Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Day 1 of the Whole 30 Continued #recipes #whole30 #januarywhole30


Earlier today I wrote a post about starting the Whole 30,  if you like you can read it here. I wanted to do a quick follow up of the rest of the day.

For lunch I don't have a picture but I had all natural oven roasted chicken sliced. On the side I had some almonds (unsalted) and red grapes. I didn't include a vegetable at lunch but will be working them into my menus more often. ;-) 

Tonight I did roasted spaghetti squash. First I put holes in the squash with a fork and placed it in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften it. Then using a sharp knife I sliced it in half. I then lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil and placed the squash facing up to remove the seeds. After removing the seeds I sprinkled each half with olive oil and placed them face down, skin side up to bake for an hour.
When baked I scooped the insides out with a fork, it is just like noodles :-) Then I added a little salt and Thyme and served it alongside chicken meatballs.



The chicken meatballs were so moist and delicious... although I should have taken a picture before cutting them open on my plate, lol but I was hungry! My snack earlier was a pink lady apple (also delicious) I also had blueberries too. This dinner was a big hit with everyone and so was the chili I prepped for their lunches earlier.  (also in the first post) My family sampled a bowl tonight and loved it. :-)

I found the recipe for the chicken meatballs in Whole 30 the first book. I doubled it to feed my family of 4 and it went quickly!

Chicken Meatballs (page 226, Whole 30)

1 pound ground chicken
1 large egg beaten
1/4 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh Oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cooking fat (I used Olive oil)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I used aluminum foil)
Mix ingredients well and make into golf ball sized meatballs.
In  a frying pan add oil and brown meatballs on all sides, transfer to the baking sheet and cook about another 10 minutes or so until they are fully cooked. Let rest about 5 minutes and enjoy!!
These were really moist and so delicious!!



I always finish my evening with a hot cup of  natural tea and usually it has a little sugar and milk but tonight I am drinking a decaf peach tea from Teavanna! So delicious and perfectly steeped. Not missing the milk and sugar at all. :-)

I have also been drinking a lot of water throughout the day and overall feel pretty good. Was feeling a little hungry a few times, but not too terrible. Looking forward to day 2! ;-) Thanks for stopping by!

                                                                              Blessings,
                                                                                    Jill

2 comments:

Heather said...

Awesome!! I have done the whole 30 a few times it really gets you feeling better if you have been eating sugar and processed foods. I am doing it as well :) so I look forward to seeing what your eating for ideas haha Bone broth is also good to sip on like tea during the day helps with the detox and is quite filling lots of good stuff in it as well. Will make your hair and nails look great :) Happy New Year! ~Heather xx

mamasmercantile said...

Well done, I really need to start getting back on track with some healthy eating. Christmas is certainly an excuse for over indulgence.