Friday, February 3, 2017

Finishing the Whole 30, a recipe and my results :-) #whole30 #januarywhole30 #cleaneating


**NO DAIRY, NO SUGAR, NO SWEETENERS, NO ALCOHOL, NO GRAINS, NO LEGUMES (including peanuts, corn and peas!), NO BAKED GOODS and NO PRESERVATIVES!**

**What can you eat? MEAT, SEAFOOD, EGGS, VEGETABLES, FRUIT and NATURAL FATS.**


Yesterday was our final day on the Whole 30 lifestyle change. I don't really like to call it a diet because it's really about raising awareness of your body and what it needs and what it doesn't need. For me anyway, it was eye opening to the amount of sugars and junk I was eating prior to being more conscious of what I eat.

I am so happy to report that I lost 13 pounds!!!!! Literally that was just changing my eating as I haven't gotten on a great exercise schedule yet, but that is next on my goal list for the upcoming months. :-)

During this Whole 30 time period I am making doctor appointments that I have put off for way too long. Monday I'm scheduled for a cat scan so if you can send some good vibes my way that would be most appreciated.

I also had a mammogram and was called back due to some masses and areas that they were worried about. Well literally my world felt upside down. I had to go back for more screening and an ultrasound and they gave me results the same day and said it did NOT look like cancer and I could come back in a year. I cannot tell you how relieved I was, like I had been holding my breathe for days. So many things going through my mind.... and I do think that being on the Whole 30 has also been a wake up call to how important it is to take care of ourselves. We all "know" it, but following through seems to be put on the back burner as life tends to "get in the way" so to speak. We need to start listening to those gentle nudges our bodies are giving us and say "hey! I deserve better than this!"

Some of my snacks on the Whole 30 would include coconut milk and a banana. I'm NOT a fan of coconut but I learned to try new things and even tolerate it. :-) It's part of the growing process towards better health. Snacks aren't necessarily encouraged as they would like to to try to stick to 3 good meals, but some days I was feeling a bit shakey and just needed something. It also helped so I didn't cave and grab the wrong foods.


For lunches I would keep it pretty simple, unsweetened tea or water was usually my drink. I also have a glass of lemon water every day, usually early in the morning. On this day it was Boar's Head turkey breast. No preservatives or sugars!! Boar's Head is the only one we could find compliant. Red grapes which as I mentioned before became one of my favorite sweet treats ;-) Sauteed potatoes cooked in olive oil and onions.


Another day I had leftover roast chicken, red peppers dipped in Tessemaes ranch dressing. (They are the only Whole 30 approved salad dressings that I could find so far) You have to read the label as a couple include honey so they would NOT be compliant :-) You will find them in the refrigerated section. If you visit their website you can find the packets which are perfect for traveling. Fresh pineapple also a favorite of mine now. We invested in a pineapple cutter and it's the best thing we've ever done for pineapple snacks, lol. So easy to slice them up and enjoy. I highly recommend getting one.


Another evening for dinner I made salmon, which Kathleen absolutely loved! I just followed the book's suggestion for cooking it and that was lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, spreading olive oil over the parchment paper, laying the salmon scale side down, sprinkled the top with salt and baked at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes until done. It was very moist and delicious! I served it with chopped steamed broccoli and sauted squash cooked in olive oil.


I made Chicken Cacciatore from the Whole 30 book (page 334) one night too. I chose to do just chicken legs because it's what I had on hand, but here is the recipe. Very good!

4 Tablespoons cooking fat
1 pound chicken legs, bone in, skin on
1/2 pound chicken thighs, skinless
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 onion minced
1/2 red pepper finely diced
1 cup mushrooms sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth or water
1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, rough chopped. (I didn't have fresh on hand so I sprinkled in a little of the dry spice)

In a skillet with a high edge, add 2 tablespoons of the cooking fat and be sure to cover all of the pan. Season chicken with the salt and pepper and sear until golden brown about 3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan on medium high heat, add rest of cooking fat, onions and peppers and saute 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and continue to cook and stir. Add the garlic until it all becomes aromatic, then add capers and diced tomatoes.

Return the chicken to the pan and cover everything with the chicken broth or water. Reduce to a medium and let everything simmer. Then turn it to low to cook for 30 minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Garnish with chopped basil and serve!





I roasted up some butternut squash by adding olive oil and salt to it and baking in the oven until softened. This was as it was going into the oven. I just love roasted vegetables!



I will say that it was a challenge to our grocery bill, that's why some of the meals became quite simple and not too elaborate. I definitely feel better and think it was so worth! I may add some things back in, but I am still going to be conscious of what I eat and a lot less sugar intake. Going to the doctors my blood pressure had been elevated and I noticed that it is getting a little better by changing what I'm eating already. They wanted to start me on medications but for now I told them I'd like to try the diet and exercise angle first. So right now they agree as long as it doesn't get worse. :-)

It also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to eliminate all those things. Of course I'm pretty determined when I set my mind to something ;-) I just kept telling myself, this is a good thing... I need to take better care of myself! So would I recommend the Whole 30? Yes! Absolutely! Does it work? Yes! Absolutely! :-)

I couldn't resist adding these pictures of Kathleen's latest creation with her crocheting. She attempted her first hat and I am so very proud of her and this is how it turned out! When she sets her mind to something she figures it out and accomplishes it! :-) Just look at that smile!





And then of course I needed to add a little humor to the fact that this was a tough "diet" for 30 days! LOL


Thank you all for following along with me these past 30 days. I am including the links from my earlier posts as well. Have a wonderful weekend!!











"The secret of getting ahead is getting started"  Mark Twain

Blessings,
Jill

10 comments:

Dianna said...

Well done, You! That is amazing to have lost that much weight in 30 days. I lost 15 a year ago but it took me 3 months. I am really proud of you, Jill! I'll have to do some thinking about this.

Thank you for the recipes you shared. I know that I thought some of them looked really good when you shared them in each post. I want to try some of them.

I'll be praying for you on Monday. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay with your mammogram. I had one of those like that in 2015 and ended up having to have a biopsy done. Everything went well for me, too.

Kathleen did a super job on her hat. I crochet as well and I am glad she has that determination to make something work.

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Awesome job. Congrats. Your daughter did a great job.

Patsy in Nixa, MO said...

I just checked some of your older posts to see what you eat on the Whole 30 plan. Also saw all the snow. You're not near my neck of the woods. We had two very light snowfalls - one didn't cover the grass and the other lasted only a day.

Billie Jo said...

Jill,
Congrats to you!
And thank you for the recipes.
I am so very happy that things went well with your mammogram.
I have had the same thing with fibrocystic breasts, and have an ultrasound most every time.
It literally panics me...I have a wonderful doctor who understands my anxiety.
Prayers for next week as well. : )

NanaDiana said...

Good for you! You made it-Congratulations. The 2nd phase of Whole 30 is much easier...I got off it completely and it is hard to get back on it...so stay as close to it as you can. I KNEW you would have a good weight loss. I am thrilled for you!
That is so scary to have a mammo that needs follow up. That happened to me several years ago, too. VERY SCARY. I am glad everything is okay there.
Praying for your upcoming scan.
Kathleen's hat is very, very cute. xoDiana

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Congratulations on completing the whole 30 days. The program sounds pretty simple and so healthy. Thanks for sharing the meal plans - they do look delicious. After the holidays I always need to have a re-set. Too many carbs and goodies......I have my new fit-board and need to start a daily routine. You are an inspiration! Love Kathleen's hat. You have some very creative and talented girls. Hope you have a lovely weekend! xx K

mamasmercantile said...

Well done on your weight loss and completing your challenge, hope all goes well with your scan this next week and that you have no further health issues. Take care.

Carrie B. said...

Great job Jill!! YOu made it and should be so proud of yourself - great weight loss and better health! That's just awesome!! ;) And of course the healthy things you learned along the way and probably what works for you and what doesn't ...so you can stick with a healthier lifestyle overall.

And Kathleen's hat is adorable!! Annie and I want to learn crochet at some point in the future. It looks so fun. ;)

Blessings on your weekend Sweetie! xoxo

Linda said...

Congratulations, Jill!! You are pretty amazing!! Wish I had your will power!

Hena Tayeb said...

wow that is amazing Jill, congratulations!
and a big yay for Kathleen and her hat..