Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Homeschool: A New Adventure

This year is exciting for our family when it comes to the education of our youngest. I've wanted to home school for quite awhile but we finally decided this year to take the plunge. I wanted Hayley to join this journey, but she starts high school this year and wants to give it a try. Kathleen however is all about homeschooling and this past Monday (17th) we began that journey starting in 4th grade.






She has been so excited and we treated the first day just as special as we have with public schools before. All dressed up ready to start with several pictures of the day.



I turned my den into the home school room, still my den but it is a place to store materials and have some privacy to learn.


Of course we had to take a picture at her new play house :-)


Each year we get the girls a little something special for their first day.


I also make them a special breakfast.


Kathleen is a picky eater and eats little amounts at a time, so I baked her chocolate chip muffins with fresh strawberries and tea for her breakfast. Using one of my favorite tea cups and saucers. :-)


We bought her a Panda 3 ring binder with a pack of plastic page covers to start a scrapbook for the fourth grade. I also printed out some pages asking her questions about herself, her goals, etc. for the upcoming school year. We bought her Chips Ahoy for her snacks (her favorite) and Minion "eye" pads for taking notes. ;-) A card that we always write encouraging words from all of us too.


She sure loves tea and our tea parties :-) I will have to do them more regularly again.


Ready to start our first lessons for the day!


Tuesday came the excitement of "Mom can I do school in my PJ's?" So of course I said yes, lol. Little did we know we'd have a devoted follower during our lessons.... our cat Elvis was quite intrigued, lol.


He followed her everywhere in the room. :-) He's always so curious and so loving!


One of her art assignments this week was to do a self portrait. I think she did an awesome job!!


The night before we started I tried to get some decent pictures of the room. I painted it a light sage color, the pictures don't really capture the true color though. I organized all our learning materials, reward stickers, art supplies and more.


I have encouraging messages around the room and the red thing on the wall with the clips is for holding her art work and other important papers she does. :-) Of course items for my den/ scrap booking are on the shelves as well.





It's great having the closet, I put shelves in there also and it's wonderful to store everything away.


I started her binder to keep track of passwords, subjects etc. The book with her picture is the one I ordered from Minted to keep track of her assignments, it's a day book with calendars, to-do lists, etc. I also found a cute cat picture and printed it for her to put on her computer.

So far, so good the last couple days, will post more as we move along and will include more activities of my own as well. We have been busy with some face to face meetings and assessments. We are doing a charter homeschool, but I am adding my own things to it as well. Loving this time with my girl. Hayley starts high school the 31st. So much going on here and I still have prior blog posts to get posted soon. Just wanted to catch up a little!




                                                                            Blessings,
                                                                                  Jill

15 comments:

rivulet said...

I LOVE her self portrait!!! So adorable.

I'm going to be homeschooling too. You sound really excited about it. It looks like it's going great so far, Yay! Great school room too! I'm still trying to figure out where in our home I'm going to devote to school stuff but I've got a little while still :)

Stephanie said...

Oh, what an exciting time for you and your precious daughter! I was homeschooled from 3rd grade until I graduated high school and now I am homeschooling my little one. Such sweet memories will be made during this time. Enjoy, dear Jill! Hugs to you!

Wendi said...

Yay for your new adventure! Have fun and enjoy your time together.

Carrie B. said...

Oh how exciting! I bet you'll both have a wonderful time on this new journey. You have prepared beautifully and I love how you have the room all set up and organized!
Prayers and blessings to both Gals for a fun and wonderfully productive school year ahead! And especially to new teacher Mom! ;)
xoxo

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Sounds like an exciting adventure for both of you! I love how organized everything is. So nice to be able to spend this special time together. It's exciting for your older daughter, too, just starting high school. Such sweet photos :) xo Karen

Nonnie said...

What wonderful times you will have! An organized and loving teacher coupled with an enthusiastic and loving student look like a recipe for success!

Julie said...

Sounds exciting and awesome. I always wanted to home school Mike but being a single child and also doing daycare at the same time public school worked best for us.
I love your set up and having a room to go to school in. It will be wonderful.
Have a great weekend. Blessings!

Kerri said...

How exciting! I wish both your girls a wonderful school year...and you too mom!

Tara said...

Congratulations to you and your whole family with that big decision! I'm looking forward to hearing about it as the year goes on! Enjoy 4th grade!

Billie Jo said...

YAY!!!!!!
So happy for you!!!!
Everything looks wonderful...
Can't wait to follow along! : )

Kris said...

Oh I just love your girls. I hope both Kathleen and Hayley have a super year!
I am still thinking on how I could do an egg apron.
xo Kris

Sonya Ann said...

I think that it is wonderful that you are homeschooling and that you are letting Hayley make her own choices about high school. You really are a wonderful mom!!!! They are going to look back when they are grown and know that you gave them your all.

Camille said...

WOW!!! I had no idea that you were contemplating homeschool!! I am sure you will enjoy it so much! Hugs, Camille

Jennifer said...

Welcome to the world of homeschooling! It is quite a journey, but it is certainly a rewarding one. I am in my 12th year of homeschooling (we started when my oldest was 4) and now I have one in 10th, 8th, and a 4th grader! Enjoy the ride!

~ Noelle said...

So happy for yall. Good luck on this new journey