Thursday, January 5, 2017

Day 3 of the Whole 30; follow up post for Day 2 #januarywhole30 #whole30 #cleaneating #recipes



"Living a healthier life is more than losing weight, it's about losing the mindset that got you there in the first place"     Elle Sommer

I love this quote so much. Sometimes in life we get so wrapped up in what's familiar, that we resist change even though we know it can be beneficial to our body and our minds. We all make mistakes, we all slip up at times, but that doesn't mean we have to quit during the process. If we have a bad day we can do better the next... the most important thing is we have to keep moving forward and create habits that will last. For each one of us that will mean something different.

Whether you are married, divorced, single, or a student you have control of your life and choices related to health. Sometimes it can more be an issue of willpower. If things don't go as well as you like health wise you have to look at what you can change. I find that keeping a written journal has helped me a lot. Just to record my daily life and food that I eat and how it makes me feel after wards. This makes day 3 of being on the Whole 30 for me and honestly I am feeling pretty good! So far not really craving anything... I'm focused on my health and being here for my family as long as God is willing to keep me here. To help others that may be on the same journey too. The biggest key to this success is planning and having the food you need on hand. Don't let your grocery supply get low and stick to your menu plans.

Take a few moments to just sit for a bit and look at this beach scene and imagine yourself sitting there and relaxing and planning what you want in your life. Being comfortable where you are at is not going to make the changes that you need. Take a few deep breathes and let go of what's been troubling you.... find your happy place. Don't stress about where to start, how to begin, etc. Don't be overwhelmed just make small changes and learn as you go. I am no expert on this program but I know already in 3 days I am feeling better...a bit more energized for my day especially starting with a great breakfast.



This is Day 3 for me but I wanted to catch up and post about DAY 2. Yesterday got a bit busy so I wasn't able to get the post up last night. This morning I am sitting in my sun room with a large Yeti full of water and watching the birds writing out this post. What a beautiful morning.....

Yesterday morning for breakfast I had hard boiled eggs,  fresh strawberries and I cooked the all natural apple chicken sausage. Unfortunately though the taste was great, I am allergic to the pepper so I couldn't get through the first bite. However the rest of my family loved it. It is from Billinski and I found the packs in Harris Teeter. (See grocery haul post 1) I also drank a cup of plain hot black tea.


I've been putting my food processor to good use, I made homemade mayonnaise with the recipe from the first Whole 30 book. (page 179)

Basic Mayonnaise

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

1 1/4 cups light olive oil

1 large egg (room temperature for about an hour sitting out or place in a bowl with warm water for 5 minutes before using)

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon (also one that has sat out in room temperature. Always good to keep a couple on the counter).

Place 1/4 cup of the olive oil, egg, mustard powder and salt in the blender, food processor, or mixing bowl. (I used my food processor) Mix thoroughly!

While the food processor is mixing (or blender or even an immersion blender) slowly drizzle the remaining cup of olive oil. My food processor has a small hole that allows me to feed it in while running quite easily, I can already see this has been a great investment!)

After adding oil and having the mixture emulsify, add the lemon juice blending on low or stir to mix it all together. Then store unused portion in a mason jar or other air tight container in the fridge and it will last about a week.


This is another favorite kitchen gadget of mine! When I need perfectly diced onions quickly I pull this out and it is awesome!! Simply lay the sliced onion (after peeling) on the grate and push down and it collects it in the bottom ready to go in your recipes!


This is a photo of the oil as it slowly drizzles into the mix.


Yesterday's lunch was Ranch Chicken Salad. I found this online searching for Whole 30 recipes but can't seem to remember whose site. I will say it is absolutely amazing! Jerry said it's probably the best he's had and my girls ate it up too. :-)

Another homemade mixture is the Ranch mix for this recipe (remember no processed ingredients on the Whole 30)

Ranch Mix

2 teaspoons salt
4 Tablespoons Parsley
3 teaspoon Dill Weed
2 teaspoon Dried Chives
4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
4 teaspoons Onion Powder
4 teaspoons Onion Flakes
2 teaspoon Black Pepper ( I eliminate due to allergy)

Mix all together in an air tight container. (Again I use a Mason Jar, they are cheap and so easy and versatile to use!) You can see the mixture in photo below.

I used food processor to easily chop the chicken. The pepper I hand diced when making the mayonnaise.

Ranch Chicken Salad

3.5 cups shredded/chopped chicken

1 cup celery chopped

1 sweet bell pepper chopped

1/4 sweet yellow onion chopped

1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise

1 Tablespoon dry homemade Ranch seasoning

Mix chicken, mayonnaise, and seasoning together until well blended. Then stir in celery, peppers and onion. CHILL in refrigerator at least an hour.... then enjoy!! Truly delicious :-)



It was perfect for lunch yesterday with my water, leftover spaghetti squash "noodles" from the dinner the night before and red grapes. You can get a sneak peek of my view of our back yard too :-)


Dinner was steamed shrimp cooked in a little olive oil and onions and garlic, my husband sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning on his. Then I made my own zoodles. I have a spiralizer to make the noodles from zucchini. Then you steam them and serve under the shrimp with a little salt or other seasoning you enjoy. We had fresh cut pineapple with this too. Sorry I forgot to get a picture as last night was very busy!

I make sure to fill my Yeti cup everyday with water and keep it with me throughout the day, even when I drive somewhere. This helps keep me hydrated all day long. :-)

Snacks are fruit or veggies or a  hard boiled egg. I find the pink lady apples to be quite delicious and satisfying early afternoon! ;-)

Getting healthy, eating well, exercise, meditation and well being are all parts of this journey. Connecting with nature for me has always been a way to relax and unwind and I enjoy taking care of the wildlife in our yard. Kathleen is my little helper when we carry around the bucket and cups to fill the feeders. One of her favorite parts is climbing the tree to dump the seed in lol. ;-) These are just a few of our bird feeders around the yard. :-)


                "The bird is powered by its own life and by its motivation."  A.P.J. Abdul Kalam



                              I will posting today's food this evening. Have a great day!!!


If you haven't read my start post about the Whole 30 you can find it here and the next one here

                                                                      Blessings,
                                                                           Jill

3 comments:

McVal said...

oooh.. That mayo looks great and I think I have all the ingredients!!! Might have to make some this weekend.
I've been dieting again. Have to lose 20 more pounds before the wedding in June. And so far so good! But I've been doing salads at lunch with loads of veggies, a little nuts and craizins on it. Oh and a can of chicken and then dressing.
What do you have for whole 30 salad dressings??
Each day of my diet, I've dropped at least a pound. I'm sure it will level off soon but in the meanwhile I'm pleased!

mamasmercantile said...

I really do need to get back on track and eat a healthier diet. Some great recipes.

Julie said...

Wish you lived closer, I'd like to share your lunch with you. :o)
You are off to a great start. So far so good here too except I have been sick since last April and with lots of doctoring I'm still not better but today tried the treadmill because my step count just isn't up there plus it's -20+ outside. Anyways, got hot, threw up, coughed tons and tons so need to reasset and maybe just start slower and plan on longer walks. I always seem to want to hurry even when I don't have to.
Keep up the great work Jill. Blessings!!