Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Fall Essentials



It's that time of year I love so much... where the air becomes so crisp and fresh and the slight cold sends chills enough for warm cozy sweaters, warm boots, and nights by the campfire roasting up some smores and sharing stories around the fire with family and friends.





Nothing like the beautiful leaves changing so many bright and brilliant colors. A peacefulness every where you walk....



One of my favorite fall essentials is a warm, fall, fleece blanket that I bring out. This year Kathleen is already enjoying curling up in it all snugly and reading her books.


I also love the fall, where our home is slightly cooler and at night it is so nice curling up into fresh, warm, luxurious bed sheets; just makes a long full day complete. Like this comfy Venice sheet set from Parachute. It looks like it would be a welcoming addition to any bedroom. I also love that this bedding company gives back to a good cause, with purchase they will donate to Nothing But Nets organization.

      **Photo credit from Parachute website**

Another fall essential is warm, delicious drinks of all kinds! I was going to feature one of my favorite teas for the fall weather, but when we were out at Bob Evans for lunch the other day, Kathleen ordered hot cocoa. Of course it had a big mound of delicious whipped cream, but she ate it too quickly, lol. A large favorite mug filled with tasty, warm goodness, whether it's tea, hot cocoa, coffee or cider..... it says fall to me.


Essential fall decorating with more gourds, these ended up in our mini bird bath on the porch. :-)


I absolutely love birds and finding different ways to attract all kinds to our back yard. One of my favorite magazines with a lot of great information is Birds and Blooms. This is the time of year we are cleaning their feeders, the bird baths and getting ready for the winter time.


I also love the beauty of mums to enjoy through the fall season, these are already blooming brightly in my front yard.


   Another fall essential is pumpkins and we have plenty from our garden :-) Such a blessing we don't have to buy them this year. So we will have pumpkin decorating and pumpkin goodies.




I love candles every day of the year, but a warm glow on a cool autumn night with a delicious pumpkin fragrance makes everything just right. This candle is amazing! We bought it a couple years ago at a craft fair and the people who made them were going out of business. We bought a bunch of their items and sad we won't be able to get them anymore.


And of course we can't forget the warm soups and stews and crock pot meals. :-) I always seem to remember a picture AFTER we all have eaten, lol. So here's what's left for Jerry's lunch and the recipe is below.

Slow Cooker Chicken Stew

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup celery chopped
1 onion chopped
8 oz. mushrooms
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, thyme, oregano,marjoram, and basil.
4 cups water, 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chop chicken, carrots, potatoes, celery and onion. Place in crock pot. Pour mushrooms on top. Sprinkle on seasonings, pour in water and lemon juice. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Enjoy!



                                                                       Blessings,
                                                                             Jill

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Hi Jill- finally back to blogging and visiting here. The BEST fall decoration is that little redheaded girl of yours with the cocoa in front of her!;>) xo Diana

Vintage Girl 901 said...

Everything looks yummy. I love all of your snippets of Fall. It's my favorite time of year. It to me is the most wonderful time of the year. The sights and smells and feels give me a peaceful feelings of tranquility. I love the pumpkins lined on the stone and the pumpkins in the wheelbarrow. My favorite is that cute little pumpkin you call your own. Your hearth is beautiful. I just don't know of anything that I don't like about your post. So sweet! I'm glad I made my way over to visit.

~ Noelle said...

Lol, funny you post that chicken meal, as that is why we are having this weekend :)
Love the cooler weather!!!

~ Noelle said...

Lol, funny you post that chicken meal, as that is why we are having this weekend :)
Love the cooler weather!!!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jill, so fun to catch up with you and see all the wonderful fall style going on at your house. Love the pumpkins from your garden. What a great crop!! Sweet Kathleen is precious!! Love seeing Hayley in the doe makeup.
Jill you are so pretty in your new little pic. Love your hair cut.
Enjoy the fall season. Hugs and Blessings, cm

Katie Clooney said...

Hi Jill... your beautiful Kathleen reminds me so much of my daughter's best friend in grade school, Liza. Your house looks festive and that soup looks right up my alley. Great blog. I will definitely be back and thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend!

Amy at love made my home said...

It sounds as though you really enjoy autumn and that you are certainly getting into the spirit of the season! xx

Linda said...

I am in awe of all your homegrown pumpkins! What a beautiful post! It's 60 degrees here in North Texas this morning and to quote my favorite weatherman from years ago, "this is what passes as Fall in Texas!"
I am intrigued by your bird magazine! Back when I was homeschooling, we were registered as a back yard habitat. I'm not a photographer nor am I a real student but Louis Dean and I love to listen and watch the birds. I'm going to look into this publication. We are fortunate to live right in the migration path and since we have such mild winters, many birds linger.
Jill, I am enjoying getting to know you and your sweet girl! Glad we met in the World of Blog!

Sonya Ann said...

I think I found diner for tomorrow!!!! Thank you!!!!