Thursday, January 12, 2017

Day # 9 of the Whole 30 and catching up #januarywhole30 #whole30 #cleaneating


"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"  Anais Nin


We received our first big snow here in our new home and it basically closed things down for awhile in the South, especially as far as school days go. The girls had off for 3 days from a snow we got Friday into Saturday. When they are home I always enjoy spending time with them so my blogging was put on hold; however staying committed to the Whole 30 was not ;-)

One day for lunch Kathleen wanted to make smoothies for us and she did a great job. Just added some frozen strawberries, grapes, ice cubes, little water; very simple but enough for a nice sweet, guilt free treat.




We enjoyed the smoothie with 2 hard boiled eggs, an apple and carrot slices with almond butter.


For dinner one evening I cooked turkey tenderloins in approved chicken broth and it was so moist and tender and delicious! I also roasted up some butternut squash, another delicious side we enjoy. Red grapes have become one of my favorite additions for something sweet to hold me over.


This recipe I found in the new Whole 30 cookbook page 121, is roasted chicken thighs. The book calls for skin on, but I made them boneless, skinless and they were delicious!

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
3/4 dried thyme crushed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( I leave out due to allergy)
12 bone in, skin on chicken thighs (I used boneless)

In large bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Add chicken and coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Remove chicken thighs from the marinade and lay skin side down on the baking sheet. Be sure to throw away the leftover marinade.

Roast thighs about 40 minutes and in that time be sure to rotate them at least once, until skin is browned and inside temperature reaches 170 degrees.  Enjoy!



Another delicious side from the new Whole 30 cookbook page 227, is Greek-Style Lemon Potatoes

1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried thyme crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano crushed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 medium russet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine broth, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, oregano, garlic, and salt in a large bowl and mix well.

Arrange the wedges in a single layer in a large baking dish (I used 9 x 13 pan) Pour broth mixture over top, cover with aluminum foil and bake; stirring once. Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Enjoy!



I also added peeled and diced fresh carrots after softening them up on the stove for a little bit. :-) Love how it release their flavor and you really don't need to add anything to them.


Delicious dinner and we are all finding on this diet we are getting fuller, faster! Small portions and we are done for the night usually. Sometimes I will have a piece of fruit with my hot tea in the evenings, but overall feel pretty satisfied.

I will admit about day 7 I struggled a bit; for some reason I was hungry and craving everything I shouldn't have. I think it was because Hayley's friend spent the night since they were off school and had chips, oreos, etc. LOL. But I stayed strong and did not cave in and I'm so thankful I didn't! This is a lifestyle change so I know I will have my challenges.

I also kept the promise to myself to make this my year to get healthy. I have been walking or getting on the elliptical each day. I also scheduled my doctor's appointments I have been putting off so next week I will be busy! On Tuesday I talk with a surgeon, Wednesday I get a mammogram and Thursday I see a cardiologist. In March was the soonest I could get a gyn appointment. I'm always so busy caring for others that I tend to put myself on the side. This year I need to do better and I am so far  :-)


Kathleen used her time off to start cleaning up her room and Skippy wanted to be her helper, lol. More like a supervisor I think! ;-)


                    She then had me come upstairs and read this sign on her dry erase board.


She had her room all cleaned up and a little scavenger hunt of surprises she did for me. This book is amazing. It has little coupons throughout for all different things. She even used paint sample cards from the local Lowes to use as tickets. She's so creative!


Those of you who follow my blog know she also likes to plan and serve lunches and dinners and I thought this menu was cute as she is trying to keep us on the Whole 30 plan. :-) Although we have no lunch meats on hand and so far only Boar's Head has some approved ones ;-) It's o.k. we got creative and used leftovers!


                                       My poor little turtle was buried in the snow for awhile.....


                                          We even had icicle sightings here in the South!



         I left some of my Christmas decor out as it seems to go with our cold, snowy days :-)


This morning after we had warm temperatures yesterday, this was pretty much all that was left of the snow.... Kathleen's fort :-) The girls finally went back to school, though it will be a short week! It's also Hayley's finals week for this semester so we have to wait to see how they will reschedule everything.


The cats were happy to take up their usual post at the front door to watch Hayley get on the bus :-)


Kathleen has discovered Harry Potter and we have been working on watching all the movies, though I told her and Hayley both they must read the books! So much detail in them. I read all of the them years ago except the last one... I still don't know what happens, lol... but the 2 part Movie 7 is next on our list!

And as the house becomes quiet again this morning, I plan out my menu for next week and blog to start the day. Then I have about a mile long to do list to tackle ;-) Although my laundry was started early this morning. Back to the normal routine!

                                                                    Enjoy your day!



                                                                          Blessings,
                                                                                Jill

8 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I enjoyed catching, Jill. Good for you all on the Whole 30!! Thanks for the recipes. I don't do Whole 30 but they sound yummy. Seems like you have a lovely girl (little lady) in the making!!!

Billie Jo said...

Hi Jill!
I am so inspired by you.
Although I cannot commit to the entire program, I am thankful you share the recipes!
The chicken looks amazing.
Good for you for scheduling the appointments.
Something I really dislike doing, but know it is necessary.
Enjoy you back to cozy day, my friend!

mamasmercantile said...

We are awaiting the storm to hit where snow has been predicted but nothing thus far. They look like great recipes.

McVal said...

Kathleen is a real sweetie! Well, both your girls are. You're very blessed.

Seasons Time said...

The new home is lovely
Kathleen has grown up so much
We both have a turtle :)
Hoping to start catching up

NanaDiana said...

I am working the Whole 30, too, just a tad more modified this time-but so far-so good!! I just love your little Kathleen. She is so sweet. My SweetCheeks has read all the Harry Potter books, too-including the last one. I bought it for her when it first came out and I don't think she did a thing from the time she got it until she finished it. Luckily, she is a fast reader. She said it was wonderful. She is all about Harry Potter- or HP as she calls him. lol

Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

Nonnie said...

Your little Kathleen is not only creative, but just so very thoughtful and sweet to her mother. What a treasure. All of the food looks delicious, although I would have to substitute chicken breasts for the chicken thighs. Your home is positively a dream house in the woods and I would love it there. Kathleen's fort is terrific. What fun!

Amy at love made my home said...

Glad you are enjoying your new eating plan. Hope that the snow is gone for you now. Ours came and went yesterday, I hope that it will not be back!