Sunday, October 25, 2015

Chicken Tortillas and Apple Parsnip Soup and Egg and Crab Bake


Fall is that time of year to bring out all the delicious comfort recipes to enjoy. I love finding new recipes and swapping them with family and friends and of course just enjoying my regular collection and favorites of yummy recipes as well.

I found this quick, easy Chicken Cheese Crisps recipe from the cookbook Robin Takes 5 by Robin Miller from The Food Network. I have always enjoyed her recipes and the great thing about this book is it's recipes with 5 ingredients or less. Each time I visit the library I check out the cookbook aisle for inspiration. I have renewed her book twice so far :-)

Here's the recipe:

8 taco size regular or whole wheat flour tortillas
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken (leftovers, rotisserie, etc)
1 cup prepared salsa
1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese (we used mozzarella)

Coat a grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Arrange 4 tortillas top each with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Combine chicken and salsa in a bowl, then spoon mixture onto cheddar cheese. Top with the Jack or mozzarella cheese then add other tortilla on top. Transfer to grill pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side until tortillas are golden brown and cheese melts. Cut into wedges and serve. (pg.133)  Delicious! Serve with sour cream or extra salsa for dipping.


My next inspiration came from the October issue of Rachel Ray's magazine and this is parsnip-apple soup. So delicious I just have to share!


Parsnip-apple soup

1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb. parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 apple peeled and cored and chopped
4 teaspoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

In pot, cook onion in oil over medium, 5 minutes. Add parsnips, stock, and apple; boil 15 minutes. Puree, thinning with water if needed; season. Top with cream and rosemary.  Serves 4  (pg.24)



And last but not least is this egg and crab bake that is so delicious!! You can premake it and store it in the fridge until ready to bake. Great for company visits too!

Egg and crab bake

6 eggs
About a pound of fresh crab meat
1 cup celery diced fine
1 cup grated sharp, cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

Beat eggs until light and frothy, then add crab meat, celery, cheese, mayonnaise, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix all well and put in 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole dish.
Mix bread crumbs and butter thoroughly and sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or so. Serves 6.  Although Jerry was hoping to eat the majority of it himself, lol.



                                                      Have a lovely Sunday afternoon!

                                                                       Blessings,

                                                                             Jill
     

5 comments:

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jill, now I'm hungry. Wow everything looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes too.
Loved catching up with you and your past post too. Always lots of fun at your house.
Have a great new week and thanks for stopping by and your sweet visit.
Hugs cm

Gina said...

Jill, I love quesadillas! Now I'm hungry!

I don't think I've ever tasted parsnips. If I'm brave, I may make this!

Always loving an egg bake!

*The giveaway actually is on after all. Hope to see you there!

Lea said...

Awe, thanks so much for stopping by. Always fun to meet a new blogging friend. These recipes sound great and I might just have to add their ingredients to my shopping list tomorrow. Happy new week!

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

These recipes look great. Thanks for sharing! I am going to make them all over the next month. They look delicious.

Sonya Ann said...

I'm always hungry when I leave your blog!!! Your family is blessed to have such a wonderful cook. Mine not so much!