Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Organizing and Donating Begins and a Weight Watchers Recipe

Well to start this post I have to say I had Jerry put on his hard hat when we starting organizing again this past weekend, lol. After his injury the weekend before I wasn't taking any chances ;-) Of course he didn't leave it on, but he did humor me, lol.



We are pulling every box and bin out in the basement and literally going through each one and trashing old paperwork and shredding old documents and donating as MUCH as we can! From all our moves we've rarely had time to unpack everything and sort it. And each house brought different decorating etc. This year I'm determined to let it go instead of constantly storing it!


It's amazing what you stumble across in boxes packed for years! I treasure my photos though, they won't be going anywhere and I need to get my scrapbook area set up again soon! I miss it :-)
This is me and one of my best friends when we went to Hershey park! I was a stick back then... lol!


                 Oh boy they found old scopes.... I won't be sharing those photos, lol. We are also in the process of finishing the basement so the girls have a place to go with their friends and I can have a small area to do my scrapbooks and they can do their crafts. Hayley's jewelry making has been on hold for over a year because everything has been packed away. :-( She's really talented and she's eager to get back into it.


Among the disarray we found an old Hershey park hat and a picture of Jerry and I from my senior week at Ocean city, Maryland in 1992! We haven't changed a bit ;-) Even though I know we are in the process of organizing seeing the boxes and bins pulled out stresses me, lol. We did have them all neatly stored on shelves. Jerry cut a few of the shelves out to give us more room and that way we won't store as much stuff.


More things pulled out from around the house. I am a neat freak and clutter drives me crazy so I have to get things back in order this year. The moving process is longer than you may think. Trying to readjust to a new space and work old items from another house in is tough to do. We went from close to 4,000 square feet to 2400 square feet so it's a lot of downsizing! Then of course there is never enough hours in the day to get things done.


Also was going through a lot of old papers I've kept from the girls. Just had to save this one Hayley did in first grade :-) These are the items I really need to get into a scrapbook!


Of course it's always humorous here when we do projects and this is how Jerry decided to hang our wedding photo that we moved from the dining room. ( dining room is another project on my to list, I'd like to get it painted and replace the very dated light!) He didn't want to drag out a ladder so he reached through the banister and relied on me to direct him where to put the screw in the wall that of course kept dropping down on the floor. It was a challenge to say the least and we were laughing so hard!


And here's the final result of his hard efforts! ;-) Kathleen gave us that sign on the left when we moved in. This year in May will be 22 years married and September will be 26 years together! :-)


This is a photo I found at a yard sale back in PA. and I was really drawn to it. It was also in my dining room but didn't go with what I want to do with it so we moved it to the laundry room. It looks nice in there and goes well with the light blue wall color.


I'm also making a commitment to get even healthier this year after all the stress we have been through. I'd like to lose some weight I've gained through this move so I joined the Weight Watchers online program. I've been trying different recipes and I'll be sharing some of my favorites here. This one is called Blueberry Cheesecake-Yogurt Bark and it's a great little low points treat. Only 1 smart point.

1 cup of plain low fat Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp Agave syrup
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup fresh blueberries
3 squares of graham crackers

Line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil that goes over the sides.
In a small bowl combine yogurt, agave, lemon zest and juice; fold in blueberries and 3 Tbsp crushed graham crackers. Spread in pan in an even layer and sprinkle leftover graham crackers on top.
Cover pan with foil and freeze at least an hour.
When ready to eat lift bark out holding foil. Cut into 8 even squares and slice in two triangles or leave as is (after cutting it) Store in sealed container in freezer.
Has a nice taste to it, especially when you are craving something sweet low in points. :-)

Tip: Take it out and let it thaw a bit before eating it, much richer and you won't break your teeth, lol!


" expect to pass through this life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good that I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now as I shall not pass this way again"   William Penn

                                                                       Blessings,
                                                                            Jill

11 comments:

Barb said...

Moving is so stressful, especially when you are downsizing, isn't it crazy how much we accumulate?! The more room you have the more you will save. Jerry's poor head looks way better, thank goodness for safety equipment . . . ;0) pictures are so important, and yours are so cute - I love your wedding picture, oh my, that dress is gorgeous!!

I need to get back on weight watchers, I did really good until Christmas, oops! The recipe looks really good. I've found that you can make almost anything a little lighter and WW friendly, just takes a little change on ingredients!

Don't work too hard!

Kris said...

Good morning Jillie Bean! What fun that Jerry is! He just cracks me up! Love your wedding photo! And the one from Ocean City too. Always fun to go through old photos.
I have been on the fence about going back to Weight Watchers. I think it is an excellent program. I lost 55 pounds on WW several yars. Most have found me again. But do I want to spend that money each week, when I know perfectly well what I need to do? I would rather spend that money on my house!
Good luck to you. Maybe we can cheer each other on!
xo Kris

Carrie B. said...

Hi Sweetie!! Great start to the New Year!! Won't it feel good to have all of that stuff organized? Half the fun is going through and finding such treasures though!

I LOVED the hanging wedding pic photos. I literally Lol'd!! That is so something my hubby would do too. ;)

I'm working to change habits and get healthier too. The most important part I think is not to look at it as a diet - but as getting healthier. Yummy recipe too! Thanks for sharing.
Blessings sweet Friend.
xoxo

Amy at love made my home said...

Sorting is very hard work isn't it and takes a lot longer than you think it will. It looks as though you are doing well though. Keep enjoying it and looking forward to scrapbooking all of the treasures that you find! xx

Nicolle said...

I'm trying to get back into blogging and visiting friends like you! Our home computer was down for months, so it was hard, and nearly impossible to do on my phone. I'm sorry to have read about Jerry's accident, and I'm so glad that he's ok. Sorting and donating are my love language...I feel so good getting rid of excess things! xo

Gina said...

Jill, I need your energy! Good for you on organizing and eating healthier! Love looking at the pictures. So cute the calendar one! I'm glad that Jerry is feeling better.

Blondie's Journal said...

Jill,

I really admire the progress you guys are making in picking things up and dealing with the clutter---it really is a group effort. And the memories...how fun but they do make you slow down a bit. Good luck. We will be 'moving back' into the lakehouse this spring and I really have to donate or sell a lot of stuff...not looking forward to it nor the unpacking and putting things away. Well, maybe I am...I miss my stuff!!!

You recipe looks fantastic! Healthy, too..Yay!

Thanks for your visits, I really appreciate them!

Jane

Camille said...

Decluttering and purging is a big job, but, it feels SO good when it is done! It's crazy how much we collect over the years, isn't it? Happy Saturday to you. Blessings, Camille

~ Noelle said...

I love going through old photos... it is such a great trip down memory lane.
I need to start back scrapbooking... one day... one day....

aimee said...

Congrats on your efforts in organizing and getting rid of the surplus! Tsk, tsk--those men of ours:) My hubby wouldn't have left on a hard hat either. LOL.
Blessings,
Aimee

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

I'm such a neat freak too and clutter drives me craaaaazy so I feel ur pain haha! But I certainly have my fair share of it!
That bark looks amazing thanks for sharing the recipe!