Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Decorating for Valentine's Day and a Little Flashback Post



Love in a family should be celebrated every day, but in tradition we also take special note of Valentine's Day and the fun that comes with it. As I do every year we put out the mailboxes the girls decorated when they were little and each day we write a note to each other telling something we love about them. :-) I keep a little basket with pens and decorative Valentine's paper for us to choose from and write our special notes.


                     Mirabelle was even quite curious when Kathleen sat down to write hers. :-)


   I put little special touches around the house to decorate and make the month a little more special.



            There will of course be a Valentine's tea on Valentine's day I will be featuring soon ;-)


                                         This is just a little sneak peek of what is to come!



             There is always some delicious goodies baking in my oven during this time of year!



"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul"  Judy Garland




                         "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing"  Blaise Pascal


Susan Branch... who doesn't just love her and her books! I was lucky to find this one at our local Goodwill as many of her older books are out of print or hard to come by! Here's a recipe for chocolate mousse found inside this charming book :-)

8 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup of sugar
2-3 tablespoons lukewarm water
2 egg whites
2 cups heavy cream

Melt chocolate in top of double broiler. Cook rum and sugar over very low heat until sugar melts (don't let it brown).

Add sugar syrup to the chocolate (should be about the same temperature)

Beat in 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water; set aside.

Beat egg whites till stiff, whip cream and fold together. Beat chocolate again if it has thickened, add one more tablespoon of water. Fold chocolate into cream and spoon into individual serving dishes or wine glasses. Chill!     Enjoy :-)



                  "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved"  George Sand



"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own" H. Jackson Brown, Jr.



"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."  Lao Tzu




"Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love"  Mother Teresa


                       "Grow old along with me the best is yet to be..."   Robert Browning


The girls and I have always enjoyed celebrating holidays together and I thought I'd share this post from when Kathleen was little and we celebrated Valentine's day at the Nature Center we used to go to for different programs. This was back when we lived in Pennsylvania. :-) Wish I could just slow down time some days... they are growing up way too fast!

                                                                          Blessings,
                                                                               Jill


5 comments:

Dianna said...

Jill, I loved this post! I'm excited to see about the Valentine Tea on Valentine's Day! That will be so special. As I was looking through the pictures I noticed that your seats of your chairs are upholstered with the same material as ours! And your lovely mantle is decorated so beautifully. The brick at the fireplace is like what we had in our home before we moved here...complete with the fireplace insert. :-) Very enjoyable post.

Katie Clooney said...

Jill... I love all your valentine touches around your home. I am a big fan of Susan Branch's as well. I think that's the sweetest idea of having the Valentine boxes of yesteryear and putting sweet notes in them. Hope you have a great week.

Carrie B. said...

Love all of your touches dear Lady!! And I love Susan Branch too! Your mantel looks so pretty. ;) And I love the little mailboxes idea - precious! Can't wait to see more about the tea. You know that's right up my alley. Lol
Blessings. xoxo

McVal said...

So sweet traditions! For Valentine's day, I'll be lucky if we remember to get Leon's valentines popped into his school bag before the day. When the kids were younger, we'd give them valentines and little gifts, but that kind of went away... So nice that you're able to keep it going!

Debby Ray said...

I love the idea of those cute little Valentine mailboxes...such a sweet thing to do! When my kiddos were young I decorated a bit for V-Day but haven't for a while now. Your decorations are lovely!