Monday, October 19, 2015

For the Love of Dogs and in Memory of Cooper

Ever since I was young, I've had a dog to love. Up until this past Saturday we had 5 furry children whom we love. Skippy in the middle (Yorkie), is so hard to keep still I had to use a picture from summer to feature him, lol. Each one has a story..... Skippy we adopted and learned that his previous owner kept him outside tied to a tree with no food or water, until a neighbor called to report him. At first he was quite aggressive, biting, didn't want to be groomed, etc. Everyone said have him put down... we said no way.... he deserves a chance. We've had him for 10 years now and he is a different dog, very loving and no longer bites. The one annoying feature he has yet to give up though  is barking, lol. But he has come a long way!


Our sweet Bella we adopted also and she had been a breeder dog. She had  never been left out of her cage and hadn't seen grass before! She was so timid and scared for the first few weeks we had her, but boy did she bond with our other dogs and quickly became part of the pack. Now she is so loving and such a joy to have.


This Sunday they get groomed so she will be white again, lol... she loves digging and rolling in the yard and we can't keep her white very long!


Owen I found on online at the place we normally adopt; I hadn't been looking but I was on there to see what donations they needed and I saw him featured. I looked in his eyes and knew I had to have him. He reminds me so much of a dog I used to have named Baxter. I think he may be reincarnated as he is so much like Baxter that I lost several years ago. Owen was in a Tennessee kill shelter and when I saw his eyes I just knew he was meant to be with us. What a sweet, loving dog! I truly think things are meant to be. He sleeps with Kathleen every night and we just love him so much!




This is my dad and all our dogs love him so much! He's always had a way with dogs and they get so excited when him and my mom come to visit.



Patches was a housewarming gift to us from Jerry's step dad and has also been with us about 10 years. He's a sweetheart too, just loves being near you, but also very tough to get a picture of! I lucked out here with this one. :-)


And last but certainly not least is our sweet, sweet Cooper. We adopted him when he was 13 years old. His owner was being placed in a nursing home and his children wanted to put Cooper down. The place we adopted all our dogs through knew we would be a good fit for Cooper and said if we were interested in giving him a good home the rest of his days, they would cover the adoption cost. So while it wasn't in the plan to have 5 dogs.... how could we say no. He was filled with tumors all over and had trouble with his back legs but we vowed to give him the best years of the life he had left. We were blessed with 3 wonderful years.

This Saturday his body shut down and he went to heaven.... We miss him terribly. It's never easy losing a pet and we have been down this road a lot. But I am so thankful for the time we had with him and the joy he has brought to our lives. In the morning I keep waiting for him and realize he's not there... I get his food and treats ready and realize he's not there. Our hearts are aching with grief.....
It will take time I know, but so hard right now missing him and all he meant to us. I will see him one day at the Rainbow Bridge I know...... RIP sweet Cooper, I know your body is newly restored and you are running and playing like a puppy again and we love and miss you very much!




"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself"  Josh Billings

"Before you get a dog, you can't quite imagine what living with one might be like; afterward, you can't imagine living any other way"  Caroline Knapp

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"   Roger Caras

"Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day"   John Grogan

                                                                   Blessings,
                                                                        Jill

14 comments:

Linda said...

Bless all of you and your wonderful hearts!! I know your dogs love you every bit as much as you love them!!

aimee said...

So very sorry about the loss of your beloved Cooper. He was SO blessed to find a family like yours and I know that you KEPT your promise to make his last years the best! Hold on to the sweet memories and the love you all shared.
Blessings + Hugs,
Aimee

Billie Jo said...

So very sorry about your loss, my friend.
Rest in the peace that comes from the knowledge you gave him a wonderful, loving life.

Amy at love made my home said...

So sorry to hear about Cooper. I am very glad though that he had a great life with you and that he died being loved and happy and cared for! Hugs to you all. xx

McVal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! That was so nice of you guys to give him a hospice home in his final years...

McVal said...

I'm so sorry about your dog! That is so nice that you guys were able to give him a loving hospice home for his final years..

Carrie B. said...

In tears for you dear Jill (& family!) It's always so hard losing a pet...they are precious members of the family. And I also believe we will see them again one day and what a tremendous reunion that will be! You were so good to him and he was obviously very loved. xoxo
Blessings my Dear and may Cooper rest in peace.

Barb said...

Hi Jill~

I'm so sorry for your loss...Our hearts are never the same after owning a wonderful pet, and losing them is so hard! I think it's so awesome that you have adopted and rescued your furry friends, it takes a very special person to take in a troubled pet, and bring back the light in their little eyes. Cooper reminds me so much of a beloved little dog I had, named, Gabby, my heart just breaks for you -

Gentle hugs sweet friend,
Barb

Gina said...

God bless little Cooper. I am so sorry for your loss. I firmly believe that we will see our pets again. Your post is so touching. I just love dogs so much and I can see that you do too. Dogs have such a gentle way of loving us so unconditionally. {{HUGS}}

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I am so so so sorry- I can barely stand to read the words because my eyes well up with tears. Anyone that has ever loved a pet knows exactly how you all feel. Blessings- xo Diana

Julie said...

I am so sorry Jill. You gave him such an awesome ending to his much loved life. No matter if they are with us a long time or not they mean the world to us and us to them. I love the quote about dogs loving us more.
Blessing to you and yours.

Camille said...

Sorry for your loss of Cooper my friend. How attached we become to our furry friends! I am sure all your dogs love you as much as you love them. Hugs to you all. XO

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, Jill, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Cooper. You are such a dear to rescue all of these little lost souls and give them a loving home. They are all so darling. I lost my border collie, Champ in January. He was a rescue dog, too, and it just broke our hearts. You gave this sweet dog a loving home in his old age. You are an angel. x Karen

Tara said...

Oh Jill, I am so very sorry to read this post. My heart is there...hoping that your sweet memories will ease the ache. ~tara