Monday, March 6, 2017

Catching Up and a Recipe for Chocolate Lasagna


The flu has found me these past few days and it has NOT been fun. Ugh... nothing worse then being laid up when you have so many things you want to get done.


Mirabelle has been faithfully by my side as I travel between the bed and my lounge chair.... such a sweetheart :-)


Thought I'd make this a little catch up since not feeling so well. This picture of Kathleen on the cart was from when we were shopping at Lowes to replace the toilets in our house. She was tired of walking and waiting...lol.


The same weekend we were pricing some items to get started on our garden and I came across these harnesses for walking chickens! I was pretty surprised as it hadn't really occurred to me to walk a chicken.... we've talked about the portable yards to move them from place to place during the day... but never to walk them, lol. Has anyone done this with their chickens??? I'd love to hear how it went.


I made this Chocolate dessert for our company a couple weeks ago and it was a big hit so I thought I'd pass along the recipe ;-) No calories of course... LOL

Chocolate Lasagna

1 package, 36 Oreo cookies
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 - 8 ounce cream cheese at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/4 cups milk, plus 2 Tablespoons divided
1 tub of Cool Whip
2 (3.9 ounces) packages of instant chocolate pudding
Mini chocolate chips


Use a food processor to crush up Oreos. (or place in large bag and roll over with rolling pin to smash them up finely)

In a medium bowl pour crumbs in with the melted butter and stir until completely mixed.

Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and use a spatula to press crumbs evenly into dish.

In the same bowl add the cream cheese and beat with hand mixer until fluffy. Add 2 Tablespoons of milk and the sugar and mix well.

Fold in half of the Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture.

Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cookie crust and place in fridge for at least 10 minutes.

While it's setting, in a large bowl add the pudding mixes and 3 1/4 cups milk and beat on medium speed until pudding starts to thicken.

Spread pudding mixture over the cream cheese mixture and put in the fridge to set at least 15 minutes or longer.

Once set spread the remaining cool whip over the top and add the mini chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge or 1 hour in the freezer before slicing.

Enjoy!


Trees are blooming even more around the yard and I love capturing their early blooms!! This is a weeping cherry in our front yard... Jerry's favorite tree :-)


                        Sun was just beginning to rise today as we headed out to the bus stop :-)


Jerry has been so great helping around the house this weekend with the girls and cooking meals and running errands so I could get some rest. I am so very blessed to have him by my side :-) He even managed to go out and start some of the never ending yard work like raking up all the pine needles around the yard and adding it around the base of the trees. Definitely a cleaner look to the front yard and this is just a small section.

You may remember this post from last summer. Kathleen worked hard with my dad and then with Jerry to uncover what was hidden under all that ivy and they rebuilt the brick planter and added mums and more recently tulip bulbs to it. You can now see the green of the mums as they are coming back and soon we hope to see the tulips bloom! I love how it turned out and all the hard work, love, sweat and effort that was put into it :-)

On some sad news something got to one of the ducks and sadly Kathleen was the one to find him dead... pretty traumatic for her. We so love the animals.... The neighbor said he had them for 20 years... but they are always in our yard and 3 stay in our pond all the time. There were 8 total and now to 7. The even sadder thing is there were eggs destroyed right by her so she must have been protecting her nest. So heart breaking....

                                   Hope you all have a great week! Thanks for stopping by!


                                                                          Blessings,
                                                                                Jill

12 comments:

Vee said...

So sorry that you have been under the weather...hopefully, you are on the mend and that everyone else in the house will remain vertical. Those chicken harnesses are funny! My niece has a birthday this month and she raises chickens. That would make a fun gag gift for her. Oh the circle of life can be pretty brutal. Sad to see the critters get hurt, but it is definitely nature's way. Looks as if spring is springing your way...I'll just enjoy yours.

Carrie B. said...

Having the flu is the worst!! I hope you're feeling better Sweetie!

Your forest...er yard (Lol) is looking lovely and getting all cleaned up for Spring! I'll just keep living through you since our Spring takes forever to fully show up. ;)

That lasagna looks SO good - and so dangerous!!! Mmmmm
And what a sad story about Mama duck. Just doing what any Mama would do to protect her babies. :( Give Kathleen a hug for me.

Blessings to you xoxo

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jill, I so hope you feel better soon. I know the flu is not fun. So sorry about the ducks. It is sad when something like this happens and I hate that Kathleen was the one to find them.
Oh my goodness your lasagna looks divine!! I'm sure it was delicious!!
I've not heard of the chicken harness but when we had a goose living in Indiana, my hubby walked it. It was hilarious to see with a collar and dog leash.
So glad you are joining in the teacup/mug exchange this season. You will love it and make 2 new friends. Well wishes sent your way.
Blessings, xo

NanaDiana said...

I am so sorry to hear that you have had the flu on top of everything going on there. That is all you need!!!! Hope you feel better by the hour.
Love Kathleen sitting on the dolly. Too funny.
I am sorry about the duck. It is always sad to lose any kind of animal that is around your place whether you actually pet them or not...and sad about the eggs. Sounds like the work of a fox to me.

I can't IMAGINE walking a chicken...nor would I want to---even though I love chickens. lol xo Diana

Barb said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry you have the flu!! Stay down as long as you can, you have some amazing help to get you through...get well quickly!

I love your . . . forest . . .it's so pretty, and also lots of work, but it sure is gorgeous!

Kathleen always makes me smile! I would ride on those carts too if I thought I could get away with it.

I hate it when an animal dies, it's always so hard. I'm so sorry Kathleen had to find her, it's one of those life lessons you wish your kids could avoid...hugs to her.

I actually see people walking goats here in Idaho, so a chicken collar does not surprise me, but is sure is funny@

Get well quickly!

Hugs,
Barb

Dianna said...

I am so sorry that you've been under the weather this past weekend, Jill. I am glad that you have a wonderful hubby who looks out after things so you can get the rest that is needed.

I am really sorry to hear about Kathleen finding the duck. I know she must have been quite upset.

I'll be praying for you this week, my friend.

Blondie's Journal said...

The flu...ugh. I can identify. You are fortunate that your family is helping around the house and letting you rest. be well soon.

The chocolate lasagna is similar to something my daughter in law makes...I have to compare notes. I went gaga over it! It definitely serves a crowd.

I feel so sorry about the duck. I love all creatures. On the lake we see things like this quite a bit.

Get well, Jill!

Jane x

Billie Jo said...

Jill,

I hope you are feeling better...
Adn thanks for the recipe.
Looks amazing!

McVal said...

Happy Spring!! I'm sorry you've been feeling icky. The recipe's photo alone could wreck my diet...

Gina said...

I hope you are feeling better Jill. {{HUGS}}

Linda said...

Playing catch up with your blog today and loved reading this post! I am in the country today and my job is to gather the new chickens and put them in a portable pen up by pur camper.Those chicken harnesses would sure come in handy in avout an hour!!

Madison Marie said...

Chocolate Lasagna looks AMAZING! Just reading all your recent blog posts now :) Love your blog!