Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Remembering My Mom on her Birthday. Visiting Pilot Mountain, Old Salem and a Memorial by Our pond.


"I miss you visiting favorite places, I miss you going to new spaces. I miss you late into the night, I miss you at dawn's first light. I miss you when sadness is around, I miss you when joy is found. I miss you when the lights come on, I miss you when the day is done. I miss you on your special day, I miss you like it was yesterday. I miss you at no special time, I miss you today with every rhyme. "  Tanya Lord

On September 23rd, 2017 my mom would have turned 71 years old. I miss her so very much, my heart just hurts all the time. Still in shock of how suddenly she was taken. Still angry that she had finally moved closer to me and then she is gone too quickly... hard to process. I'm taking it day by day, the best I can and thinking of the good times.... spending time with my dad.... wishing my sister was closer too. Just a hard time all around.

I wanted to do something special for mom to honor her memory and my mom always liked to travel and see and try new things. So we picked up my dad and had him spend the day with us celebrating my mom and things she would have enjoyed doing.


Pilot mountain was a perfect choice. The beauty and the peacefully found here was needed that day. This is one of the places my dad said him and mom wanted to see so we made sure to include that in the day.



The views from where we climbed up too were just incredible. I could feel her presence with us and we saw several black butterflies flying near us too through out the day. Those of you following me for awhile know what the butterflies mean. :-)


There are quite a few pictures in the post, but I couldn't not include them. All part of this beautiful day.





 Yes... I wear pigtails proudly, lol especially in 90 degree temperatures, but I was determined to hike it for my mom.



                 There were a few foggy/hazy patches but breathtakingly beautiful nonetheless.








                                                   Girls found a cute little caterpillar :-)


                                                                Can you see him?? :-)






That's my dad on the top left overlooking the beautiful view. 72 years old and climbing and hiking easily. It's always been one of his favorite things to do.


                                                             Well worth the hike I'd say ;-)



                                  Pure beauty, peaceful ... I needed this time with nature.



                                                                            Jerry and I


                                                    Kathleen and I, she's my mini me :-)


                                                                           Hayley and I :-)

If you notice our necklaces, they are memorial necklaces and they were made with some of my mom's ashes intertwined in the stone we chose a blue one for her birthstone. I wear it always to have her near me. My dad, Jerry and the grand girls and my sister have one too. My dad and Jerry have crosses.


                                       Me and my dad.... we may or may not look alike ;-)




After hiking at pilot Mountain we decided to take my dad to Old Salem to enjoy some history. Another thing both my mom and him enjoyed. I had been wanting to take them.


                                                    Beautiful flowers outside the museum.




We enjoyed a great lunch at the Flour House tea room. My mom always loved tea and tea parties and passed that love on to me and the girls. We had to have her birthday lunch here and it was perfect. The tea room is located inside Old Salem.



        This hummingbird plate reminded me of her too, she loved hummingbirds and so do I :-)








                                                       Hayley loves her macaroons! ;-)





We had to laugh at Jerry as he was trying hard to finish some of the leftovers but just didn't have much room left, lol.


          A wonderful lunch and great service. Highly recommend it if you are ever in the area. :-)




We toured several of the houses while we were there, but being later in the afternoon didn't get to see everything. Loved all the history and the tour guides are very knowledgeable and kind.



                                 Just a little tour through some of the things we saw.




                            Such a simpler way of life.... we could all use this some days.






How many feet must have roamed these very halls and still do today! I love learning about the past and their families and ways of life.





                                    Anyone else's linen closets this neat and bare? ;-)







Afterwards we went to a great little ice cream shop for a treat! I thought Hayley's chocolate ice cream looked like a gorilla from the side! LOL What do you think? ;-)


      We told dad he had to try the apple pic ice cream and he was happy he did! So delicious!!!


                                        Hayley was really enjoying her chocolate cone :-)


                                      Another must visit place if you are ever in the area :-)


                                   Silly girl...... lol.... definitely enjoyed her ice cream too!


                     Jerry has sensitive teeth so he opted for the chocolate covered strawberries :-)



                                      We had to have a little snapchat fun with dad, lol!!! :-)


After a long day we came home and spread rose petals across the pond from my mom's dear friend Sheila. She sent them to my mom for her birthday in her memory. We had such a beautiful day and a nice time. I know mom would have enjoyed it. Tears.... yes lots.... but we feel she would have love the day and we know she was with us in spirit.



Me with my dad and the girls and my mom and dad's fur babies Henry and Stella. They miss her so much too. In the background is the memorial bench Jerry made for my mom.



                           I miss you every day mom... everything is different without you....

                                                                           Blessings,
                                                                                Jill

10 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A beautiful tribute to your Mom -- hugs to you.

Billie Jo said...

Dear friend,
Where do I begin?
You are a wonderful daughter to celebrate your beloved mother with your sweet father.
The day looks amazing...bittersweet, difficult, fun, and adventurous all in one.
My heart is with you as you continue to adjust your new normal.
I wish I could tell you it gets easier.
In some ways it does.
But the void is always there.
And your baby?
She looks soo much like your dad!!!!
Hugs. : )

Billie Jo said...

OH.
And I forgot to ask...
What exactly is that creepy looking caterpillar looking yellow thing?????
We had one up here awhile back and I had no idea.
Ick!!!

Julie said...

Jill, I cry and I cry a lot still. I haven't got passed anything yet. My mom is a handful though she is trying. I wish daddy was here. I miss him so much. So my dear friend, I understand 110%. Your tribute to your mama was wonderful. Your daddy looks amazing and you guys all look so much alike.
One day at a time Jill, that's all we have to do. You know what I miss the most, I have no one to walk with me, hike with me or even go garage saling with. That was such a big part of daddy and I and no one here are walkers/hikers/salers. Adjusting, or trying.
Blessings Jill. Keep up with these awesome sharings. I so love to read them.

Barb said...

Hi Jill~

What a great tribute trip for your mom! I loved every photo, and looked at them way more than one time, they were beautiful!! You really are blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the country. I especially loved the photo with, beautiful you, and your beautiful daughters... :0) Your dad looked happy, I know that it probably meant the world to him to have you and your family with him on your mom's birthday. I know that she was with you as well, they are never very far away, especially when we need them. And I just love the necklaces, what a wonderful and treasured gift.

Thank you for sharing this special day with us...it was very special.

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Aw! Beautiful way to celebrate your dear Mom, Jill. Losing our loved ones is so hard and you never stop missing them. Time will help ease the pain in your heart as you focus on keeping her legacy of love alive. I know it is hard to believe you will ever feel happy and whole again, but one day your broken heart will heal. Lovely photos of your special day with your beautiful family. Sending hugs and blessings xo Karen

Saimi said...

Hi Jill,
We seem to have some mutual blogging friends in common so I thought I'd stop in and say hi and pay my respects. I am so sorry about the loss of your mother, she left this world way too soon and I can't even imagine the hole it will leave in your heart. You did a wonderful thing with your family and dad by taking the day and celebrating your mom. That hike looks amazing and all the fun places you visited and yummy foods you ate was a perfect birthday celebration. Sounds like a tradition in the making!
Take care Jill
Hugs to you and your family
Saimi

McVal said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! I love the necklace idea too.
What a beautiful day.

Nonnie said...

Jill, what a beautiful, wonderful and thoughtful day and way to celebrate your Mom's birthday. You and your family always amaze me with the creative ways you show love for each other and so often. Your Mom and Dad surely must have taught you love like that. I'm sure the day meant a lot to him to be with you as you all remembered her in this special way. All the pictures are wonderful and how I would love to visit that place. I also could eat a gorilla ice cream cone! God bless you and give you peace. Your husband is a dear to have made that memorial bench for you.

Annesphamily said...

Hi Jill, this is a lovely tribute to your mom. Another blogging friend lost her mom so unexpectedly this year too. This time of year is sad for me. My mom will be gone 16 years next month. I miss her every day. I hope you are doing well too. It is always my pleasure to stop by and say hello. I felt like I was neglecting ym blog and friends so I am staying away from social media and enjoying cheerful moments here. Blessings, Anne