Friday, October 16, 2015

A "Home" Away From Home: Having House Guests

For many people this is the perfect time of year to think about where to put their house guests or otherwise known as relative storage for the holidays. :-) For our family; house guests are pretty regular throughout the year as we have moved away from family and friends so many times for Jerry's job. In each house the rooms need careful consideration for the comfort of our guests, which for us, whether related or not, we consider them family :-)

In this particular home we purchased about a year ago we have two rooms on the main level; not sure what the previous owners used it for, perhaps a den or a formal family room. My mom has difficulty climbing stairs so we decided to turn one of these rooms into our guest room. We used a tension rod and hung a curtain on one small doorway to add privacy and the other doorway, which is larger and goes into the other living room, we added in accordion doors that fold back when not in use.

Our guest room furniture is an antique Mahogany set that we bought when we first got married 21 years ago. We added my old toy chest at the base of the bed as extra storage for guest's bags, etc. when they come to visit.



On the night stand I always include bottled water for our guests in case they want a drink though the night or at other times. I enjoy antiques and I include different items in the guest room to make it feel as welcoming as possible, with a little touch of history.


In one corner of the room we placed a chair and small table near the window so guests can read and unwind or just sit and relax and check their social media sites ;-)



I found an antique school chair that I love, and added that to the room to have an extra place for our guests to do paperwork or for working on their laptops they may have brought with them. Also under the bedside table I have a basket of magazines for them to read through as usually they are spending a few days with us.


Here is an example of some of the magazines I have in the basket currently, and I do switch them out every so often. Yes we have male visitors as well, but they don't seem to take much time reading when they are here, lol.


We have also always had a TV in our guest rooms for our guests to enjoy and we even have the XBOX hooked up for the kids. :-) Just gives them some private time to relax in the evenings and have down time. We usually try to take our guests different places around the area when they come to visit, so it can be late nights at times.



My aunt gave me this armoire years ago, that has been in the family for generations. I was quite upset that during this past move, having the moving company we did.... there were many scratches and nicks we didn't have in it before. :-(


This comes in handy for our guests to hang up their clothes. I also keep a hamper in there with a plastic bag in case they want to transfer laundry home, but we always offer out our washer and dryer while they are staying with us. I also keep extra blankets and pillows on hand for them to use.


This afghan is very special to me. When I was younger a dear family friend, Mrs. Peterson, who was like a grandmother to me crocheted it for me. The love and work she put into this means so much to me and I like to have it in the guest room to share the love with all those who are dear to me and my family.


Another thing we have always done is our guest rooms is keep a bible in the side drawers next to the bed.


Being in a different location and getting around especially at night can be tricky if you should forget where you are! LOL, so I am sure to provide a night light to help with night time navigation. :-)


In our guest room we also have two dressers that can hold clothing and other belongings of our guests that are staying for an extended amount of time.



A tissue box on the nightstand is another must have for our guests ;-) I also like to decorate for the seasons as well and leave a little gift and note for them for when they arrive.


It is a joy for us to host house guests, especially since our time with so many close to us is limited due to the distance they have to travel to see us. We love making big breakfasts for them in the morning and of course through out their stay making sure they never go hungry. ;-)

Even if you are unable to dedicate an entire room for a guest, there are other options to help make your guests comfortable when they come to visit and one possible solution is a  nice daybed. There are so many great options to choose from to fit your home's needs. Not to mention airbeds have come in handy for us many times. Especially when we have several over night guests at one time. When Hayley turned 10 we had a huge party and must have had about 20 guests at one time that stayed over. Our previous house was larger so we had our guest room, living rooms (2) and the basement filled with house guests!

I'm also sure to have fresh linens on the bed and fresh towels and wash cloths available. I also have a basket full of shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes and toothpastes just in case something is forgotten. :-) Always trying to keep their stay as enjoyable as possible and make it feel like a home away from home.

The important thing to remember is that your relatives and guests are there to spend time with you. No matter how large or small your home may be, as long as it's filled with love you can't go wrong.

"Every house where love abides and friendship is a guest, is surely home, and home, sweet home for there the heart can rest"   Henry Van Dyke


"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can"   John Wesley

"Where we love is home-home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts" Oliver Wendell Holmes

                                                                       Blessings,
                                                                             Jill

6 comments:

Linda said...

I want to come stay at YOUR house!!
We have a guest room and -while it usually houses a set of quadruplets - next month I will be hosting a friend from Finland! I, too, will make it as welcoming as possible and add all the extras you mentioned! Please say a special prayer for my friend. Her name is Jutta and she is very special to me. She comes to the US once a year - in November - to experience SUN since it is dark in Finland for many months. I am honored she chose to come to Texas where I will meet her on the coast and then bring her home with me for Thanksgiving!

Carrie B. said...

How thoughtful Jill. What a lovely room with such special touches! If I were to be your guest you'd have to kick me out. Lol!
You are such a Gal after my own heart & I can tell your family & friends mean everything to you too.
Have a wonderful weekend! Xoxo

Billie Jo said...

Jill, this is lovely!
I would love to be a guest in your home.
Someday, perhaps!

Katie Clooney said...

Oh those lucky guests! Great tips! Have a wonderful weekend.

Barb said...

What a beautiful room, I'm sure your guests feel right at home! Such good advise for making anyone who comes to stay at our homes comfortable.

Tara said...

So we are an airbed guest family... I'd love to have an extra room in our house for guests. Usually when guest comes they take one of the girls room and my girls have a sleepover. I adore your 'moms' room! I'll bet she can't wait to get back there to visit. Such sweet touches for any guest. I think I'll stay awhile!