Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Catching up

I've been so sick the past couple of weeks I haven't felt like doing anything. Coughing has been keeping me up at night and I have gotten much sleep at al, nor had a voice.  I thought today I'd do a quick post... miss catching up with everyone so I will be visiting blogs over the next few days :-)

Kathleen has been having a great time reading to the chickens and taking care of them. They have been a wonderful addition to our family. They are so curious and have so much personality!



Hayley is not too happy I took this picture...lol, but she has been a real help around our little homestead! I'm proud of both my girls and how hard they work and take pride in what we have.


Elvis is enjoying his new bed at the top of the stairs. He likes to be able to keep an eye on everything going on ;-) In the morning he meows at the first person up to make sure they don't forget to give him his treats.


We finally got around to spiffing up the lights on our front porch. The one on the right is the before.... Jerry removed the glass and spray painted it black; it really makes a big difference out front and saves money on new lights :-)


Kathleen lost another tooth and made a sign for the tooth fairy along with a nice letter.


We have wild bunnies enjoying our yard! Momma and babies we see quite frequently. Now if we could just keep them out of our garden!






Kathleen had won a scholarship at school for a free week of nature camp. This is her all ready for her first day! Back pack full... they waded through ponds and everything.




Last time these were clean for the week! LOL



This was the first week I was sick so after I picked her up we went to Rite Aid for my medicines. She was covered in mud, but absolutely loved it!


Jerry built me a really nice stand to put my herbs on, they are doing really well and make a great addition to my cooking :-) Nothing like picking your own fresh ingredients right from your front porch.


My clematis has bloomed beautifully with such a rich purple color! However we will need to build a new trellis for next season as it has broken this one from all the weight.



                                               My beautiful girls :-)




Kathleen's sunflower is still doing well and getting quite tall!


Pears are starting to develop on our trees. Last year we made pear sauce with them and it was so good!


I am so happy that I have several hummingbirds enjoying the feeders this year. I change out their feed every week. ( 4 cups water, 1 cup sugar dissolved in boiling water, no dye!)  It is so important to change it regularly and keep the feeders clean to keep the hummingbirds from getting sick. We found this strawberry hummingbird feeder at a yard sale for a quarter and I cleaned it all up. It has been their favorite one :-) These pictures I took through my kitchen window with my zoom lens, so not the best quality... but happy to get them nonetheless. Those little birds are so fast!






Some yummy vegetable soup I made one rainy day for lunch, Hayley loved it so there were no leftovers, lol.


Also made these simple sandwiches to go with it. Just cut an English muffin in half. Cut up a nice ripe, juicy tomato and lay it on each side, sprinkle with 1/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese and heat in oven until cheese is melted at 350 degrees. So delicious and low in calories. In weight watcher points sandwiches are 3 points and soup is free! :-)


We have been having rain every day and it's getting old.... however did create a cool mist I took a few pictures of in our backyard.




All summer I like to plan learning and crafts, etc. with the girls. Being so sick has halted a lot of it so far... but one day I did manage to do this project with them. It's called crazy hair and is inspired by the artist Al Hirschfeld, who does black and white caricatures with exaggerated lines. He also is known to hide his daughter Nina's name in every picture. His work has been featured in several museums such as Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C., and Museum of Modern Art in New York. There is a lot of information on the internet as well as his pictures and I would suggest putting his name in Google to find a wealth of knowledge about him. There are also videos on PBS that are quite interesting about his life. Enjoy!

So this is Kathleen's drawing of crazy hair.... she added color to hers and it turned out great!


Hayley added her artistic flair to hers and subtle color, also did a great job!


And last is mine, and no pictures of me as bad as I have been feeling, lol. Didn't have the energy to add color to mine, but it sure took us some time to finish them. That's the great thing about art, everyone interprets it differently and there is no right or wrong way.


                  "Artists are just children who refuse to put down their crayons" Al Hirschfeld

                                                                      Blessings,
                                                                           Jill

18 comments:

Nonnie said...

I am so happy to see you back again and your lovely daughters! I'm glad you are doing better. Your photos are so beautiful. Would love to see such sights every day.

I have crazy hair because of the rain and humidity we've had!

~ Noelle said...

Hope you are feeling better. I think the crazy hair is awesome.

chateau chic said...

Looks like your family has been very busy in spite of your illness!
Hope you're feeling better soon,
Mary Alice

Carrie B. said...

So happy you're doing a little better and to get a nice catch up! Love seeing your Girls and all they're up too. And you know I love your chickens!!

Your hubby did a great job on those lights and I love the set up you have for your herbs - perfect!

All of your food looks so yummy. I love the artwork too. How adorable that you wrote "mommy" in yours. Love love love!!

Take lots of extra vitamin C boost and feel better soon!!
xoxo

Vee said...

How awful to have been so ill. Summertime should mean a moratorium on such things. We've been getting lots of rain, too. It is pouring right now. Love the crazy hair! I see you and your youngest think similarly about design anyway. Your eldest looks as if she has intriguing things tucked into her hair. Have a wonderful Independence Day!

Sonya Ann said...

Feel better. I sick of being sick too.
The girls are wonderful and I'm impressed by their work ethics around the house and with their school work.
We have a bunny here too. They are so adorable, its hard not to stare at them the entire time they are here.

Gina said...

LOVE the crazy hair pictures! Wow!

Though you have had so much rain, the mist is heavenly! And you captured its beauty. Thank you for sharing with us!

Jessy Skehan said...

Oh, no! Nothing worse than a summer virus, huh? Ugh. I hope you're 100% ASAP! Forget dogs to read too! Chickens are better! LOL I photos of my youngest son reading to our hens on the couch in the livingroom. I wish I could find it easily. Too funny as the hen really looked like she was looking at the pages AND listening to him. Super patient! Aw! Spoiled kitty! Treats? Cute bunnies! Clementis is such a pretty climbing plant. Love the purple! You actually caught a hummingbird in a photo! They're so quick! Those hair drawing are quick detailed and interesting! Good going girls!

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that you will be much better very soon. Good to catch up on your news in the meantime though. xx

Billie Jo said...

Oh! I hope and pray you are feeling better!!!!
I've missed visiting with you. : )
Hope you have a wonderful, healthy Fourth of July!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jill, I am so sorry to hear you've been so sick. I know all the coughing is really tiring and just zaps your energy. My son has the same thing right now and finally had to go to the doctor. He is doing better now on an antibiotic to fight the infection in his lungs.

Everything around your home is beautiful. The yard, your flowers, the girls and love your coach lights makeover.
Such sweet bunnies making a home in your yard too.

Great project you and the girls worked on. Love all three. Looks like you are all enjoying a great summer. Hope you start to feel better soon. Prayers for you and thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. So nice to catch up with you tonight. Hellos to your mom.
xoxo

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

Wow, I love the photos of your backyard! So beautiful!
Hope you feel better soon.

Camille said...

Your crazy hair pictures are fun. Hummingbirds are so very beautiful!! You did a great job on those light fixtures...or, should I say Jerry did a great job? :) SO sorry you have been so sick!! Not fun at all. I trust you are all better now and that you can enjoy the day with your family today. Hugs, Camille

Jboo said...

So sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope you are feeling lots better very soon! That crazy hair is wild and you all are so talented! LOVE your art!! Hummingbirds are gorgeous! You really have the sweetest family. Feel better!

Jboo said...

So sorry to hear you've been ill. Those hummingbirds are so pretty! Love that hair art -- you all are seriously talented! Feel better soon!

Kerri said...

Glad you are feeling better Jill! Your yard looks amazing...you guys must be busy keeping up with it, your garden and your chickens! I've been wanting to paint our outside lights too....I'm just worried about my husband hooking them back up correctly! :) LOVE Your artwork....your girls must get their creativity from you!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Aww, it looks so green there! It is hot and dry in Eastern Oregon and hard to get anything to grow or stay green. Love your coop! I wrote about our chicken disaster on my last blog post. Looks like Kathleen had a great time at camp. I think it is great the way your kids are helping around your homestead. So important! Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Jackie

aimee said...

Sorry to hear you've been so sick! Loved the pic of Elvis the cat all curled up in his bed:) The repainted light fixture looks great! We've been roasting over here to your west and that picture of cool mist looks delightful and so peaceful! Fortunately our lovely, normal (aka cooler)Pacific NW summer weather kicked in tonight--yea! Great pix of the kids!
Blessings, Aimee