Wednesday, July 22, 2015

In the Garden

Busy summer in full swing, lots to blog about but seem to be short on time keeping up with everything, I'm sure you all can relate. :-)

If you look closely next to Kathleen you will see very tall stalks of overgrown Asparagus. Soon to be cut down and getting it ready for harvest next year. We have quite a freezer full of it for Winter!


Cabbage....which beetles I'm sure are enjoying as we've been pulling them off the blackberries and roses. Jerry dropped a few beetles in for the chickens...  ;-)


We have all kinds of pumpkins, gourds, squash, etc. popping up in the garden and some we didn't intentionally plant! LOL





Our plums are forming nicely, you can just see them in the branches above Kathleen's head.


She has so much enthusiasm for the garden and all the things growing in our own backyard!





This pumpkin has tripled it's size since I've taken this photo.


Queen Ann's Lace as I remember this fondly from my childhood... always thought it was so pretty.


Our tomato plants have really taken off... weeds too... That's another treat the chickens like when we give them fresh weeds from the garden. :-) Works for me!


Captured this moment of Jerry showing Kathleen things in the garden.




Lowes had pepper plants on clearance for $7.88, so we picked it up, already quite a few peppers on it!


Kathleen caught a good picture of this little guy....


Loving all my lilies....


Hostas looking good too. Our holly hedge really took a hard hit this winter. We are hoping it comes back. There is green at the bottom giving us hope.... we may need to cut it down to that point. Also have added fertilizer to it.



Kathleen's sunflower still doing awesome!


Loving my Rose of Sharon blooms and the hummingbirds and bumblebees are too!!


One of the other projects on our list was spiffing up our shed. These are before pictures; the paint was peeling bad and some of the wood was starting to rot...


We've been waiting for the rain to let up to actually get it scraped down and repainted.


I took these back in April before we built the chicken coop.




These are the after pictures, it looks so much better! There are baby birds in the bird houses so the mom wasn't too happy with us while the work was being done. Jerry and Hayley and Kathleen worked on the painting.


After it was painted he was able to secure the trellis he made for me.









Just a few more random pictures around the yard.








                                                                    Blessings,
                                                                          Jill

11 comments:

Wendi said...

Your garden is looking great! Looks like you will have lots of goodies to store up for winter.

Vee said...

Your daughter makes a great arrow! =D The garden is growing beautifully and your flower photos are lovely. I really like the fresh paint on your garden shed...looks so spiffy and new. Lovely trellis. My hubby made me three one year, but now that the house and garage have new siding, he won't put them back up. Wah!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jill, your garden is amazing. I love it and all your beautiful blooms are doing so well. Love the shed and the repaint looks so good. You all have done such a wonderful job in your new place there in Ohio. Such a great family experience for the girls. Love the pick of your plum tree. We had plum trees when we lived in Indiana and I made canned jam and jelly from the many plums we had. It was great for gifts and throughout the year.
Love your pics and all the summer fun you are having.
Thanks for stopping by.
Enjoy the last of July!!
Hugs,cm

~ Noelle said...

So jealous of your garden. We wanted to do one, but then our yard was just hard dirt...
Maybe next year

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

What a lovely home you have! Your garden looks great and every single one of the flowers in your yard is beautiful! Always enjoy your photos. Glad you are enjoying your summer!

aimee said...

Your garden looks great Jill! Pretty flowers! I love the Rose of Sharon and always enjoy summer sunflowers.
Blessings, Aimee
PS: I liked your idea of keeping a pair of tennis shoes and socks in the car. Now if I can just remember to put them in there tomorrow:)

Carrie B. said...

OH my Jill!! It's looking awfully wonderful around there! I can't believe how huge some of those veggies are already. And those flowers - the color of that lily!! ::sigh:: breathtaking.

And great job on that shed - it looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing and you sure have fully planted the bug for me to want a bigger garden! xoxo

Amy at love made my home said...

Your garden looks so beautiful!!!! The hostas and daylilies by the path are beautiful! You are going to be set for pumpkins for Halloween aren't you! So many and they are so big already!! How wonderful! xx

Sonya Ann said...

I feel like you do so much to say and no time to say it. I keep finding things that I want to post about and then 12 more things pop up and I don't have time to post.
Everything looks so wonderful at your house.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. I always enjoy seeing the gardens of other bloggers, your veggie plot is huge and should supply a bountiful harvest.

rivulet said...

Your garden looks AWESOME! I loved seeing all the pictures. Have you looked up beetle traps for those little buggers? I have yet to set one up but they are going at my roses now too. I saw one where you just set a light above a bucket of water, with a piece cardboard between the light and bucket, so that the beetles fly to the light, hit the cardboard and then fall into the bucket (at night) and in the morning you can dump them out in the chicken coop for the chickens to gobble up. I don't have any chickens but I've still been meaning to rig a trap to see how many I can catch.