hold the top up when we need to get in there. He just attached it to the wall in the garage and top of door on pen. He has a variety of odds and ends in his tool boxes. Always says to me that you never know when you might need something.....





This is my girl that is so tame! Just love her!!




She just curls up contently right with you...


This is another little girl....a little feistier! LOL Well I can say we hope they are all hens and no roosters!!!








We keep the heat lamp on all the time and we use a thermometer still to regulate the heat. So far they are doing really well! It gives them a lot more room to move around.


Good morning girls!! :-) I love calling to them and they all run out towards my voice.



We open the side door in the garage while we are there to supervise and they like to look out and watch the dogs and look out into the yard. They are very curious and observant!


In about another month or so as it gets warmer they will be heading out to the new chicken coop and run :-) Jerry is also building that soon and I will post more as we get it started.

Ending with a few quotes to enjoy! Have a fabulous week and enjoy the warmer weather!! Spring is finally here!

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us"  Joseph Campbell

"Your big opportunity may be right where you are now"  Napoleon Hill

                                                                   Blessings,
                                                                        Jill

11 comments:

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jill, What fun raising the sweet little chicks. Love the little garage coop before the outdoor coop. Great job your hubby did building this. Your pics are great and too bad you lost a few in the process. They look like they are getting big. I bet you see their growth each new day. How fun for the girls to watch and learn too.
Have fun and looking forward to seeing more as the process goes along.
Thanks for stopping by too and your sweet comment. Have a great weekend.
Hugs and Blessings, CM

Jboo said...

Wow -- those are really cool! I thought they looked tiny until I saw the one he was holding! Am sure they are growing and it's so fun to watch. Hope you have a great weekend! Praying for warm weather for you! :)

Billie Jo said...

Looking great Jill!!!!
Hope it warms up soon!!!!
Have a greAt weekend!

Sonya Ann said...

You are such a good chick mama! I can't wait to see what the pen outside looks like. Will it be a designer one like you see on Pinterest?

Gina said...

Jill, what a delight to see your little chicks. I am so hoping to raise chickens next year. There is too much to do to try this year. I have always wanted to have my own. I look forward to watching yours grow and learning how to take care of them! {{HUGS}}

Hena Tayeb said...

that is so cool

Debby said...

Hi. Thank you for stopping by Cozy Blanket. Thank you for your concern for our DIL> She is home now but with restrictions for the next 6 months. She has little girls that 12 9 and 11.
Looking t your pictures, I thought it looked like you could be from Ohio, where I am from. Then I saw the Cedar Point event on your side bar. Love your chickens and your little girl's smile. I taught Early Childhood for many years.

rivulet said...

What a fun adventure!

I really like that second quote a lot. I think it's very VERY true!

Julie said...

Have the girls pick them some grass. They will love that.
Baby chicks are awesome. We haven't gotten ours yet but maybe next week. It's still a bit to cold here even with the brooder box in the wood shed. They'd be to little for outside.
Now if you plan on letting the chicks set you'll need a rooster for his duties to the baby making but if you just want eggs enjoy the girls.
Blessings Jill.

Camille said...

WOW!! You are on a big adventure!! Won't it be wonderful to have fresh eggs??!! SO happy for you. Hugs, Camille

Ellie said...

This is great, Jill! We are getting 6 chicks today ( they are meat chickens....) and then 6 laying hens on may 26th. Our chicken coop will be built soon hopefully. Thanks for sharing your chicken journey, I find it so helpful!