Monday, October 26, 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook




Haven't done one of these posts in awhile, so making some time to do so today. :-) Linking up with Peggy here.


FOR TODAY: OCTOBER 26th, 2015

Outside my window:

Beautiful fall colors as we sit in the school room :-) Sunny and cool this morning and woke up with frost on the ground.



I am thinking:  About the holidays and my very long to do list!



I am thankful:  For all the delicious eggs our chickens have been producing and having a handy husband that has built them such a wonderful coop and insulated it for the winter. :-)



I am wearing: Black pants with a turquoise sweater.


I am creating: Ideas for my scrapbook pages I am hoping to work on this week.


I am going: To the library later and to get Hayley from school after her yearbook club. Then taking her to youth group and taking Kathleen to dance. Monday's are busy here.


I am wondering: If our winter is going to be as bad as it was last year with the cold temperatures and snow.

I am reading: This is a great book so far, full of suspense. I'm about half way through. You can find it here on Amazon.


 







This is one of my favorite children's books and I really recommend it for the little ones. A truly fun read! I read it to Kathleen for fun even though she's way past picture books. I love being animated when I read, from all those years of teaching. If you get a chance to read it yourself, you'll see why :-) Would make a great a great Christmas gift this year.









I am hoping: We get good news about something we are waiting to hear about soon.


I am learning: More and more about using computers and building my blog to do more public relations, advertising, etc. In this ever changing world of technology it is important to keep up with the times.


In my garden: We have picked the last of our tomatoes and cut down the remaining stalks. Soon to prep the ground for the Spring.


In my kitchen:  Making Strawberry Margarita Chicken Salad from the cookbook Robin Takes 5 by Robin Miller. Love her quick and easy recipes. This is really good and I make enough to send in with Jerry for work. He then shares it with a few of the guys who are bachelors and have no one to cook for them. :-)

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
Juice and zest of 1 lime
4 cups shredded or cubed chicken (rotisserie grilled, etc.)
1 cup halved strawberries
2 celery stalks, chopped

Whisk together the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon lime zest in a large bowl. Fold in chicken, strawberries, and celery. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (pg. 132) It's quite delicious and perfect for packing in Jerry's lunch with some burger rolls.






Also had to share our invasion of ladybugs outside our kitchen windows! LOL Guess we will have lots of good luck :-)



In the school room:  We have been very busy in the school room. Just finished reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for literature and in composition we are wrapping up our journal unit; although we will be journaling all year. Here Kathleen is cutting out some favorite things and then she will be writing about them. Writing takes lots of practice and work to develop strong skills, I love it and I am seeing her enjoying it as well. Also working on lots of math, history, science, art, music, vocabulary, spelling and more! Assessments are next week so lots of studying a prepping for that as well.



We had a beautiful view from our front porch the other day, so we sat there to work on journaling with the sights and sounds around us.


Bed head and all! That's the joys of home schooling. Comfort, beauty, opportunity to explore and appreciate all that is around us.



A favorite quote for today:

"You must do the things you think you cannot do"  Eleanor Roosevelt

A peek into one of my days: Teaching Kathleen to make her own grilled cheese sandwiches using our gas stove. :-)




One of my favorite things: Beautiful yellow roses.... always been one of my favorite flowers.



 If this is your first time here, welcome! Will be visiting blogs throughout the day, mostly this evening after school is done and all the running from activities! Have a wonderful week!!!

                                                                            Blessings,
                                                                                 Jill

7 comments:

Paula Kaye said...

I am visiting from Peggy's Simple Woman link-up. The view from your window is gorgeous. The recipe for chicken salad is being added to my repertoire. Your children are beautiful!!

Amy at love made my home said...

Lovely to catch up on what you are up to right now. I do hope that your news comes through soon and that it is good. xx

Billie Jo said...

That view!!!!!!!
And I am so glad you are enjoying homeschooling!
Happy Halloween Week!!!!

Elizabeth Quigley said...

Hi Jill,
It is nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by. I have an eating disorder that I am in treatment for. It has been a wild ride the past few months since I started treatment.
I love to scrapbook too.
Chat with you soon.
XXOO
Elizabeth

NanaDiana said...

This was a fun post! Lots of ideas and thoughts and inspiration. Fall is just settling down about us, isn't it...and thoughts of Christmas niggling in my mind also.
I am SO going to make that chicken!!!!
Hope you have a good night- xo Diana

Amy said...

Love your entry today! =) That chicken salad looks delicious. Your window view is so gorgeous!

Camille said...

Your schoolroom view is gorgeous. And....Christmas plans?! Isn't it amazing how quickly it sneaks up on us?? Happy nearly November! Hugs, Camille